Towing question...

Tizor

Mar 8, 2011
East Bay Area
Name
Chris
Boat
28' Skipjack, 22' Alumaweld Intruder
I've done a lot of towing in my life, and have always had heavy duty tow vehicles. Because of this, I've never thought much about exceeding the capacity of my tow vehicle. I'm now preparing to purchase another boat that will weigh on at about 9,000 lbs on its tri axle trailer (combined weight). Assuming its properly balanced, tongue weight should be around 900 lbs. I have no concern for my own towing, however, I'm buying this one with a friend who only has a light weight tow vehicle (Toyota Highlander with 3.5L, 275 hp V-6, and a +/- 5,000 lbs towing capacity).

So the math is pretty apparent, and before you start laughing, let me add this... the boat will be stored on its trailer at the marina, about 100 yards from the ramp. So my question is this... do you guys think his Toyota will be able to launch and haul the boat from 100 yards away, despite the fact that it exceeds his rated capacity by almost 1x?

My understanding is that most tow ratings are limited by braking capacity at speed, rather than loading or pulling capacity.

Thanks for any thoughts or experiences.

Upvote 0

bman440440

I am the one who knocks!!!
Sep 8, 2010
San Diego 92117
Name
B-MAN
Boat
Heisenberg(20' Maxum), Sip N' Slide (33' 2 deck w/slide) Ships & Giggles (32' double deck pontoon)
for 100 yards of towing that will be fine IMO... but only 100 yards!! another thing to think about is will he be able to get it out of the water on low tides and such when he has to pull up a steep slippery ramp? if he has 4wd then no problem.

Reactions: oceanski
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
I think you're going to hear and feels some pops and snaps eventually but should work.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

ShadBurke

Just a Guy and his Boston Whaler
Oct 28, 2005
Carlsbad
Name
Shad Burke
Boat
22' Boston Whaler Guardian
yes, use 4 low pulling it out of water obviously.

i had a 4 runner to pull a 9k 28' Magic deckboat around havasu for years. 4 low on the ramp was key....

Upvote 0

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
First put 900 lbs. of weight in the back of the Highlander to make sure your tires don't strip the wheel well liners. Also, Highlanders are unibody vehicles without a truck-like frame and the hitch may not be able to hold 9000 lbs. being pulled uphill. Kinda like those cleats giving it up in the first Jaws movie.

Reactions: stanky1
Upvote 0

skipjack

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Oct 20, 2004
    santa maria
    Name
    skip
    Boat
    2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
    Don't do it.
    Your front wheel drive Highlander is probably a 2wd unit. The hitch weight will make the rear end bottom out lifting the front end up.
    You will have no traction going down or up the ramp.
    I watched my buddies 28' Skipjack drag his 1 ton ford down the ramp with the tires skidding all the way.

Upvote 0