stp

Fish Hooker
  • Oct 12, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Best first mate on your boat
    Brand new, 1 minute old. Pushed clicker and it was “very firm” then it moved and after that it went “limp”. Now the button just moves back and forth without any resistance. Took side plate off, looks like clicker tab came out of copper spring. Copper spring is “split” and half of it came off the tab it appears it is supposed to be sitting. I should just return it, but figured I would check if this is an easy fix or should I send it back.

B7526409-916F-4B16-ABA2-A34A8F70EF79.jpeg

Upvote 0

jmch75

Almost A Member
    Apr 28, 2017
    San Diego
    Name
    Joe Curly
    Boat
    None
    :(

Sad to see. If it's so new, can you just swap it at the retailer you purchased it from? That may be the quickest/fastest way to get you going.

Otherwise, you may want to call Penn to get an estimate for lead times. Last I checked (about 2 months ago), they quoted about 8 weeks. Things may have gotten better, but you could check to see if it works for you depending upon your timelines.

Reactions: stp
    Upvote 0

Kos

The Tug Is My Drug
  • Aug 16, 2018
    San Diego
    Name
    Anthony
    Boat
    My wife's boat (yup!)
    I would definitely take it back, but an option while your trying to get it figured out is throw this thread on the World of PENN under the Fishing Gear Forum. Steve Carson is the Penn rep and is usually pretty knowledgeable and you'll have a bunch of guys that might know the problem and be able to provide a quick fix right away for you.

Upvote 0

TOTW

Time On The Water
    Dec 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Chris L
    Boat
    Leo's
    That's a bummer. It's not a hard fix--not much harder than taking off the side plate, really. It looks like the ring is bent out of shape a bit. If you can't get it back to true, and need to replace it, I've found Mystic Parts to have just about every Penn part imaginable, and shipping typically takes less than a week to the west coast from New Jersey.

Reactions: Phil and stp
    Upvote 0

F.I.S.H.Y

Fishermen.
  • Sep 27, 2019
    San Diego CA
    Name
    Erick
    Boat
    None
    Brand new, 1 minute old. Pushed clicker and it was “very firm” then it moved and after that it went “limp”. Now the button just moves back and forth without any resistance. Took side plate off, looks like clicker tab came out of copper spring. Copper spring is “split” and half of it came off the tab it appears it is supposed to be sitting. I should just return it, but figured I would check if this is an easy fix or should I send it back.

View attachment 1290087
    even the arms out with your hand and then just put it back in between.

Upvote 0

swami 805

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Mar 9, 2016
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    sunk it
    Pop the C clip off that dog, bend the two ends of the spring even and put the dog and C clip back on. Might have to bend that spring a few times to get it right but should be pretty easy

Reactions: stp and plj46
    Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    It's supposed to be split.It can be adjusted.

Upvote 0

stp

Fish Hooker
  • Oct 12, 2003
    San Diego
    Name
    Shawn
    Boat
    Best first mate on your boat
    Yeah, the fix is not that big of a deal after all. I did like some of you said, bend it back and put the clicker dog back in between them. It could use some fine tuning still but it works and was not that big of a deal. Sending it back would have been a hassle. I did not buy local as these (and a lot of things) are difficult to find these days.
    thanks for the insight guys!

Reactions: Mtnfshr
    Upvote 0

Latest posts