I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    272 Gardy.jpg

Even though I have plenty of friends to fish with I bought another boat that's towable because I didn't want something that big to where I had to slip it.

I really enjoy going to San Quintin which I haven't done in a number of years. And there are certain thing I can do with a smaller boat that are just no possible or extremely hard to do with something that's 35'+.

I purchased a 1998 272 Sailfish as shown in the pic. While its very cool that there is a folding tower with a full 2nd station, it is very heavy and takes at least 3 of us to put it up and down.

now during the season I will probably slip the boat. Definitely if I leave the tower on it.

So I am looking for opinions. Thinking of selling the tower, motors, controls. there is a seat which is currently off, keeping the seat and installing a belly ring.

use that money to put toward newer 4 stroke outboards.

Since I never plan to keep it in a slip "full time" I can see it being a PIA when towing. But on the other hand I may only have to fold it once or twice a season.

What does a tower like this cost/worth?

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
    Jun 6, 2012
    Tempe San Diego
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    35 Cabo Express
    Keep it! If it folds it is worth the time to do it when needed. I would never want to lose the tower. Just make sure that it is low enough folded to get around and through the checkpoint in MX and leave it on there. Congrats on the new purchase.

Reactions: badpetedave
    Upvote 0

TAPOUT

Sep 17, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Cabo 48 FB "Outlaw", Yellowfin 26 Hybrid "Boomer"
    Jason - Having a tower is key IMO. I can't even count how many times we spot things with the Gyros we would likely not have seen from the pilot house. Our tower is heavy as hell but there are techniques that enable two guys to raise and lower it. Also, it's value will be predicated on the builder and how applicable it is to other boats and its condition. Sell the motors, OX66 Yamahas? and slap on a couple Yamaha 200 I4s. Sweet boat. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Keep it! If it folds it is worth the time to do it when needed. I would never want to lose the tower. Just make sure that it is low enough folded to get around and through the checkpoint in MX and leave it on there. Congrats on the new purchase.

What is the real advantage of having the 2nd steering station? that would be the only thing I lose if I get rid of the tower? I am still going to keep the seat and would make a belly ring.

Upvote 0

DALE S

TOTW
    Apr 23, 2007
    SD
    Name
    Dale
    Boat
    Bayrunner Baja 21
    Over kill on the raised sun shade chop it off. Much easier to trailer and lighter to handle. Keep the controls and seat. And of course, it's just my opinion.

Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Over kill on the raised sun shade chop it off. Much easier to trailer and lighter to handle. Keep the controls and seat. And of course, it's just my opinion.

Not a bad idea. what would be the real advantage of the second steering station.

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
    Oct 18, 2012
    San Diego
    Name
    Tanner
    Boat
    1997 Proline 23 W/A
    Not a bad idea. what would be the real advantage of the second steering station.
    Being able to see a patty/fish farther away or in worse weather and have the ability to drive to it without taking your eyes off of it. If you ever fish solo, you'd have to have that second station if you wanted to use the tower. I'm with the others, cut that shade off and keep the rest. Hats work just fine.

Reactions: Spoons
    Upvote 0

hardrider5

Master
    Sep 4, 2003
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Parker 2520

X2
    I've spent allot of time in a tower and wished I had controls up there to drive in the direction of what I see instead of trying to relay the information below. I would definitely kill that upper portion including the sun shade. Who needs it.

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    View attachment 642080

Even though I have plenty of friends to fish with I bought another boat that's towable because I didn't want something that big to where I had to slip it.

I really enjoy going to San Quintin which I haven't done in a number of years. And there are certain thing I can do with a smaller boat that are just no possible or extremely hard to do with something that's 35'+.

I purchased a 1998 272 Sailfish as shown in the pic. While its very cool that there is a folding tower with a full 2nd station, it is very heavy and takes at least 3 of us to put it up and down.

now during the season I will probably slip the boat. Definitely if I leave the tower on it.

So I am looking for opinions. Thinking of selling the tower, motors, controls. there is a seat which is currently off, keeping the seat and installing a belly ring.

use that money to put toward newer 4 stroke outboards.

Since I never plan to keep it in a slip "full time" I can see it being a PIA when towing. But on the other hand I may only have to fold it once or twice a season.

What does a tower like this cost/worth?

Yo J;

Have you been on it yet? looks like a young mans climb. That tower looks like a slip item, not too towable.
    I had a belly ring, but sold it because I'm not having any climb up on the tee-top. One less thing to worry about. It sure would be nice to have eyes that high but fuck it.
    If I had your ride, I would want the driving station, but get rid of the extended tee-top as I cannot imagine it provides much shade.

Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Looks like I'm going to get out numbered here, but after spending lots of time in the sun glassing, I am all about that sun shade top. Hell man, the thing is already on there, it's a bonus as I see it, and I really think once you get a few things dialed in, you will figure out how to put that top up and down real easy like.

Just like most things......It's just something new you have to get use to and develop a good system with, and then it will be cake!

I'm betting it provides a decent amount of shade, as I know my t-top for me is invaluable, as it gives me lots of shade among other benefits.

I've got a feeling it's coming off though.

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

ALUMINATOR

Sep 16, 2003
    North San Diego County
    caspsolutions.com
    Name
    Dennis
    Boat
    27' self built
    Jason,

Fish it for a season and see how you like the boat, then start chopping it up. The same for repowering.

I don't see you climbing up there but since it is there I would leave it for now.

If and when you do repower I would do the belly ring, small seat and remove the rest. No need to steer this size boat from up top, an extra auto pilot controller may help.

Upvote 0

NGSD1

Dreamer
    Jun 6, 2012
    Tempe San Diego
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    35 Cabo Express
    Well there you go, you asked for opinions and here they are!. I guess by now you can see that the best solution is the one that works for you and you wont know until you give it a try. Good luck.

Reactions: Papa "J"
    Upvote 0

?? fisherman

super Captain
    Feb 27, 2003
    Soul Cal
    www.sandiegofishing.com
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Kencraft CC
    Guess it all depends upon your fishing style and what you fish for.

For billfish, that second station is a huge plus, as If you're running up on a flagging swordie, or tailing marlin and have a guy up on the bow ready to toss, then that platform is a major bonus for the captain to have a good vantage point of what is going down and looking for that underwater color spot when the fish sinks out a tad below the surface. But then again, I get all giddy over billfish.

I'd have to agree with Dennis, as I don't see you (Jason) going up and down that that tower too often after having your knee surgery. I know I would be up & down that thing a bunch, but that's me......... I love second stations. It's a bonus that not many guys have on their boats.

Bottom line though, is you gotta do what works best for you, so who cares what we all think. LOL

The unknown fisherman:p:

Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Thanks for all the great ideas and feed back. Some more info that may help is that I may 4 pack this boat for the upcoming season.

Thus the reason for upgrading the motors. Though the OX66's are probably fine I am the type of person where if I can switch something out and never have to worry about anything but maintence then I usually do it. Spending a few $$$ makes me sleep better at night especially if I have clients on board. Same reason I plan on adding new VHF and antennas. the cost is small to have piece of mind.

My thoughts were if I could sell the tower, motors, control that would put a dent in the price of new or newer 4 strokes. Still keeping a seat and a belly ring for spotting. the seat is going to be the exact same seat that is there now so there is no height advantage. I never fish marlin or swordies. So the whole spotting thing for that is not even a consideration. Looking for paddies and life from up there as far as I'm concerned.

And mike if your fishing with us I will have the biggest Sombrero I can find for you if I take the shade down...LoL

Probably what it comes down to it is how much I can sell all this stuff for.

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
    Nov 9, 2004
    Name
    G
    Boat
    That tower wont be worth much, imho. You will have to find a buyer with the same sized hardtop to even think about using it. And it seems to be poorly designed and pretty ugly too.

Love the boat though. How many hours on those Yamaha's? They look clean.

Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    Not sure on the hours but compression was 120-127 on every cylinder cold..

Upvote 0

Randy V

Slamma Jamma
    Mar 19, 2008
    Insane Diego, CA
    Name
    Randy
    Boat
    30' Kona Star
    That top roof looks to be too small and too high to provide any real shade protection to anyone driving from the tower.

But, I would definitely recommend keeping that tower control station.

Upvote 0