PENN
Jul 4, 2016
Huntington Beach CA
Name
BFTbennett
Boat
N/A
Tough trip on the Pacifica.
left the harbor for bait around 9:30pm. Captain Andrew gave us the rundown in the galley per usual. He had informed us that the weather was going to be up for the majority of the trip. Hit the bunks and spent the night sliding from one side of my bunk to the other. Some dude was so sick he passed out in the doorway to the galley and stayed their the entire trip.

Woke up to the sounds of the engines being shut off. Hit the deck at around 5:30am. The swell and the wind was definitely nasty. Grabbed my 60lb flatfall and sent her down to around 300ft. Line goes slack on the fall out it in gear and I’m on. The first run the fish took was massive - spent the next 35 minutes or so working him back to the boat. Settle in to the port side corner on the rail and then suddenly line goes slack. Hook pulled. That was the not only the only fish lost but it was also the only fish hooked.

After that the weather continued to get worse. The guy that had passed out said he lost feelin in some of his limbs. I was getting and puking sick as well as about 30% of the people on the boat. Cap made the executive decision to call the trip and make the 5 hour ride back home.

Rough day, especially knowing I farmed the only hooked all day. Luckily we were all given vouchers for a later trip. Be weary of those weather charts.

L
Lakeguy06
Was on a 2-1/2 day boat out of HM last year. Departure time was around 9:00pm. At 8:45pm these two young guys come staggering up to the boat with their gear and a 3/4 empty bottle of Jack. Well, you can guess the ending to that fish story.
Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    Dues paid. Seems a dude passed out in the galley door way for the entire trip would be a hazard.

"What if there's a fire?"
    -- John Bender
    :D

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    Great boat what a nice Captain yea those sea and wind can really f up a trip sorry to hear but at least you get to go back out so not a total loss ...

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
  • Aug 11, 2006
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Ron
    Boat
    several
    GOOD CALL
    calling it a trip. Been on many rough days like that.
    Usually gets worse in the PM with more wind/swell too. LOL
    Glad they passed out vouchers. Better days ahead.

Reactions: Tuna Dreamer
    Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    I tapped out Wednesday after looking at sea conditions for this weekend!
    I’m surprised they went out and stoked they gave vouchers for a next trip to you guys. You paid your dues so next trip will have to be awesome! 😎

Upvote 0

Highwayman

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    I remember going out many years ago on a similar trip. the skipper said it would "be a little bumpy out there". Motoring out for 2 to 3 hours with waves blowing over the top of the boat he turned it back, thankfully. I realized you must interpret the weather by watching and being aware what it really means and the source. Capt. Andrew is a stand up guy and I hope all have recovered.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    They did the "right thing". Did the passengers? Hope they remember the "didn't have to give it.....but GOT IT VOUCHER".... cost .... skipper and crew.... tips sacrificed.... for things they couldn't control.

I guess Im.saying.... in the past when this happens.... take care of those guys.... they still had to run....cook.... clean.... everything.... for little or no tips. I'm make a big thing of it.... reminding my fellow anglers..... this trip.... and a voucher for a future trip..... for the price of one?? I remind them that the boat LOST money today.... hope they do their part.... for the crew. Just a "proper" response..... to a great gesture. Let us know how that next trip goes brother!! Good luck!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Highwayman

• Jun 25, 2015
    Name
    Sammy
    Boat
    Party Boats and Skiff
    That's cool that they passed out vouchers.

Out of curiosity, what were the wind, swells, etc being reported?
    I was checking the weather because I am going out tomorrow. I think it was 4' to 10' with wind. Nothing to sneeze at. I was thinking I hope it drops by Saturday. I am somewhat of a tightwad but I haven't passed up on a trip I paid for yet.....yet.

Upvote 0

neversink2

Here fishy fishy fishy...
    Oct 9, 2004
    HUNTINGTON BEACH
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    31' Cabo Express
    Bummer on the weather but definitely a class act by the captain calling it and giving out vouchers. Thanks for the report and spreading good Karma. I rarely fish charters, but it sounds like Pacifia is A1.

Edit: I also clicked for the thread title.

Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    I agree with all above!. The boat lost money on the run!
    It will pay back on Carma for all involved.

The fact that you hooked meant they were in the right area and the fish were ready.

Consider yourself lucky... you could have been pulling for 6 hours then lost it.

Upvote 0

Omarkayak

I've posted enough I should know better...
    Jul 26, 2007
    Northridge, CA
    Name
    Donald W. Clarke III
    Boat
    11+ ft, Ocean Kayak Scrambler, P 'N' Queue Pod
    Tuff gnarl! You'll get 'em next go! Voucher is cool man.

Worst fishing weather I have "enjoyed" was on the Ultra at Tanner, first day of 2-day. Rods in starboard rack all knocked to the deck right when I got up, looked out the window said "holy shit." Freedom was out there too but they bailed for the island pretty much right away--we stayed. My buddy, former navy guy, never gets sick, says to me, "Hey bill check this out!" then pukes like he's trying to forge a jackson pollock painting. But... bluefin were biting good! And on the troll to start off each stop no less. Of course no big ones like last few years most 20-25, maybe 40 lbs max but loads of fun just the same. Almost easier to pull on a fish than just reel in your bait since you had something to brace against--otherwise you had to hold on with one hand and let go between waves to crank. We went in to the island at the end of the day all of us knees and hips bruised and absolutely beat to shit. These days I'd probably be laying at the entrance to the galley the whole time.

Good fishin'!
    BDC OK

Upvote 0

Koyote

Hooked
    Oct 18, 2018
    Menifee
    Name
    Z.
    Boat
    Yours
    The Pacifica just just made my list, they are standup guys for the way they handled it.
    My worst and first overnight went out in rough weather with no expectations of fish (from the capts. mouth) came back early and just stopped at near the bait barge and waited till landing opened so rentals could be returned. Not even an apology from the crew witch also was short do to a deckhand quiting and yelling at the rest of the crew at beginning of trip.
    I'll definitely be getting on the Pacifica

Upvote 0
    Jul 4, 2016
    Huntington Beach CA
    Name
    BFTbennett
    Boat
    N/A
    I agree with everyone that has commented on this thread. I will 100% fish the pacifica again especially with Andrew behind the wheel.

Ive fished with him since i was a kid and he was a deckhand on the angler. He gave us fair warning that the weather was going to be nasty before we left. The crew did not stop working the entire time. It was maximum effort from them from the moment we left till the minute we got back. If you get a chance, book with them.

Upvote 0

mark johnsen

Ichthus
    Aug 1, 2015
    redlands
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Blue J
    My buddies 20 year old son did the non-stop puke thing a few years back and had to be air-lifted. It can get serious. Good on the Pacifica for the vouchers and, hey man, not a lot you can do about a pulled hook...

Upvote 0