Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
Dec 3, 2014
Chula Vista
Name
David
Boat
Fond Memory
I have always been a loyal Penn enthusiast and still have all my older INT II reels, but ever since FathomLD2's showed up that is pretty much all I fish. I have 8 of them 8-) However I feel that the "out-of-the-box" free spool leaves much to be desired compared to other brand reels and so far have had 6 of the 8 blueprinted by Cal Sheets to get what I'm looking for. The only ones I didn't modify are the (2) 60's which I use only for trolling.
So my question is... if I up my game to a set of Torques ($$$$$$$) will I get better free spool off the shelf or will I still be sending them off at additional expense for improved performance?

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
Dec 23, 2005
San Diego
Name
Chris L
Boat
Leo's
They can always be hot rodded for more free spool. It will depend on how much you really need, but I fished my Torques as is without really wanting/needing more free spool. This was true for both star and lever drag. Once I did break them down, I was able to get more spin time with a little attention to the spool bearings. It's not all that hard to do it yourself without sending to Cal.--if more free spool is all you're looking for. Drag mods are a different story.

Reactions: James Taylor
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
What good is a lot of freespool on a larger sized reel ? It's not like you need to toss Anchovies with it.

Upvote 0

bdogie1

• May 27, 2015
    Name
    Brandon
    Boat
    getsome
    I have 3 penn fth models 25n 40n 60 and they are less than a year old but when I spin them the feel spool for a very long time matter of fact I was comparing the free spool to my avet reels and there insane good? So not understanding why one would need any adjustment?

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    I have 3 penn fth models 25n 40n 60 and they are less than a year old but when I spin them the feel spool for a very long time matter of fact I was comparing the free spool to my avet reels and there insane good? So not understanding why one would need any adjustment?
    Interesting, I have all those reels plus others. The "straight stock" free spool on my HXW Raptors is WAAAAAY better that than the straight stock free spool of the Fathoms. Granted they are almost twice the price so there's that. My OP was a question about Torques ( not Fathoms) which rival the price of the Raptors.

Upvote 0

Shimano Penn

Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Dropping a flat fall jig with insane free spool is a recipe for a backlash...
    I can see that potential but have not experienced it. My personal experience with this is that dropping a FF jig with insane free spool causes one to involuntarily yell BITER !!!!!!! 8-)

Upvote 0

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    I have 9 Torque LD2 reels. Some of them had terrific free spool out of the box, others were not very good. I found that the free spool depends on who at Penn assembled that particular reel. Some of the assemblers just literally painted the reel with grease. Once all the excess grease is removed the spin as good as any reel.

JK47

May 19, 2019
    HB
    Name
    Alek
    Boat
    SS Minnow
    I can see that potential but have not experienced it. My personal experience with this is that dropping a FF jig with insane free spool causes one to involuntarily yell BITER !!!!!!! 8-)
    I have maybe because I've serviced all my spool bearings, have silly amounts of free spool, and have to thumb the spool on the drop or I have a mess of line. First hand experience, not living vicariously through the BD threads.

Reactions: hucklongfin
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    So my question is... if I up my game to a set of Torques ($$$$$$$) will I get better free spool off the shelf or will I still be sending them off at additional expense for improved performance?

No difference whatsoever between FTH/TRQ.

Regardless of which version you choose, you can DIY or you can send them off for improvement. The stock bearings come packed with grease so they don't freespool as well as some others.

Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat
    None
    Hmm...

Many variables here, and here are my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Fathoms are great. I myself have 6 of them. So let's try to break down some of your thoughts.

First, what is your expectation of how much it "should" freespool "out of the box" or otherwise? Comparing freespool performance to another brand reel is meaningless unless there are variables that can be tightly controlled for apples-to-apples comparisons such as design, physical dimensions, mass, preset drag settings, bearings, ... I could go on and on, but hopefully you get the point. What is more meaningful here would be a comparison to other Fathoms in the same size/model and ideal if it's "out of the box" new as it minimizes variables such as "was one reel Cal-d? or "is one reel's spool bearings running nothing but a single drop of TSI321", or ... almost infinite variables. Why does this matter? Well, it's unclear at this point if you're looking for the difference of a few seconds, or if you are looking at 10s of seconds.

The only "good" thing about your comparison to another brand would lead me to comment on the second biggest factor in your observations or expectations. That would be (likely) a consistent method you are using to determine "feel [for the] "out-of-the-box" free spool". A different method of measuring or "feeling" the freespool performance on one reel vs another would certainly lead to biased conclusions.

So, perhaps not the answer you were looking for, but a re-evaluation of your observations and expectations. If it still doesn't meet them, then either factory warranty or Cal's. But for what it's worth, all mine get pretty good freespool performance relative to the line class I fish them at.

Or a quicker answer to your main question for free spool would be, IMO, no, the equivalent Torque would not freespool any "better" than the Fathom based upon what I understand of the design schematic between the two product lines.

Upvote 0

Fishing_Frank

• Sep 23, 2020
    Costa Mesa
    Name
    Frank
    Boat
    N/A
    In my experience majority of reels from factory come with greased bearings... that being said I pull out the shields and dunk them in acetone for an hour or so then lube em up with penn precision oil. They spin like tops. Good free spool takes good maintenance of the bearings

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat
    None
    I'm also going to go out on a limb here and assume you are running the 40N for your use case since you mention the 60 is being used for trolling. With what I'll assume is a flatfall that is at a minimum 200g, I can't fathom (no pun intended) how that kind of weight would adversely impact your perception of freespool.

By the off chance it actually does, then I would initially state there is something very wrong going on here.

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    There is certainly going to be some variability in the amount of grease used in the assembly of any given reel [FTH or TRQ], and its also possible that excess grease could get onto the spool bearings of any of them.
    Fathoms in particular can be a bit over-packed, and use in hot weather causes it to flow, and create a "vacuum" between the spool and left sideplate that can slow the freespool [though the over-greasing at the factory level has been alleviated].
    Usually the solution is a simple wipedown of the excess grease, but if you want to be meticulous, a full de-greasing, then using a "modest" amount on the gears, and the "speed oil" product of your choice on the spool bearings will give you more freespool than most people can handle.

Reactions: TOTW
    Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
    Apr 27, 2003
    santee
    Visit site
    Name
    dwayne
    Boat
    Cabo 216
    Too much grease! You will be surprised when you open the offending reels and see how much grease they put on the bearings that migrates to create the problems. Clean, re-lubricate and you will be fine.

Reactions: Fishing_Frank
    Upvote 0

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    a torque has better bearings, a machined and anodized aluminum frame and side plates. Even though the fathom might be able to handle a bit more drag maintaining freespool, the frame will be at it's limits being cast.

Really? Any evidence to support these comments?

There's always some fanboy-ism when it comes to gear, but lets not become like the media covering politicians. :D

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Really? Any evidence to support these comments?

There's always some fanboy-ism when it comes to gear, but lets not become like the media covering politicians. :D
    After doing some research on cast vs machined there is actually little difference in strength, with cast most of the time being stronger...? As for the torques bearings I do know they use higher grade bearings but the bearings in these reels never had any major problems. I exaggerated that last part thinking machined was stronger than cast :p:..

tunanorth

Dec 4, 2005
    By the lake
    Name
    Tunanorth
    Boat
    Bass Tracker 16
    Its not so much a brute strength issue; I can't say I have ever heard of either TRQ or FTH frames actually breaking except in cases where they were dropped.
    Its more of a rigidity issue, with the machined frames having less flex in actual fishing use.
    I recently spoke with a tackle shop owner who accidentally dropped an FTH40NLD2 onto a cement floor, and only bent the handle, so frame breakage does not seem to be a huge issue even then [still not recommended!]

Reactions: KXKH and F.I.S.H.Y
    Upvote 0

KXKH

Feb 28, 2018
    NorCal
    Name
    Boat
    19' Hobie
    a torque has better bearings, a machined and anodized aluminum frame and side plates. Even though the fathom might be able to handle a bit more drag maintaining freespool, the frame will be at it's limits being cast. These reels don't need to be Blueprinted. Penn gave them proper specs to fish what they where made to fish, out of the box. Blueprinting is for people who want more, but it's not necessary.
    Blue printed Fathom...will be nicer than a factory Torque. Will have better drag and better freespool. Speaking from experience of owning two. You can drop in your own bearings that is nicer than the factory bearings in the Torque.
    Cast frame is to cut the cost down. I've yet seen a Fathom frame gave out because it was casted. We're not pulling triple digits drag here.
    Is blue printing necessary? No. Is it worth it? On the Fathom...yes.

Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Blue printed Fathom...will be nicer than a factory Torque. Will have better drag and better freespool. Speaking from experience of owning two. You can drop in your own bearings that is nicer than the factory bearings in the Torque.
    Cast frame is to cut the cost down. I've yet seen a Fathom frame gave out because it was casted. We're not pulling triple digits drag here.
    Is blue printing necessary? No. Is it worth it? On the Fathom...yes.
    True. Now that I'm thinking about it, I wish Penn would give the torque this added freespool and drag capability cal gives them since they cost twice as much as the fathom. Applying cals grease on the drag and tsi 321 on the bearings to give it all that performance out of the box.

Reactions: KXKH
    Upvote 0

JK47

May 19, 2019
    HB
    Name
    Alek
    Boat
    SS Minnow
    a torque has better bearings, a machined and anodized aluminum frame and side plates. Even though the fathom might be able to handle a bit more drag maintaining freespool, the frame will be at it's limits being cast. These reels don't need to be Blueprinted. Penn gave them proper specs to fish what they where made to fish, out of the box. Blueprinting is for people who want more, but it's not necessary.
    Torque LD and SD share the same bearing part #'s as their Fathom counterparts (at least in the 12 and 15 size I checked), check the schematics part listing...

Intrepid Fan

No Cal Lou
    Oct 1, 2009
    Green Valley, Az
    Name
    Lou Salatich
    Boat
    none
    I had my Fathum 40's blue printed by Cal. The drag range is incredibly smooth with no quick ramp up. I use these reels to fish 40# top shots with 65# solid braid when it is a long soak or when bigger fish that will not bite on heavier line.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.