coastalwerks

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 20, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Lance De Guzman
Boat
Local Kine!
Trying to fit some of my Torques on a older seeker rod that’s a little fat. Anyone know where I can find longer reel clamp screws?

A2C8C65C-BD0A-4EB3-A80D-A235AF4D7BF8.jpeg

SouthBayKiller

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Same issue for me on my fathoms, picked up some screws that worked at Ace Hardware, not the same head, but a pan head will work the same, just tighten down the nut really well to keep it in place.

Reactions: Haly0

Jaysons999

Internet fisherman
Apr 5, 2015
San marcos
Name
Jay
Boat
16' blue fin "paddy sniffer" 18' Starcraft “Ace of Spades”
I did the same may have to file it so it doesn’t rub on the spool.

coastalwerks

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 20, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Lance De Guzman
Boat
Local Kine!
Thanks guys for tip will check out Ace. Does Penn have a longer screw available in this format? Or is there maybe another reel clamp available for situations like these, maybe a cork puppy or Tiburon clamp?

Cago

Feb 24, 2011
La Palma, CA USA
Name
Marvin
Boat
“Free Spool”
I had to buy longer ones and then file one of the heads flat. Do a search on one of my threads. I might have extras.

T.O.T.W.

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
Are you saying even with this Penn screw I need to grind the sides of the head to fit the Torques?
I did not have to grind anything and these screws fit on both my star and lever drag Torques.

Any aftermarket screws will need to be grounded. Penn does not offer a longer screw.
These are Penn screws. They fit a 349 or 209, or something like that. They do not have the flattened side but it has not been an issue for me to get them to fit.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
I did not have to grind anything and these screws fit on both my star and lever drag Torques.

These are Penn screws. They fit a 349 or 209, or something like that. They do not have the flattened side but it has not been an issue for me to get them to fit.

I would be concerned that the line may get caught on the screws when casting.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
With the avets I shit can the studs and go with allen bolts perhaps this would work with the torques

Reactions: No Cal Lou

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
With the avets I shit can the studs and go with allen bolts perhaps this would work with the torques
1/4-20 threads on AVET.

Penn uses the T-Slot for studs. A panhead or carriage bolt should work.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
I like the thought behind this since I’ve bent the penn tool in the past.
if you are bending wrenches, this might not be for you.

If you do try this on an AVET or other aluminum reel with threaded holes in the main body and you don't size your screws just right, you might find you deform the reel, making the reel body rub on the spool.

I know, because I have.

Been using this method with corkpuppies for five years. Adding a flat and lock washer is a good idea as well. There really is only 3-4 full turns before the screw bottoms out.

coastalwerks

Well-Known "Member"
Apr 20, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
Name
Lance De Guzman
Boat
Local Kine!
4814A589-E504-489B-8FD0-BFB34F204462.jpeg

I’m talking about this tool and how It bends easily. An Allen head screw just seemed like a good idea but I do understand the mechanics.

if you are bending wrenches, this might not be for you.

If you do try this on an AVET or other aluminum reel with threaded holes in the main body and you don't size your screws just right, you might find you deform the reel, making the reel body rub on the spool.

I know, because I have.

Been using this method with corkpuppies for five years. Adding a flat and lock washer is a good idea as well. There really is only 3-4 full turns before the screw bottoms out.