RedRunner

Almost A Member
Jul 15, 2016
Stanwood
Name
Josh
Boat
Northwest SeaStar
In need of some help here. Both Gateway Trailers and Six Robblee's have been useless for a week.

My trailer is eating wheel bearings on the passenger side rear axle and has now completely fucked the spindle beyond use. Pretty sure the spindle got bent coming back from Montana last year hunting. I've had it on scales to make sure it's balanced both before and after Montana so I'm confident that not what's going on.

I have the full build specs for the axle, including original PO from Gateway to Dexter. Six Robblee's has sat on the info for a week without a quote back but tells me to expect 8-10 weeks for a replacement. I call everyday...same bull shit. Gateway hasn't responded to 3 voicemails and the front desk chick is worthless at finding someone to let me know if they have an extra axle at their shop.

Other Dexter distributors locally are either RV or mobile home dealers and it's like I'm speaking Chinese when I call about a replacement boat trailer axle. Is there any other options? Can anyone local reweld a spindle if I got my hands on one?

Upvote 0

Emz

someone check my bait while I go....
  • Mar 13, 2008
    Bothell, WA
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    Defiance 250 (Doris Ann), Wellcraft 26 (Doug Out) Whaler 16 SL (Bull Pen) Livingston 8 (Short Stop)
    Reactions: RedRunner
    Upvote 0

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
  • Apr 3, 2008
    Stanwood, WA
    Name
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
    Have a painted trailer with new disks brake actuator on a springed axle. 3500 with good tire. Been sitting in my front pasture. My son bought a new trailer last year. Galvanized for his old boat. Buy it and pull the parts you need and scrap the rest.

I had to call Dexter Axle to describe my three axles. They gave me the p/n to order from 6robblees. Pricey back in 2012 with shipping but worth it.

Or look at a new trailer or find a good Galvanized one I like bunks better than a roller.

Upvote 0

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    I had the same issue for a few years and just bit the bullet and went and bought a new trailer from Dave. Dealing with 6roblees was an absolute joke and any shop wanted close to the same price as new to fix my axles and install new brakes. So happy I dont have to worry about that pos ruining my trips anymore with blown bearings every few months. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

Probably not the answer your looking for but trailer parts are outrageous and no one can ever get them in a timely manner so you have to take that into consideration too.

Upvote 0

JoeInMN

Fishing from 40 below to 120 above..
    Sep 10, 2017
    minnesota
    Name
    Joseph Koep
    Boat
    American Angler , Ice Castle Fish House
    Just ran across this somehow. You can contact a local FleetPride, or other heavy truck parts supplier I buy dexter parts and axles from them for my equipment. They will get you anything you need.

You could also check with a local Diesel repair shop that does a lot of tractor trailer work. They usually have a guy they know who comes and does spindle replacement on site they could refer you to,

I have not been out in Washington but my company sends me around the country to shops helping get fleets into shape almost everywhere I have been there is some guy who does spindles.

Reactions: goatram and Elkfins
    Upvote 0

Cohoho

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 19, 2010
    Lake Tapps, Washington
    Name
    Cohoho
    Boat
    COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
    Jet Chevrolet in Fiffe has axles. They are a trailer supply pace also. We bought a couple galvanized ones for the trailers that Rudnick is making for the mini-jet boats.

Upvote 0