Totalscan Transducer issue

Anwen

Apr 19, 2021
Cornwall
Name
Shaun Owen
Boat
13ft punt
Hi , I recently got myself a second hand Lowrance Elite i 7 with total scan, the boat had no previous electrics so I went about installing new cables, battery the unit and then the transducer after watching countless YouTube vids,, when taking the boat out for the first time using the set up the sonar claimed I was constantly at 3ft depth even when several hundred yards offshore, I rang the guy who I trust and know very well, I explained the issue I had and he asked if I had been in demo mode when firing up unit in the garage during installation which I did not, I had the power on with transducer connected for up to half an hour, he explained I had probably burned in the depth from the transducer to the floor of my garage, which was about the same depth as the sonar was showing so makes sense, I just can't seem to find any info out there of anyone doing the same ,,, is this possible? can it be fixed or is now fit for the rubbish tip??? Many thanks in advance for reply's!!

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
Hi , I recently got myself a second hand Lowrance Elite i 7 with total scan, the boat had no previous electrics so I went about installing new cables, battery the unit and then the transducer after watching countless YouTube vids,, when taking the boat out for the first time using the set up the sonar claimed I was constantly at 3ft depth even when several hundred yards offshore, I rang the guy who I trust and know very well, I explained the issue I had and he asked if I had been in demo mode when firing up unit in the garage during installation which I did not, I had the power on with transducer connected for up to half an hour, he explained I had probably burned in the depth from the transducer to the floor of my garage, which was about the same depth as the sonar was showing so makes sense, I just can't seem to find any info out there of anyone doing the same ,,, is this possible? can it be fixed or is now fit for the rubbish tip??? Many thanks in advance for reply's!!
With the recent upgrades here and prizes for everything, I want to nominate you for the longest sentence. Don't get too excited though, you might loose since you made your closing 6 words into a sentence by themselves. In any event, I can't find the nomination button!

Reactions: kevina
Anwen
Anwen
Sorry.I.had.no.idea.this.was.a.literacy.contest. Smart Arse!!:p
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    With the recent upgrades here and prizes for everything, I want to nominate you for the longest sentence. Don't get too excited though, you might loose since you made your closing 6 words into a sentence by themselves. In any event, I can't find the nomination button!
    Loose, LOOSE, LOOSE
    You lose by default for this epic fail.

Also to the OP, have you tried a hard reset on unit?

Reactions: MYNomad
    Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    Lowrance has a help number to call 800 628-4487. You need better buddy's for information call the number.

Reactions: Anwen
    Upvote 0

Anwen

Apr 19, 2021
    Cornwall
    Name
    Shaun Owen
    Boat
    13ft punt
    Loose, LOOSE, LOOSE
    You lose by default for this epic fail.

Also to the OP, have you tried a hard reset on unit?
    No not as yet, have since installed a in hull transducer which works ok, just trying to find out if the original can be fixed after what I did or if its scrap, by all accounts iv ruined it by overheating using it out the water. gutted

Upvote 0

JPeterson

Almost A Member
    Mar 16, 2009
    Bakersfield, Ca, USA
    Name
    Jeremy Peterson
    Boat
    22' Davis Cortez
    I can’t even begin to estimate how much time I’ve spent with my Lowrance (and Raymarine) units on while looking at mapping when my boat was parked beside the house, often times for hours at a time. I’m talking well over a hundred hours over the last four or five years. I was never looking at the fish finder page, but as long as the unit is on the transducer is running (unless you manually stop the fish finder or put it in demo mode). I’ve never had a problem like you’re describing, and both of my transducers still work as well today as they did when they were brand new.

Reactions: onehottip and Anwen
    Upvote 0

Crowman

Almost A Member
    Mar 3, 2017
    Northern California
    Name
    Crowman
    Boat
    YES
    I can’t even begin to estimate how much time I’ve spent with my Lowrance (and Raymarine) units on while looking at mapping when my boat was parked beside the house, often times for hours at a time. I’m talking well over a hundred hours over the last four or five years. I was never looking at the fish finder page, but as long as the unit is on the transducer is running (unless you manually stop the fish finder or put it in demo mode). I’ve never had a problem like you’re describing, and both of my transducers still work as well today as they did when they were brand new.
    Same here on everything JPeterson said.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None

I seriously doubt your transducer is burned out. Its more likely a configuration, installation or all the above. If you don't have the transducer plugged in, it would show exactly what you mentioned. It would look like there is a 3 feet reflection with nothing else. There is residual noise in all electronics and the fish finder displays that noise that is really internal electrical noise from the CPU/clocks/data signals, etc. I have a fish finder that is not plugged in and does not have a transducer and it shows a nice flat line as you described.

First thing you need to do is to make sure the correct transducer shows up in your settings. Click on the menu and: Settings -> Sonar -> Installation

Make sure your source is your unit and the transducer type matches your transducer.

Source: This unit
    Transducer Type: Make sure your transducer shows up

Your transducer should have an internal ID that tells the fish finder what type of transducer. That transducer should automatically be listed. However, if you use a generic transducer, you have to pick the correct transducer from the list. If your transducer does not show up or is not the correct one, you need to make sure the correct one is shown.

If its all correct, click the "SAVE" button.

Go back to : Settings -> Sonar
    Make sure your sonar is turned on

There are many other things to check next, but this is the first thing you need to verify that its correct. The problem is that you bought it from someone else. Who knows what configurations they had prior. They may have an external sonar box and set that as the setting. They may have networked it to another unit and the sonar is connected to the other unit and uses the network to display the sonar information.

If you did not see your transducer listed on your fish finder, you can check your cables. Look for nicks, cuts or bent pins on the connector. Look for corrosion or other damage. Look for anything out of the ordinary that may cause the transducer to not show up on your fish finder. The transducer should have an internal ID that automatically identifies the type and model to the fish finder. Unless its a type that it doesn't recognize, it should automatically configure as soon as its plugged in and the fish finder is turned off/on. I personally prefer to plug in or unplug transducers when the fish finder is off. I don't think it would damage it if its still powered up, but I rather not find out. My Airmar transducer cost close to $1400 new, so I wouldn't want to blow that up.

Another way to check is to set it at a low frequency of 50KHz or 83 KHz on your fish finder. Turn on the sonar. Go up to the transducer and put your ears next to it. You should be able to hear the sounds coming from the transducer as long as you don't have hearing loss. Its actually cool to listen to a Chirp sonar because you can hear it sweep from low frequency all the way up to 200 KHz where its way out of my hearing range.

If all else fails, do a factory reset so your settings are back to the original. You can find all the manuals in the link below. You need to look at the operator and also the installation manual. The installation manual goes through all the settings better than the operator manual.

Manuals:

Worse case, you can borrow/steal a transducer from a friend if they have a spare to test. Its more common than you think to have a spare or to have someone not use the factory transducer because they bought an Airmar transducer. If you don't have friends, you can buy a new transducer. The "Active Imaging" transducer is better than your total scan transducer. It produces a better picture.

$236
    1619154364162.png

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Anwen

Apr 19, 2021
    Cornwall
    Name
    Shaun Owen
    Boat
    13ft punt
    I seriously doubt your transducer is burned out. Its more likely a configuration, installation or all the above. If you don't have the transducer plugged in, it would show exactly what you mentioned. It would look like there is a 3 feet reflection with nothing else. There is residual noise in all electronics and the fish finder displays that noise that is really internal electrical noise from the CPU/clocks/data signals, etc. I have a fish finder that is not plugged in and does not have a transducer and it shows a nice flat line as you described.

First thing you need to do is to make sure the correct transducer shows up in your settings. Click on the menu and: Settings -> Sonar -> Installation

Make sure your source is your unit and the transducer type matches your transducer.

Your transducer should have an internal ID that tells the fish finder what type of transducer. That transducer should automatically be listed. However, if you use a generic transducer, you have to pick the correct transducer from the list. If your transducer does not show up or is not the correct one, you need to make sure the correct one is shown.

There are many other things to check next, but this is the first thing you need to verify that its correct. The problem is that you bought it from someone else. Who knows what configurations they had prior. They may have an external sonar box and set that as the setting. They may have networked it to another unit and the sonar is connected to the other unit and uses the network to display the sonar information.

If you did not see your transducer listed on your fish finder, you can check your cables. Look for nicks, cuts or bent pins on the connector. Look for corrosion or other damage. Look for anything out of the ordinary that may cause the transducer to not show up on your fish finder. The transducer should have an internal ID that automatically identifies the type and model to the fish finder. Unless its a type that it doesn't recognize, it should automatically configure as soon as its plugged in and the fish finder is turned off/on. I personally prefer to plug in or unplug transducers when the fish finder is off. I don't think it would damage it if its still powered up, but I rather not find out. My Airmar transducer cost close to $1400 new, so I wouldn't want to blow that up.

Another way to check is to set it at a low frequency of 50KHz or 83 KHz on your fish finder. Turn on the sonar. Go up to the transducer and put your ears next to it. You should be able to hear the sounds coming from the transducer as long as you don't have hearing loss. Its actually cool to listen to a Chirp sonar because you can hear it sweep from low frequency all the way up to 200 KHz where its way out of my hearing range.

If all else fails, do a factory reset so your settings are back to the original. You can find all the manuals in the link below. You need to look at the operator and also the installation manual. The installation manual goes through all the settings better than the operator manual.

Manuals:

Worse case, you can borrow/steal a transducer from a friend if they have a spare to test. Its more common than you think to have a spare or to have someone not use the factory transducer because they bought an Airmar transducer. If you don't have friends, you can buy a new transducer. The "Active Imaging" transducer is better than your total scan transducer. It produces a better picture.

$236
    View attachment 1273905
    Shadow

Manuals:

$236
    View attachment 1273905
    ShadowX , Thank you so much for your reply, A fully comprehensive troubleshoot was what I needed. I did go back to the guy who I bought from and he gave me an in hull airmar transducer as he said he felt bad because he should have told me to not fire up out of the water unless in demo mode, with this new transduce the unit is now working fine as it is set to the correct transducer. I will go through your list and report back within the next week or so. Many thanks friend!

ShadowX

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    Shadow

ShadowX , Thank you so much for your reply, A fully comprehensive troubleshoot was what I needed. I did go back to the guy who I bought from and he gave me an in hull airmar transducer as he said he felt bad because he should have told me to not fire up out of the water unless in demo mode, with this new transduce the unit is now working fine as it is set to the correct transducer. I will go through your list and report back within the next week or so. Many thanks friend!

The in-hull transducers perform better in terms of being able to hold bottom while your boat is on plane. However, you still need a totalscan or active imaging transducer in order to use the sidescan and downscan functions.

If the other transducer works, it means most of your config is probably correct. It is likely there is something wrong physically with your totalscan transducer. It may be possible the transducer was damaged during removal and the install. If its a nicked wire, it can be repaired by splicing. If its a broken wire or pin, you may need to get a replacement cable/connector. If its a 9 pin connector, they are not cheap. However, its still cheaper than a new transducer.

I don't know which Airmar model he gave you. The better transducers can handle Chirp sonar signals. Chirp is far superior to the standard 50 Khz or 83 Khz transducers. It allows you to sweep a frequency range and get better target separation on the fish marks. It also puts more sound energy into the water so get more target marks.

Upvote 0

Latest posts