Tower Recommendations

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
SoCal
Name
tom
Boat
Skipjack 24
I'm starting to look into options for a tower on a 24 Skipjack Flybridge. I really like the idea of a soft top, maybe one I can crawl up through into the tower, like a cobia tower style maybe. If I can get away without a hardtop that would be great, I think. I'm wondering what is important, for tuna, and what's not. I don't think I need 2nd station controls, I'll have someone else driving or AP that I can control w remote. I've never even been in a tower so I have no idea aside from a safe place to park binos, couple rod holders, I want to cast from up there and maybe hand off the rod after hooking up.

Do you prefer to stand or sit? In a 24ft boat I feel like I'd rather stand, have a leaning post than a bench, I want to feel secure up there with my hands free to hold binos and not have to hold on, I don't know the best way to accomplish that. Hopefully some of you guys that spend a lot of time up there can help me out .

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    Always heard the flybridges can be a bit tippy, especially if you add a tower. Would try to talk to some people to confirm before dropping the ching.

Reactions: tbev
    Upvote 0

Reel 007

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 12, 2006
    Glendora Ca
    Name
    Leon
    Boat
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Always heard the flybridges can be a bit tippy, especially if you add a tower. Would try to talk to some people to confirm before dropping the ching.
    Solid advice here.
    A 24' flybridge boat with a 8' beam seems like the last place you would want to put a tower.

Reactions: kevina and tbev
    Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    Skipjack 24
    I'm sure it's not as stable as something beamier but it's what I've got, we've all seen towers on smaller rigs.
    Who spends a lot of time in their tower?

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
    Dec 12, 2007
    Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Yes
    Who spends a lot of time in their tower?
    We do. We tend to lean against the bench seat. When sitting, it is important to have something to brace your legs against. Either way, I can't imagine not having a solid floor to stand on. If your thought is to stand on support bars, someone is going to slip and get injured.

I know you aren't concerned about stability, but I think you should be, even when people are not in it.

As for your idea of fishing from the tower, well it has never occurred to me. If the boat is underway, we are in the tower looking for fish. If we find fish, we are in the cockpit (or on the bow) trying to catch them. The idea of climbing down the tower with a fish on -- or even handing the rod off with a fish on, seems unnecessarily cumbersome.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Grayson

Oct 31, 2004
    Jamul
    Name
    Jim
    Boat
    26 Shamrock
    I’m up in the tower most of the day but only at trolling speed…anything faster is a pain looking through binos.
    26’ Shamrock eight foot beam

AE604D4E-3B72-4680-AC19-5765E58B110E.jpeg

Upvote 0

Dragon

It is what it is...
    May 24, 2006
    SLO Co.
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    22' Pro Sport CC / 20' Skipjack Open
    There is an old thread with a 24 FB tower that was made by I think it was Tom @ tower Fab. It was gorgeous! Best one I have seen...He re-did the ladder too really Clean...Could be in the Skipjack Boats thread?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

kindafishy

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jul 21, 2010
    hemet/ca/riverside
    Name
    SCOTT
    Boat
    bayliner cierra express 2452 "RYLEE'S WAVE RYDER"
    i think your asking for trouble on a flybridge. also keep in mind, if your towing it....13'6" is max going down the road. i built mine on my boat to fold backward for towing. heres one, it was on BD, maybe the owner can chime in.
    1624155636592.png

Upvote 0

tbev

Dec 21, 2017
    SoCal
    Name
    tom
    Boat
    Skipjack 24
    That is pretty much what I want, a couple things I would expect to change. I may not go with a hard top; in that case I was considering making up a deck piece to go over a couple rails so it would be a solid floor underneath my feet but not all the way fwd\aft like a hard top would be, just a few feet fwd\aft and 4ft wide or so.
    I like that whole setup but I would bring my front supports down further instead of down to the top of the bridge and add a seat to lean on. Like Nomad said, something to brace my legs with; that's one thing I'm trying to figure out.

I dig this guy's rig, I sent the old owner, the guy who posted these pics, a message, maybe he'll get back with some feedback on how it felt riding up there.

I've seen a lot of towers on much smaller boats than my 24, I agree about speed and binos, I'm not looking to haul ass when I'm up there.

Upvote 0