Towing new boat home, unlicensed trailer?

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
18' Crestliner Superhawk, 14' Tracker "Fish Git' RRR"
I'm looking to pickup a used boat in CA and the trailer does not have any plates. Will I be OK towing this home to Las Vegas, NV or will the CHP have a fit about the trailer without plates?

In NV I could get away with towing an unlicensed trailer. I asked a HP officer and he said it was OK if I had the bill of sale and was going directly home. I don't know if they would be so kind in California?

I'm trying to avoid a visit to DMV to get a temp towing permit as it will probably take as long to wait in line for the permit as it would to tow it home...

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
To be completely legal you would have to get a one-way trip permit, good until you get to the Nevada line. They used to be around $10, much cheaper than a ticket for no registration.

ChupacabraMB

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jan 30, 2005
Murrieta
Name
Rick
Boat
2301 Seaswirl W/O Yamaha 115 X2
I haven't had a plate on my trailer in over ten years. Never been bothered by the cops.

marlyn

Dec 18, 2005
oak hills
Name
mark
Boat
21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
triple a with a badge is always looking for something to scratch a cite for!just tow it home and if you get pulled over explain that its new.enjoy the boat!

talltale

Feb 20, 2008
yucaipa
Name
chris
Boat
23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
Just tell 'em tha plate musta fell off.

talltale

Feb 20, 2008
yucaipa
Name
chris
Boat
23.5 trophy "Tonetta T"
Seriouosly though, if it's currently registered should be no problem with bill of sale and pink. Without registration, hope for the best.

charcol8

Shake-n-Bake
Jun 20, 2007
San Pedro, CA
Name
Colby
Boat
workin on that
Go at night blacked out and haul ass!! You will be fine as long as you have the bill of sale.

78sharpshooter

Aug 16, 2007
SD
Name
AC
Boat
1988 Sea Ox 230 W/A bluewater
I just towed an unlicensed trailer from SF to SD and had no problems. I felt that if I were to get stopped I would just explain that I just purchased the rig and am taking it home.

Az.monkey

Oct 27, 2003
PQ
Visit site
Name
Karl
Boat
Which one ?
Drive like an idiot and you get a nice ticket, drive normal and you'll be fine without plates

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
If your Illegal..... then it's the luck of the draw...... If you play the game , you could lose.....

dbar

Mmmmmm Backstraps
Jun 26, 2004
In the Sticks
Name
Jim Perkins
Boat
Lowe 1448M Fishing & Duck Boat "The MeatHog"
I haven't had a plate on my trailer in over ten years. Never been bothered by the cops.
What he said, on my old boat trailer the plate was behind the seat of the truck for 4years never once got bothered.

ECMFab

A Salt Weapon
Mar 24, 2008
Oceanside/CA/USA
Name
Ethan
Boat
Sold her :(
Id say run with it.. I would. But then again my judgement isnt that great.

dbar

Mmmmmm Backstraps
Jun 26, 2004
In the Sticks
Name
Jim Perkins
Boat
Lowe 1448M Fishing & Duck Boat "The MeatHog"

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
Before the PTI thing took effect, if the trailer had no activity at the DMV for three years (inquiries, tickets etc...) it would drop off the system and come up "no record found" unless it was stolen. It used to be that if a vehicle's registration was expired for more than six months it could be impounded but, that is up to the officer's discretion.

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
Thanks for the replies. I'll run the gauntlet and see what happens.

I thought of yanking one of my other trailer license plates and putting it on this trailer so the officers would see a plate on the trailer... But, if stopped, I would probably be in more trouble for this than not having a plate at all. Scratch that idea.

Dirtguy

"It's all Good!"
May 9, 2006
Gilbert, AZ
Name
Carl
Boat
26' Sea Ray, "yes dear..."
In AZ you can go online and get a temp plate for $3.00 and it's good for 5 days. You even print yourself at home. 10 minutes max. There's gotta be something like that for Nevada.

DG

Duramax

Captain
Dec 29, 2006
Torrance, Ca.
Name
Rene`
Boat
Cabo 216, "Goju Shiho Sho"
If you just bought it and taking it home you will be ok, if you put a plate from another trailer on it you will be in big trouble if caught. Think its a Federal offence.
Used to tow my race car trailer without plates for years, never had a problem plus if it's attached to a registered vehicle its ok also. If and when the trailer sit's on the road or street without plates and without being hooked to a car or truck it will get towed and impounded.
Just hook it and go home, you will be fine.....................

Fishrdan

3# carp VS 40# striper
Nov 10, 2005
Vegas Baby!
Name
Dan
Boat
I just hooked it up and towed it back. No problems with the 15-20 police I passed.