Mike_I

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
I want more stopping power from my truck brakes when I'm towing my boat. I already have brakes on both trailer axles and they're fine. I don't know what kind of pads I have on my truck, most likely basic ceramic, but thinking on replacing them with semi metallic pads. What type of pads do you guys have on your truck and if you upgraded to metallic did you notice a difference? Do metallic pads rust when dunked in saltwater?

goatram

Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest
Apr 3, 2008
Stanwood, WA
Name
grrrrrrrr
Boat
33' RBW MISS ELIZA
Napa premium Brake Pads. Just remember something has to wear, your pads, or your Disks.

Question is what kind of Truck?
Make
Model
Kind of brakes on the Trailer?
Shoes or Disks
The Electric of hyd. is a good Idea.
Are the Trailer brakes bled properly? How long ago did YOU DO IT?
HOW HEAVY IS YOUR BOAT?

As soon as you leave the ramp the pads and mating surface will remove the Rust. The bigger issue you need to address is putting your wheels into the salt. The vented disks (inner fins) and your rims along with your undercarriage WILL rust.

You need to provide more information.

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
My truck is a chevy silverado ext cab, not sure of the weight of my cabo 216. I have disc brakes on both trailer axles. All brakes are good and bled, I check everything truck & trailer once a year, all pads are currently ceramic. I'm willing to give up some rotor life for more braking power. I'll do some research on electric, thanks.

Napa premium Brake Pads. Just remember something has to wear, your pads, or your Disks.

Question is what kind of Truck?
Make
Model
Kind of brakes on the Trailer?
Shoes or Disks
The Electric of hyd. is a good Idea.
Are the Trailer brakes bled properly? How long ago did YOU DO IT?
HOW HEAVY IS YOUR BOAT?

As soon as you leave the ramp the pads and mating surface will remove the Rust. The bigger issue you need to address is putting your wheels into the salt. The vented disks (inner fins) and your rims along with your undercarriage WILL rust.

You need to provide more information.

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
Apr 27, 2006
M Class Planet / Riverside
Name
Wayne
Boat
Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
Theoretically you should already have enough stopping power. What year is the truck? Is there a lift with oversized tires etc...? The generation built before 1999 used to have questionable stopping ability at times and you could buy a kit to replace the rear drums with disc.

Reactions: marlyn

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
x2 on the Napa premium brake pads! Put them on two trucks already and they Rock!

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
Irvine
Name
Mike_I
Boat
Cabo 216 First Love
I may be over doing it but when that asshole cuts in front of me to be first at the red light I'd like more stopping power. My truck is a 2002 chevy silverado, it does have big tires and all disc brakes.
Theoretically you should already have enough stopping power. What year is the truck? Is there a lift with oversized tires etc...? The generation built before 1999 used to have questionable stopping ability at times and you could buy a kit to replace the rear drums with disc.

• Haha
Reactions: cortezpirasea

cortezpirasea

Pangero
Feb 23, 2012
la mesa, ca
Name
Russell
Boat
21 ft panga Sea Moan/17 ft gregor Pirasea II
I believe they
what type of pads? ceramic or semi metallic?
I believe they were ceramic. They are the ultra premium.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I bought rotors and pads that were a lot better for towing. The pads work better at a higher temp. That reduces the fade on long down hill tows. Conversely, they are not as good at lower temps but work just fine for daily driving.

I forgot the type. I'm due for a new set so I'll look around.

But I dont have trailer brakes. If I had my choice I would do EOH trailer setup. That is the best your going to get.

yakdout

Professional
  • Jun 26, 2014
    San Diego
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    s and hoes
    A. Have to know how to tow and brake downhill. Not constant light pressure, but stabbing hard pressure then intermittent letting off to let the brakes have a chance to cool.

B. Trailer brakes and a truck sufficient to tow with.

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
    socal
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    23ft parker, reel bad
    You may think the trailer brakes are working....make sure....can you back up without the lockout on? when ours are new on one axle...it wont move at all without the lockout...They make upgraded rotors and pads...hawk pads usually...they do make a difference...but I would make SURE the trailer system is 100% before I moved on to the truck. If you don't you are just trading one problem for another....been there.

marlyn

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Dec 18, 2005
    So Cal
    Name
    mark
    Boat
    21' skiff and 12' portabote recycled from milk jugs
    Should not be a problem stopping that boat with that truck if everything is working properly.I have learned to just slow down and leave plenty of room and i tow with an F450 with plenty of stopping power,people are idiots on the road these days.

ltran0614

May 8, 2013
    Orange
    Name
    L Train
    Boat
    27' Farallon Whaleback & 27' Radon LRB
    I may be over doing it but when that asshole cuts in front of me to be first at the red light I'd like more stopping power. My truck is a 2002 chevy silverado, it does have big tires and all disc brakes.

Unless you have an OVERRATED truck towing a small trailer? Outside of a drastic mis-match between trailer & tow vehicle .. You'll never have enough. You're going to get cut off ... do your best to leave space and not get worked up over being cut off?

That's probably the best you can do bc it sounds like you've got a good towing rig set-up for your trailer.

nefarious235

Aug 1, 2008
    Proudly American
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    canoe & plastic flotsam
    Get a train style airhorn

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    Mike_I
    Boat
    Cabo 216 First Love
    Trailer brakes work 100%. Just can't have too much braking power.
    You may think the trailer brakes are working....make sure....can you back up without the lockout on? when ours are new on one axle...it wont move at all without the lockout...They make upgraded rotors and pads...hawk pads usually...they do make a difference...but I would make SURE the trailer system is 100% before I moved on to the truck. If you don't you are just trading one problem for another....been there.

Mike_I

May 19, 2006
    Irvine
    Name
    Mike_I
    Boat
    Cabo 216 First Love
    The truck does stop the boat, it's just when some asshole cuts in front of me I want more stopping power.
    Should not be a problem stopping that boat with that truck if everything is working properly.I have learned to just slow down and leave plenty of room and i tow with an F450 with plenty of stopping power,people are idiots on the road these days.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    when some asshole cuts in front of me I want more stopping power.

If you want the most stopping power, dual axle EOH is the best answer....as stated above.

Incremental improvement could be achieved with better pads and larger rotors for your truck if your wheels will allow. My Tundra can get a factory big brake option if it had 20" rims.

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
    NorCal
    Name
    jay
    Boat
    '04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
    My truck came with ceramic pads, they are quiet and don't make a lot of brake dust. The negatives are they don't transfer heat well and fade on steep down hill grades. I've been using Wagner or bendix semi metallic pads for 10 years and have been very happy, only downside is lots of brake dust on my wheels.