Tough Day in the LBC, Sat. 02-10-18

SaltH20Angler

I'm not superstitious... cuz it's bad luck.
Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Over the last few weeks, we have been having some downright beautiful weather here in sunny Southern Cali, so naturally, my thoughts went to fishing. Last Saturday, Benny and I started doing the preseason motions of going through the boat (19.5' Triton CC) and trailer looking for things to clean, repair, and replace, and inspect in prep for the upcoming year. It was so warm that we decided to put together a lil trip to LBC (maybe Catalina if the weather held up) the following Saturday (yesterday).

All week leading up to Saturday, the weather was beautiful. I woke up Friday morning and the weather called for fog and wind on Saturday, damn! Apparently, a low-pressure system decided to move in. At that point, I knew we wouldn't be making the run to Catalina and we would likely be hitting the local spots (Horseshoe Kelp, Rocky Point, maybe Izors) to fish bass. We got to Davies about 6am and there was no fog to our surprise. The launch ramp was pretty much empty with the exception for a sweet looking sled skippered by Midge. After a bit of small talk, we launched and were on our way. We decided to skip Nachos because we had a ton of artificial jigs/lures/swimbaits that have always done well for us in the past. I also had a pound of fresh frozen squid...just in case.

The fishfinder and GPS system was working fine...at first, then the display started acting up as we were passing Ballast Point. Minutes later, the display went dark, so we spent about 20 minutes trying to troubleshoot the issue before accepting that the cause was more than just a loose battery connection from the prior week when we cleaned the battery terminals. Not a good sign, but I have fished plenty of great days without a GPS or fish finder. In fact my best day last year, the fishfinder went out on another boat I fish on and we KILLED the YT that day.

We stayed inside the harbor to speed up the ride to PV, and exited the harbor out of San Pedro. As we came out of the harbor, we noticed the swell was a little bigger than forecasted, but not big enough to cause any real concern. Right as we passed Cabrillo Beach, we saw what any fisherman loves to see, a bunch of birds (probably 200+), working hard. The birds were flying in a circular pattern and diving like crazy. I lose my freaking mind when I see that type of action every single time it happens, no exceptions. We hurried to tie on a couple of jigs and gunned it to the middle of the action. We weren't the only ones who saw the birds because two more skiffs joined us in a matter of minutes. First cast... we both are hooked up...on mackerel that were too big to use for bait. After we caught a few each, we got bored and moved on to the PV kelp.

The wind was moving pretty good which made our drift equally as fast. We didn't know what the water temp was and we weren't able to pull up right on top of the fish because the fishfinder issue but we were at the Horseshoe Kelp for god's sake, its loaded with bass there. We threw everything we had at the bass (even the proven K-man specials swimbaits) and only managed a few short Calicos. Benny and I both saw the Rubber Duckie report from last week and just don't understand how Lal and whoever is with him pulls 50+ fish any given day. We imaged that the Duckie was somewhere close killing bass in cold water so that motivated us not to give up. After giving it everything we had, fishing the top, fishing the bottom, fishing all colors of swim baits, hard baits, laser minnows, squish jigs, even a freshwater bass jig I have, we decided to head to the 150.

It took longer than we expected to get to the 150 due to the swell and wind. When we arrived, there were a couple of private boats there but I didn't see anyone bendo. Because we were out of the kelp and less likely to snag, I dropped a leadhead down with a whole squid. Once again, caught a few short Calicos and some more large mackerel, but nothing worth taking a picture of. We didn't want to go deep to avoid picking up a rockfish and killing any because of the swim bladder, so that wasn't much help. We again threw everything we had at the ocean and drifted so fast that we were almost back in PV in no time.

From there, we hit the oil rig closest to Seal Beach to flip weedless swimbaits inside the columns a technique that has always worked well for me in the past. At this point, I am simply awestruck because again nothing other than what was either a quick snag or a small bite, but nothing made it to the boat. After about 8 or so drifts at the oil rig, we decided to hit the breakwall before calling it a day. Just like before, we caught a couple of mackerel a few small calico bass and that's counting the 20 minutes or so that we fished around Nacho's bait barge.

That pretty much ended our day, and as much as I would had loved to bring home some fish to eat today, we still had a great time "fishing". We identified a few more things we need to maintain on the boat, and were somewhat thankful that the fishfinder/GPS issue happened early in the season so we have time to fix it before the fishing gets good and we head offshore.

On a side note, Benny and I were able to get a couple of keeper Reds, a couple of keeper clears, a big 1, and the jackpot catch of the day which was a camo color backpack. Ever since Willdoggy posted about the mylar balloons (https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/t...mylar-round-up-gaff-em-and-trash-them.670591/), we have gone a lil out of our way to gaff them to help out the environment. Please keep it going and share what junk you have picked up on while you fish. All in all, it was still a good day with a good friend on the water. I'm not going to lie... I am really sore from having to work so hard not to fall down from the swell/wind.

Sorry for such a long post for no fish, but I hope you enjoy the read.

20180210_105341_resized.jpg 20180210_155817_resized.jpg 20180210_155819_resized.jpg 20180210_155843_resized.jpg 20180210_155845_resized.jpg 20180210_155848_resized.jpg 20180210_155851_resized_1.jpg 20180210_155854_resized_1.jpg 20180210_155857_resized_1.jpg 20180210_155900_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:

Tailman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 15, 2003
Cerritos
Visit site
Name
Lal Parsonge
Boat
18ft Pacific Inflat. Tailman
Another nice day on the water. The bass have been eating the 4 in. red flake with a 1 oz red head pretty good.Calico hunter and brown bait in 4 in. also. Good luck

Reactions: SaltH20Angler

Tunaslam

Apr 25, 2003
Diamond Bar, Ca 91765
Name
Cory Visser
Boat
N/A
Bummer on the slow fishing, we stopped in about 30 different places and went over 50 miles to catch our 50 to 60 fish. We had to work hard everywhere, even with great weather, however little current. I would sure like to know what makes current go. I always thought it was big tide swings, but that is simply not the case. Even with 8 foot swings, little current? As they always say right place at the right time, and if you have enough places to search, you get lucky sometimes as we did out at the shoe at high noon, when we found a large area of hard bottom loaded with feeding Calico Bass on a big bait ball. Who knew?

Better luck next time out. Weather looks bad all week!

DrBob89

Jul 12, 2017
Altadena, CA
Name
Bob Nigbor
Boat
Freedom Boat Club
Thanks for the report. Tasty mylar, I suggest sashimi since cooking doesn't work too well.

tuner

pysgotwyr
May 24, 2006
Huntington Beach
Name
Steve
Boat
260 Mackinaw
Too bad the fishing was slow and the FF crapped out. Future good fishing karma for the bag limits!

ssrmr2

Mar 15, 2006
OC
Name
Steve
Boat
17' montauk "Anger Management"
nice on the mylar balloons. too bad this is the hurricane bank you could use the mylar for wahoo bombs.

GregAndrew

Dec 28, 2008
San Gabriel,Ca.,USA
Name
Greg
Boat
T15 Kayak
Great job on the balloons! I make it a point to come back with more plastic than I left with. It is only a dent, but it is probably improving the quality of life of some poor sea creature(s). You got some karma points built up for your next trip.

Hollis Harris

Jul 6, 2017
Riverside, ca
Name
Randy
Boat
Sea hunt
Mylar is always in season, good karma coming your way. Shake down trips are part of early season boating, better to find issues now than offshore.

colemans224

May 28, 2008
SoCal
Name
Tim
Boat
seaswirl cc
Nice job, man, thanks for the report. Sounds like you guys did well considering the conditions. Nice job on the balloons too.

P

Paddyman1

Great job on the balloons! I make it a point to come back with more plastic than I left with. It is only a dent, but it is probably improving the quality of life of some poor sea creature(s). You got some karma points built up for your next trip.
Short term plastic is just plain wrong. Ask any sea-living creature, while they’re still alive.

Danger__157

Jul 20, 2017
Los angeles
Name
Dave
Boat
Maxum
I was out there with you working the bird pile in the red boat. Sorry I couldn’t get you on the radio. We had pretty much the same results, macs on the pile and nothing along the break wall. The kelp at point Fermin only produced two big perch. We’ll get’em next time.

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
I was out there with you working the bird pile in the red boat. Sorry I couldn’t get you on the radio. We had pretty much the same results, macs on the pile and nothing along the break wall. The kelp at point Fermin only produced two big perch. We’ll get’em next time.
Those birds were fun, werent they. Can you imagine the stories we would have had if those birds were off shore somewhere and the macs were tuna. :rockin:

Also, looks like Benny found a loose crimp connection at the battery. The fishfinder is working now. :D

reel therapy

21 Triumph CC
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego ca. us
Name
thomas
Boat
21' CC Love Them Triumphs!
Great writing my friend! Not only are you a good guy, and a great fisherman, but you can write and tell a story, like no other! ( Capt. Ali or some fishing magazine should hire you )!!Actually, since I have fished with you a few times, I have to say you write better than you fish!! lol I do remember hearing a story about two guys, fishing off I.B. and killing the YT, with a stalled Garmin FF!!! Hmmm ?? What a skipper! Lets fish soon and / or buddy boat Catalina..... Props to You & Benny for picking up the garbage! Good fishing Karma for sure!
P.S. What kind of brew pairs well with a red myler?

Last edited:

SaltH20Angler

Aug 6, 2016
SoCal - Corona
Name
Christopher
Boat
I know a couple guys...
Great writing my friend! Not only are you a good guy, and a great fisherman, but you can write and tell a story, like no other! ( Capt. Ali or some fishing magazine should hire you )!!Actually, since I have fished with you a few times, I have to say you write better than you fish!! lol I do remember hearing a story about two guys, fishing off I.B. and killing the YT, with a stalled Garmin FF!!! Hmmm ?? What a skipper! Lets fish soon and / or buddy boat Catalina..... Props to You & Benny for picking up the garbage! Good fishing Karma for sure!
P.S. What kind of brew pairs well with a red myler?
You are too kind Tom...I think...LOL. :eek:

(@Ali, call me so we can talk about me writing for BD.) o_O

Tom, that day we put a hurtin' on those YT lips off I.B. was my best day of catchin' last year. You sir are a top notch Skipper and I cant wait to fish with you and TJ this spring. Benny said he is certainly down to buddy boat to Cat.

What brew pairs well with red mylar?... George Killian's Red of course. :cheers:

Tight Lines Tom!!

Tuna Vic

Mar 17, 2010
Whittier California
Name
Victor
Boat
18ftC/CWellcraft Calico Time II
Nice going on the trash retrieval,very well could have saved someone’s impeller or motor,wtg!

tmitch760

Aug 6, 2008
Santee
Name
T.J.
Boat
Triumph 21 cc
Thanks bro... I love the Iron. My favorite way to fish the salt. 30 + years and still addicted. LOL. Did you guys end up getting the electronics fixed?