aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Just got back from Japan and with a friends helps i was able to pick up a bunch of nice goodies out there. I was planning to buy one of those shimano beastmaster 9000 but what am i suppose to use a deep drop reel for when i dont really need one in the west coast.

5000p X3
4000p X1
3000pg Limited Edition X1
2000nrpg and nrhg ( 1 of each)

10 12.jpg 2017-09-18 (1).jpg 2017-09-18.jpg 2017-09-26 (1).png 2017-09-26.png 2017092900001.jpg

Tifoso

Chinook,lings,bottom fish. And everything else.
Jul 25, 2016
norCal (central valley)
Name
Lou
Boat
yes
Beautiful reels. Lucky you. :)

SSUfish

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
I was 50/50 on clicking this link purely based on the title.....nice reels!

Reactions: twotrack

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
Just remember that the Ocea Limited 3000P has a reverse drag. The model I fished with some of our engineers from Japan had that feature. I'm pretty sure the PG version has it as well.

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Just remember that the Ocea Limited 3000P has a reverse drag. The model I fished with some of our engineers from Japan had that feature. I'm pretty sure the PG version has it as well.

Dan the 3000 pg is the 5.1 version with reverse drags which you should know it is a pretty bad ass reel. You know they are using this reel as to test the market for the future reels

The limited 3000p is cost close to $700 to buy

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
Its just a Trinidad with a spool lock and a different handle. It has an auto return clutch which makes it a challenge to cast. The weight of the larger handle knob/T bar will trip the clutch on the cast 70-80% of the time. I personally do not like the vertical T-type handle. For a pure vertical jigging type application it makes sense. I just did not find it comfortable for how I like to fish.

This reel was made for vertical jigging and slow pitch jigging in deep water. It's also why the drag is reversed. Something to do with the slow jigging and the way they fish over there. I do not understand the need, but I have spent almost 30 years fishing with drag stars turning the normal way.

I used it to catch all sorts of different bottom species in Venice, LA including some jumbo Amberjack. There were times I wished it was faster when trying to get big fish away from the rig extension arms. Thankfully I used 130# leaders to keep from getting broke off. I did not see much difference in cranking power with the slower gear ratio. I also know how to put the wood to big fish, so I guess it is something I really don't need for my fishing style.

Reactions: Haly0

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Its just a Trinidad with a spool lock and a different handle. It has an auto return clutch which makes it a challenge to cast. The weight of the larger handle knob/T bar will trip the clutch on the cast 70-80% of the time. I personally do not like the vertical T-type handle. For a pure vertical jigging type application it makes sense. I just did not find it comfortable for how I like to fish.

This reel was made for vertical jigging and slow pitch jigging in deep water. It's also why the drag is reversed. Something to do with the slow jigging and the way they fish over there. I do not understand the need, but I have spent almost 30 years fishing with drag stars turning the normal way.

I used it to catch all sorts of different bottom species in Venice, LA including some jumbo Amberjack. There were times I wished it was faster when trying to get big fish away from the rig extension arms. Thankfully I used 130# leaders to keep from getting broke off. I did not see much difference in cranking power with the slower gear ratio. I also know how to put the wood to big fish, so I guess it is something I really don't need for my fishing style.

That part is true. It does trip it up on casting. The limited is made for just jigging but now with the hype here in the US with jigging i know for sure this reel will be something people might like to use in the future. I was really debating on either the HG or PG while i was in Japan. Like you said the HG version is what is prefer in Japan. While i was at a bunch of tackle store i was able to find 1 place who carried the PG version. Kind of made me think there is a limited production of it.
Dan when i got time i will bring it over to you and you can toy with it a bit and all the other ones i got from Japan. Leaving for Alaska tonight. Hoping i got the time to use the 5000p up there for a halibut

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
I've fished them all. There is no need to bring them by. That gold colored Jigger was a limited production model. I tried to get one for myself. I was going to change the drive shaft and handle.

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
I've fished them all. There is no need to bring them by. That gold colored Jigger was a limited production model. I tried to get one for myself. I was going to change the drive shaft and handle.

My buddy in Japan is helping me find the 3000hg limited. Which one would you get Dan?

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
I think the 3000 is the same size as the TN20A. That is the size I would get. The 40 and 40N sizes have been discontinued for a while in Japan. I think those are 4000 and 5000 for the Jigger models.

Salty Bones

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 4, 2017
NJ
Name
Sergio
Boat
Xxxxxxxx
Was this in a store that we can order online from? I've been trying to get a 4000p for the longest!

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Was this in a store that we can order online from? I've been trying to get a 4000p for the longest!

The 4000p i got it off of my friend and he also threw in a gear which i can switch it up to a 4.9 gear which is hard to come by. I was only able to find 1 of them from my search in Japan. The 5000p was semi hard to find because no one wanted to give it up. some convincing and Sake does the trick. Also i brought a couple of US reels to trade.

I did come across 3 bantam 100 reels there first production reels from i think 1978 or 9.
Dan i should i got one of those for you. Matches your name LOL

Reactions: Salty Bones

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
I think the 3000 is the same size as the TN20A. That is the size I would get. The 40 and 40N sizes have been discontinued for a while in Japan. I think those are 4000 and 5000 for the Jigger models.
It is the same size as a 20A but with the reverse drags. I need to play with it just a little to figure out how to use it. My buddy said something about turning the handle forward tighten up the drag and backward to loosen it up. Unless Dan you can explain