Clockwork

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
Anyone tow a 26 sedan or 28 sportfish? Ive thought about these boats for awhile but they dont seem practical to tow but im not so sure. I gotta be able to drag this thing 150 miles or so on a whim. Towing rig as a 05 cummins clubcab shortbed..

BigBurp

BigBurp
May 10, 2012
Covington, WA
Name
Kevin
Boat
Robalo 235WA
Anyone tow a 26 sedan or 28 sportfish? Ive thought about these boats for awhile but they dont seem practical to tow but im not so sure. I gotta be able to drag this thing 150 miles or so on a whim. Towing rig as a 05 cummins clubcab shortbed..
Boat shopping?

Rellis

Boss
Jul 3, 2011
Ellensburg/WA/USA
Name
Ray Ellis
Boat
21' Trophy, "Cape Spencer"
You shouldn't have a problem with the Cummins. I tow a 26' Dutchman travel trailer with my '08, F350 power stroke with little trouble unless it's a 50 mph head wind.

Offshore Ryan

Aug 7, 2010
Lake Tapps, WA
Name
Ryan
Boat
28 Uniflite Salty Dog w/Yanmar Diesels
You can do it. On a whim too. The larger boat is nice once you're on the water which offsets the other inconvenient aspects.

Reactions: goatram

Clockwork

Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
Boat shopping?
Im always boat shopping. Have had my eye on these for a while and The wimenz might be willing to chip in on a boat like this. Seems like it woud be a pretty good offshore boat even though i never see any of them out there. Theyre supposed to be very well made.

Charles_Sterlin

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 30, 2010
Redmond
sterlings.life
Name
Charles
Boat
23' Pursuit and 28' Slickcraft resto mod
There is a 28 Sportfisher Hull in Gig Harbor....I think the owner wanted $4500...Let me know if you want his contact details

tambs

Yo BD! Color Screens-Invented Mid '50s. Jus sayin.
Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
"Bottom Line" - 25' Carolina Classic SF
I owned a 1976 28' Tollycraft Sportfisher from the mid to late 90's. Towed it back and forth to Ilwaco from the Tri-Cities on many occasions. Used a 1989 Ford F250 diesel (back before they put turbo's on them). It was painfully slow. Your diesel will pull it fine power wise, but you'll definitely know something is back there.

I had to use an equalizer hitch to get some weight back on the front axle, as the boat was pretty tongue heavy on the trailer, because a lot of the weight in these boats is forward. With the flybridge, midship mounted engines, and heavy hull forward, it was bow heavy by a fair margin. Sitting in the water they usually sit bow down unless there's ballast in the stern. My forward bilge pump got more of a workout than the aft pump did.

Loved that boat for fishability. Monster cockpit, and the dual helm was nice. Not a real smooth riding hull, but very stable. If I remember correctly, it was 10'-7 wide. Can't remember the deadrise at the transom, but it wasn't a deep vee. Modified vee around 15 degrees I think.

The next boat I get that is as heavy as that one will be pulled with a 1-ton dually diesel with air-ride suspension. My usual trips to the coast involve a lot of gear, and no matter how I stow gear, I always end up filling up the back end of the pickup in addition to hauling the boat.

I was planning on dropping a couple of diesels in it eventually, but my kids came along and scrapped those plans. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't go that route as I wasn't fond of the rough head sea ride in a stiff wind chop. Put it up for sale and a guy from Whittier, Alaska bought it. I pulled it to Seattle and put it on a barge for him, and he turned it into a 6-pack. Have no idea if he's still in operation.

Good luck with your search. These boats are getting rarer all the time, and most of what's out there has been neglected badly. Mine was in pretty good shape, but it had some tabbing broken below decks forward and some sporadic blistering that I ground out and repaired. Several stringer to hull tabs were broken, and had to be ground out and glassed back in. The decks were in great shape, but that was 20 years ago, with a boat that was 20 years old THEN. I'd make considerable effort to check for soft decks and a wet transom, and pull lots of screws throughout the boat to check the condition of the substrate. If you find one in good shape, it will be a rare find indeed.

Clockwork

Feb 16, 2011
covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
GW Marlin
Thanks for the info tom. The 28 is what i really want. Suprised it didnt handle chop well. Figured with a tank like that it would be a wave crusher.

CommanderX

Dec 27, 2008
Washington
Name
Doug
Boat
Glasply project
A 28 Glasply may be a better boat. 10' wide and 10,000 lbs though. Coast Guard boat of choice in the 70s. Check out Glasply.org, there's a few guys who trailer their 28's.

Reactions: silver slayer

silver slayer

I've posted enough I should'nt have to edit this
May 12, 2009
kitsap county
Name
Josh
Boat
25' starcraft expedition
The 28 Glasplys are a nice boat. Almost bought one about 15 years ago and still wish I would have.

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
The 28 Glasplys are a nice boat. Almost bought one about 15 years ago and still wish I would have.
If I could find a short cabin 28, I'd snatch one up in a second. They are few and far between though.

tambs

Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
Thanks for the info tom. The 28 is what i really want. Suprised it didnt handle chop well. Figured with a tank like that it would be a wave crusher.

I entertained getting a 26 sedan as well prior to buying the 28, but in the end the dance floor on the 28 won out. It is big enough to hold a barn dance on. I never gave serious consideration to the 26 as it seemed to me to be more of a cruiser, and not set up for fishing at all.

The boat handled stuff less than 3' all right, but anything over that on a short interval made for a slow ride. Used to launch out of Ilwaco and head upriver to the Megler-Astoria bridge for sturgeon back in the day. When the afternoon prevailings kicked up, the short interval river chop didn't allow me to go much more than 12 or 15 knots as I headed back uphill towards the barn at the end of the day.

Mine had twin Ford 351W engines with Borg-Warner Velvet Drive transmissions. Those tranny's are absolutely bullet proof. Case in point..... The first trip I took in it after bringing it home I was running down the river here in the Tri-Cities. Being my first twin engine boat, and first straight inboard, I was getting used to the 4 lever vs. 1 lever controls of the other boats I'd owned. Running downriver at about 80-90% throttle, I decided to come off plane, and grabbed the wrong sticks and pulled them back, bringing the boat out of gear with the throttles still open. When the boat began settling, with the engines racing since they were suddenly relieved of their load, I panicked as I realized my mistake, and instead of simply bringing the throttles back, I shoved the transmission levers forward since my hand was still on them. There was one massive bang as the transmissions re-engaged, and the boat leapt back out of the water. Once I recovered from my dual mistake, I throttled back, hit neutral, killed the engines and climbed down into the bilge expecting to see massive holes in the transmissions and oil gushing into the bilge. Found nada. No sign of anything amiss, I cranked it back up and resumed the voyage. I didn't have one single problem with either transmission during the 5 years I owned the boat.

I regret selling that boat now, as it really was in great shape. My speed-demon days are over, and I would be more than satisfied with the speed that thing had, even in wind chop. Fish storage was sparse, but with that cockpit, you could have a number of coolers and they would not be in the way. I used to place mine on the aft side of the cabin bulkhead on either side of the companionway into the cabin where they pulled double duty as seats. Passengers sitting there were completely protected from spray, and only got wet if rainwater came off the flybridge deck and down the back of their necks.

Maneuverability in that thing was unbeatable. With the twin stir sticks and widely spaced shafts, you could make that thing do a pirouette in the stiffest wind. In my younger days, I used to marvel at the way charter skippers handled their big Delta's in and around the marina. After learning the Tolly, I realized it wasn't such a big deal, and it was simply a matter of the appropriate application of the correct gearbox, with short bursts of throttle to make the boat dance the two-step. Hardly ever touched the wheel when maneuvering that boat at marina speeds.

tambs

Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
If I could find a short cabin 28, I'd snatch one up in a second. They are few and far between though.

I saw one in Ilwaco this summer. We both tied up at the fuel dock one day, and as I looked at it from the stern I thought it was the 28 Tolly. They are remarkably similar. I took a closer look, and discovered it was the Glasply after seeing the distinctive bridge and bow from the side. Spoke with the owner, and found that he'd just slogged in on one engine from the tuna grounds. Had some kind of electrical problem. His was outfitted with 318's if I recall correctly.

28 Glasply.....

28 Tolly......

Team Sency

Fish!! Or be Fished!!!
Jan 6, 2012
Black Diamond
Name
Chris
Boat
JuiceBox2
You are always super helpful Tom. Hope had a great holiday.

At $25k, that seems like alot of boat. Get that one Ryan!

Elkfins

Ungrateful Prick
Aug 8, 2008
Tacoma, WA
Name
Steve
Boat
"Cleanup Required" '99 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
Oh, and here you go Steve. It's even got diesels.......

http://www.alaskaboat.com/boat.php?bid=ch083
The pic you took of the one in Ilwaco and this one both are mid cabin 28's... not short cabin 28's. Very few short cabins were made and the few that were, mostly went over to Hawaii.
Here is an example of a short cabin 28 that WDFW used to own and had parked at the end of float 6 in Westport for a number of years.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/docviewer/aucdoc/P1020076.JPG?auc=847727&docid=6471886

tambs

Oct 1, 2009
Tri-Cities, WA
Name
Tom
Boat
The pic you took of the one in Ilwaco and this one both are mid cabin 28's... not short cabin 28's. Very few short cabins were made and the few that were, mostly went over to Hawaii.
Here is an example of a short cabin 28 that WDFW used to own and had parked at the end of float 6 in Westport for a number of years.
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/docviewer/aucdoc/P1020076.JPG?auc=847727&docid=6471886

I see the difference. Thanks for setting me straight. That one looks even more like the 28 Tolly, with a bit shorter cabin.

I didn't take that pic. It was a google pic. Though the one I saw in Ilwaco was the mid-cabin as well.

Deviant

Apr 8, 2010
WA
Name
Tim
Boat
Bounty 293 "KRAKEN"
No such thing as too much cabin or a separate shitter with an actual toilet if the wife is in on the purchase....heat is also a plus too.
Just some friendly advice from a guy that has bought too many boats that seemed right for my fishing dreams, but the wife's enthusiasm faded after there was minimal creature comforts.

At least that is my story.....

Chtucker

Lowe boat denter
Feb 15, 2012
Sunshine State, AKA NOT.. Kirkland, WA
Name
Howard
Boat
Double Trouble 28' Armstrong
No such thing as too much cabin or a separate shitter with an actual toilet if the wife is in on the purchase....heat is also a plus too.
Just some friendly advice from a guy that has bought too many boats that seemed right for my fishing dreams, but the wife's enthusiasm faded after there was minimal creature comforts.

At least that is my story.....
I received very clear instructions. " I am not sleeping where I shit"

Reactions: Clockwork