Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
Okay sorting through all of the above I think I understand now and was ignorant before :rolleyes: I thought it was the actual components (bearings) that were the determining factor, did not really understand about the "care and feeding" aspect of it all: grease vrs oil, too much grease, etc. Thanks to all who helped clear this up for me.

Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    This simple thread has gone a bit awry.
    Okay sorting through all of the above I think I understand now and was ignorant before :rolleyes: I thought it was the actual components (bearings) that were the determining factor, did not really understand about the "care and feeding" aspect of it all: grease vrs oil, too much grease, etc. Thanks to all who helped clear this up for me.

You were subjected to quite a bit of incorrect information in this thread... To clarify, the actual components (bearings) ARE the determining factor and they are one-in-the-same. Hence, there is no difference whatsoever in freespool between the stock FTH and TRQ.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Torque LD and SD share the same bearing part #'s as their Fathom counterparts (at least in the 12 and 15 size I checked), check the schematics part listing...
    oh wow, i just saw in the torque 40 schematic they really are the same, they all share the same bearings from the fathom it seems.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

tunanorth

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    This simple thread has gone a bit awry.

You were subjected to quite a bit of incorrect information in this thread... To clarify, the actual components (bearings) ARE the determining factor and they are one-in-the-same. Hence, there is no difference whatsoever in freespool between the stock FTH and TRQ.

There was a "running change" to both series in 2017.
    To clarify, this note is from the engineer who designed the reel:

Both bearings are upgrades from the original GRW with standard lubrication. FTH bearing is made by GRW and TRQ made by NMB. Both are premium bearings and the same size so they are interchangeable.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Pitchinwedge
    Upvote 0

JK47

May 19, 2019
    HB
    Name
    Alek
    Boat
    SS Minnow
    To clarify, this note is from the engineer who designed the reel.
    There was a "running change" to both series in 2017.

Both bearings are upgrades from the original GRW with standard lubrication. FTH bearing is made by GRW and TRQ made by NMB. Both are premium bearings and the same size so they are interchangeable.
    Why do they have the same Penn part #'s? Who makes them now?

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's

I'd have to guess that while the sizes are the same--hence the schematic indifference to source--the Penn folks probably put a higher quality BB in the Torques. The bass guys have been upgrading bearings forever. I'm sure there are many other makers that would provide a bearing with the same dimensions if this is really something anyone would want to pursue. Returns will diminish quickly as price goes up, though. No one is going to be casting mini jigs with these reels.

Reactions: KXKH
    J
    JK47
    How does Penn know if I'm putting the bearing in a Torque or a Fathom, when the part #'s are exactly the same?
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.