I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 3, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Andrew
Boat
18' Invader CC
Hey there,

Figured some of you might have some experience with replacing your bunks and the support brackets that hold them up. Mine are extremely rusty and large flakes are starting to come off so I know its something I should take care of sooner rather than later. (Also the axle is looking pretty rough as well)

My questions: Is replacing bunk supports difficult? Are they any tips you can suggest for this project? I assume getting the supports in the exact same position is important but figured yall might have some insight.

thanks!

Attachments

Capt.C.Delany

The only fishing I do is trolling the Internet
Jun 22, 2014
No Grave But the Sea
Name
Hugh Jassole / The Porcelain Punisher
Boat
Paddy Wagon 24' Skippy
I know it's not ideal since it sounds like you want to do it yourself, but I see you are in HB, you should talk to Wayne over at West Coast Trailer. He is a wealth of knowledge.

Reefer

May 21, 2006
San Diego
Name
Bob
Boat
Pez Vela
Be prepared to cut off the old parts: either with a torch or a sawzall. Be prepared to find the lag screws/bolts shot. Be prepared to find the old holes in the sodden wood bunks unusable, so that the bunks will have to be shifted forward or backward a couple of inches, if not replaced. It will turn into a major PITA.

That's after you figure out how to get the boat off so you can work on it.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
It's gonna be a lot of work, maybe get an estimate or two, if you never did this stuff before , also there are a few online trailer supply place with good pricing...

Dragon

It is what it is...
May 24, 2006
SLO Co.
Name
Paul
Boat
22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
Im doing the same thing on my project 20 Skipjack trailer. The trailer it came on is dust, cant believe I got it home without incident. So I found another Decent old rusty trailer that Im fixing so I can at least move it around or take it for work to be done. And get an extra rusty trailer out of my yard. I also have the CC in the avatar in the yard too.

These are sand blasted Pacific galv. brackets, they looked horrendous coverd w/rust. Decided to use them after all. you can see how long (tall) the bunk brackets were for the other boat. It allowed me to cut the the angle off the end drill a hole for bunk bolt and use the slotted hole for some adjustment against the hull /angle. Viola!! Adjustable...

I got this idea after looking into adjustable bolt on bunk brackets. They are pressed metal (not as beefy). And with all the bolts and parts not particularly cheap. But that will be the easiest way to go probably.

Pacific Trailers
E-Trailers

Definitely not the fun part... Good Luck

Attachments

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
If it is a Pacific trailer you can call them with the serial
number on the trailer and they can use that information
to build new ones. The angle and lengths can get tricky.
That is how I got replacements for my trailer.
I did the same. Pacific was great. Covered the bunks with plastic bunk material. Pretty easy installation. 2 or 3 hours

OffroadBandito

Aug 3, 2011
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Andrew
Boat
18' Invader CC
I know it's not ideal since it sounds like you want to do it yourself, but I see you are in HB, you should talk to Wayne over at West Coast Trailer. He is a wealth of knowledge.
Wayne is great! I'm super close to West Coast Trailers, and they have always steered me in the right direction. I will most likely spend some time picking his brain about this as well.

E1 Toro

El Toro
Jun 8, 2018
SoCal
Name
El Toro
Boat
Striper 2100 WA, 150HO E-Tec G2
What kind of wood do you replace the existing bunks with? I haven't pulled back the carpet yet but Im guessing its oak? Mine are good but the bolts are getting rusty and the brackets need a brushing and paint.

SD2600

Opinions aren’t constitutional- they are earned
Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Pressure treated.... get it at any Home Depot or Lowe’s.

Reactions: E1 Toro

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
I did this repair to my trailer years ago while it’s time consuming, if you have a die grinder with a few discs, pressure treated lumber from hd/lowe’s, bunk carpet from here/lowe’s, incomes staples and the parts it can be done in a day at a comfortable pace.

it’s tricky part is getting the boat raised off the trailer. I used a jack, a few hockey pucks and jack stands.

good luck

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Home Depot sells a cold galvanized spray paint.

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Does it work?
Not for very long.I properly prepared the parts,sprayed 3 light coats,baked it with a heat gun and then painted it heavy with a spray can.After 3 or 4 trips the rust starts.What can you do other than use stainless which i will do next time.

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
Not for very long.I properly prepared the parts,sprayed 3 light coats,baked it with a heat gun and then painted it heavy with a spray can.After 3 or 4 trips the rust starts.What can you do other than use stainless which i will do next time.

Thanks! I won’t buy it. I’m thinking it’s fine for stuff around the house that might get rained on, but not trailers that get dipped in the salt

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Thanks! I won’t buy it. I’m thinking it’s fine for stuff around the house that might get rained on, but not trailers that get dipped in the salt
It is definitely better than just paint.

Reactions: Arima-bob

SD2600

Apr 13, 2017
San diego
Name
Dustin
Boat
26' sea swirl
Like plj said. But better than nothing

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
If you guys are working on a small area I would use ZRC paint. The ZRC comes in two gray colors but it's the same stuff.
Amazon product
Don't mess with the lite weight spray crap paint, it won't last, not enough zinc.

For larger areas I would use this stuff. It's like sealing the metal with liquid metal, it really works well. The only problem is once you open the can the liquid will solidify within a few days no matter how you seal the can. It's amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: rancanfish

rancanfish

wow, how deep is it here?
Jul 5, 2004
Dublin, CA
Name
Harold Head
Boat
1971 BW Menemsha
Just about finished with a trailer repaint. Wish I would have seen that Mastercoat before I started.