fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
Just read the reports from the Indy and Excel........seems there is a shark issue at both the Hurricane Bank and Buffer zone.....so if you are heading out take plenty of topshots or topshot making materials and lots of hooks just in case the sharks are still there.....

Saw a photo seems they are even going after the trolled Marauders.....:2gunsfiring_v1:

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I thought I'd seen everything but then I hooked a shark down on the bank on one of my old 7x's. Luckily it was a clean take in the corner of his mouth and I got my jig back. Sure did look funny coming in with that jig in his mouth...

wahoodad

Yaddah X3
Apr 27, 2003
US/Mexico
Name
Choate
Boat
Highliner
Yes, I saw that shark hooked on the trolled Marauder.

That is insane.
Not really, I've seen that way too many times.

Sad thing is, many times when those sharks leave, so do the fish. It's kind of like the birds, you just have to figure out what to do to avoid the obstacles.

Remember, it's called angling!

And, it is what it is, you get what you get. Just like life.

Oct 6, 2007
Saugus
Name
roger
Boat
18' 4Winns - traded for plumbing work
7x Heavy and big MoFo Brown shark at the Rocks a couple years ago for 45 min-not fun!

Jig Stick

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 21, 2008
Encinitas
Name
Ken
Boat
Cabo 216...Sold
Heading down in 12 more days on the Shogun 15 day. I'm looking forward to a change in the reports.

Jul 9, 2003
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
The Right Kind - 31' Cabo Express
I'm leaving tomorrow on the RP, flying down.
I hope conditions change but if not I'll be using some of Fishy's favorite easy release disposable hooks, EC 2005. :)

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
Just read the reports from the Indy and Excel........seems there is a shark issue at both the Hurricane Bank and Buffer zone.....so if you are heading out take plenty of topshots or topshot making materials and lots of hooks just in case the sharks are still there.....

Saw a photo seems they are even going after the trolled Marauders.....:2gunsfiring_v1:
White tips nailed me on the troll more than once. Expensive hook up.

spinner

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
david is right. you just have to fish through them. set up 8 or 9 chunk rigs and just keep chunking until you get a tuna bite, if they all get bit off, sit down retie all of them again and start over. the sharks are there because the bait and fish are too. thats when you can hook a big one. everyone els gets frustrated and sits down. just keep playing with your toys and keep fishing and something good will eventually happen. use your big gear so you can crank down on the sharks and not wast your energy or topshots.gooooooing

dh515

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 18, 2004
So Cal
Name
David
Boat
Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
david is right. you just have to fish through them. set up 8 or 9 chunk rigs and just keep chunking until you get a tuna bite, if they all get bit off, sit down retie all of them again and start over. the sharks are there because the bait and fish are too. thats when you can hook a big one. everyone els gets frustrated and sits down. just keep playing with your toys and keep fishing and something good will eventually happen. use your big gear so you can crank down on the sharks and not wast your energy or topshots.gooooooing
:rofl:
I've fished with Mike twice now. He's one of the few guys I've seen that has 8-9 extra complete rigs to dedicate to chunk fishing!

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
I sight-fished a salmon shark off La Jolla. He followed and hit a surface iron. I reeled him in, let him go, and caught him a second time on the iron.

spinner

Well-Known "Member"
Dec 2, 2007
irvine
Name
mikegooing
Boat
none
chunk fishing is worth the effort. you get big ones in the chunk line with sharks around. stick with it.goooooooooing