Tough day on an overnight

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by thekman, Sep 21, 2013.

1. thekman

thekman Newbie

Name:
    Kirk Braito
    Boat:
    18.5 Sea Ray, The Mothership
    Reservations got mixed up for a spot on the Cortez limited load overnight leaving the 19th so a scramble for a spot got us on The Sea Adventure II. Bad call. Motored out slow (to save fuel?) down to the upper hidden and worked some paddies. Smaller model dodos and yellows. Patty hopping and trolling and found a spot of mixed fish. Couple of YF hooked and my brother in law lost one at gaff since the deckhands were slow to respond to his calls for gaff. Insult to injury, deckhand dropped the hose and it soaked him. Kinda sketchy operation on deck. Customers told to tag their own fish, bounce fish, slow to feed fresh baits into (kinda awkward) bait tray on the back of the tank. Then....trouble with the bait pump, serpentine belt and we lose electrical. Bait rolled by 12 (not too sparky until then anyway) The (seemingly quite inexperienced) younger captain aimlessly wandered home making only half-hearted attempts to fish on the way home. Slow boat to the harbor (to save gas? Stretch trip to avoid refund?) All in all, the half-off next time ticket offered at the dock with an apology isn't that tempting due to such a poor experience on a sketchy boat. Felt bad for the deckhands/chef trying to do the best they could even though they were clearly exhausted and working for a cheap owner.

2. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Wow that is seriously a bummer, sorry about your experience. Maybe you can ask to use the half off on another boat by discreetly voicing your concerns to the landing? just a thought.

3. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....
    So, you were on this one.....

(18 anglers)

or this one.......

(16 anglers)

Each of which average out to about 7 fish per angler, and counting in the 2=5 dodos, probably close to your one day limits, and you're bitching?????? :rolleyes:

I haven't been out offshore yet this year, so I'll take all your fish, if it was such a bad experience.......

4. Werfless

Werfless Hugh Mann

Name:
    Hugh Mann
    Boat:
    Plastic Chariot

sounds bout right to me.. sounds like MX limits were exceeded...

5. Vermonster

Vermonster Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Sean
    Boat:
    I'm a Ho'.....

But, it was a "tough day"....... LOL

While he had his "tough day", I got up at 4:30 to work 6a-2p, home for a couple hours with no nap, and back in the evening to work a 10p-6a. Finally got to sleep after 27 hours.......And I didn't get to go fishing.............

6. Werfless

Werfless Hugh Mann

Name:
    Hugh Mann
    Boat:
    Plastic Chariot
    yeah.. i was changing diapers till bout 130 in the morn like this morn, then woke up and went to work at 0540.. i hear you there ver..

7. bstabski

bstabski Newbie

Name:
    Bryan
    Boat:
    NA
    It's been said numerous times.... Stay away but people always say.... Hmmm can't be that bad. There's a reason why they have tickets left to sell on all their trips....

8. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    On the trip with 18 anglers they did exceed limits if you only count the passengers and not crew as anglers. 36 dodo for 18 passengers leave 5 per angler of YT and tuna combined allowed on the daily limit. add tuna & YT divide by 18 and it's greater than 5. The crew do have Mexican fishing permits. So the number of fish divided by permit holders would likely squeak by. How you or I feel about that is a separate issue. Imo the landing should be smarter than advertising over limits. Generally speaking there aren't many Mensa's in the industry.
    I guess this post needs to be weighed vs the other 20 posts I've read about this boat this summer. All of those were positive.

9. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    They motor out slow to conserve fuel. It doesn't get light till after 6 a.m now. I'm guessing they had at least 10 hours to go 60 miles at the most (we fished the same area on a 1.5). They will figure the trip time and go at a speed that gives them the best fuel economy to get there in time to fish.
    Bait has sucked on the last couple trips I have been on.
    Looks like a decent amount of tuna.......I'm thinking I'd be bringing home limits with a count like that.
    I understand all things combined made for a "not so good" trip. Chalk it up to experience for next time.

10. windmillwilly

windmillwilly Newbie

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    nada
    was on the sa2 about a month ago it was a slower day[about 3 yt per guy]the owner was running the boat and if a stop dident produce quick we were moving.on that trip at least i felt the boat really worked to get us fish,no complaints it was a way better day than pushing mud around a wall

11. ConSeaMate

ConSeaMate Legend in my own mind

Name:
    Buster Brown
    Boat:
    28' Silverton "ConSeaMate"
    Sitting at a desk posting on BD is not working.......:waglleybooty:......

12. MikeyLikesIt

MikeyLikesIt did you say F I S H I N G ???

Name:
    starts with an "M".....
    Boat:
    #1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
    I guess you guys believe every fish count that gets posted, eh?

I am no fan of exceeding limits, but rippin the guy based on what the landing posts as a fish count? ESPECIALLY from that boat? :rofl:

13. tjohnson619

tjohnson619 Member

Name:
    tony
    Boat:
    assasin, 21 wellcraft coastal
    The limit is ten total fish and only five of each type...

In ocean waters and estuaries the limit is a total of ten fish per day, with no more than 5 catches of a single specie, except of the species of Marlin, Sailfish and Swordfish and Shark, of which only one specimen of either is allowed, and which counts as five toward the overall 10 fish limit, or Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad, or Tarpon, of which only two samples of each specie are allowed, and which count as five toward the overall 10 fish limit.

this is straight from th Mexican website

14. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    limits of fish and lots of dead bait. :1041677399:

now THAT is a heck of a problem for a skipper to be forced to deal with. :rolleyes:

15. zman91

zman91 Member

Name:
    Some guy
    Boat:
    yak
    If you cant have fun with a one day count like that then maybe you need to stay at home and grade papers instead.

16. Donkey Nick

Donkey Nick Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Nick Shamrock
    Boat:
    Shamrock 246 Walkaround
    12,000+ posts and haven't been offshore "yet" this year...LMAO During an epic and overdue summer...ROTFLMAO...The CLASSIC BD Monday Morning Quarterback.LOL

17. spize909

spize909 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    jeff
    Boat:
    no
    Maybe he's got cancer or something................14 posts and you're here to judge?

18. thekman

thekman Newbie

Name:
    Kirk Braito
    Boat:
    neither one of those was my boat. count was probably 20-30 rat yellows, 20-30 rat dorado and 6 yellowfin....for 31 anglers. Many guys got nothing.

19. thekman

thekman Newbie

Name:
    Kirk Braito
    Boat:
    31 anglers. no bathroom and food grill down.

- - - Updated - - -

31 anglers. no bathroom and food grill down.

20. thekman

thekman Newbie

Name:
    Kirk Braito
    Boat:
    counts are not accurate. 31 anglers. many problems...