tossing iron; rods and reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Shimano Penn, May 16, 2016.

1. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    So I'm getting the hang of this jig tossing thing and have a couple questions for you experts on equipment. I have a few reels to play with like Daiwa x40sha's, Avet mxl 5.8's, older Torium 20, brand new Penn 30ld2. So far I'm liking the Penn best. I'm not opposed to buying the star drag version of that reel or the 25N.

My reel question is this: which casts better, braid or mono? Most of the reels are set up with 65lb braid backing and ~100' 30 or 40 lb mono. I do have an mxl that is straight braid, have not tried it. I'm guessing (if mono top shot is used) you want it long enough to make the cast so the knot doesn't pass through the guides?

As for rods I have a grip of 7 footers mostly 30lb class but nothing longer. The stiffest rod (seeker BSC 670-7) seems to work best. Does that sound right? Is it even worth "moving up" to an 8' rod or should I just commit and go 9 ? I think 9' is my limit for basic storage and handling logistics.

In the classifieds there is a Californian CTX909H I have my eye on, I was told those rods are made for Turner's by Phenix, true dat?

As always TIA for any input.

2. dctalk523

dctalk523 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    ChoeMan
    Boat:
    Never
    Use the search feature and you will find your answers.