spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Left tuesday night 1.5 day came back this am.
20 guys paid extra for more squid at nachos ($8 per) backside of SCI west end. Grey light no takers moved setup another drift first fish was a 50lb i brought in on 30 fluoro blackwater 30 izor xxx mono 65lb izor spectra trini 20 gold/phenix 760h kicked my butt (hey first tuna of the season for me after 4 other tries). Next fish is an 80plus pounder jackpot by Japeen. We set a few drifts most fish caught before noon. Not much of afternoon bite. Dusk we had only 2 biters one on squid and 1 on flatfall 200g glow. The secret on this trip is 3/4oz to 1oz glow in the dark egg sliding sinker (mentioned by Tino on freedom late tuesday thanks Tino!) i scrambled to mahi tackle and grabed 18 of them gave away 13 to other people on boat. All my fish were on this sinker (bit 5x farmed 1(25lb) pulled in 2 and handed off 2) and the other 11 most were on this sinker. Hook size didnt matter much i hooked 3 on 2/0 ringed owner j-hook. The other 2 on #2 mutu circle and 4/0 mutu light circle both ringed. 30Lb fluoro got bit more. Plunker bite and long long soaks. One poor guy fought a fish for about 2hrs turn out to be a 100+ lb mola mola which was released. Saw freedom amd pac queen similar areas/drift. Weather was pretty decent 4-5 ft swells but long periods. Wind wasnt bad. I think the big yft were on the front side. Hope this helps 30lb fluoro 3/4oz glow egg sinker 2/0 circle/j hook long soak whatch out for tangles and oh yeah Pray. This trip was a miracle for me too many bad trips plus toronado barely had enough people by 5pm tuesday oh and my friend just told me to go tuesday night weird but thats faith. Thank you God! Billy at mahi tackle had the sinkers but was kind enuf to stay 5min past closing for me to buy them. Thanks to capt ray johnny chris shawn jojo etc for a great trip great anglers on this trip really cool and friendly guys most were experienced no rental rods. Shout out to Jenaeee she was a beast 55lb bft and 1hr fight she killed it. Mitch Jim and Mickey appreciate the company definitely want to fish with you guys and toronado again. Oh and JJ thanks for wrapping my line on my 4th fish set my hook and pulled the fish 1/2 way in 4 me hahaha i thought i was wrapped around him!

20161019_205903.jpg 20161019_205956.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

5-20

Poseidon Group's Back Up Trident Thrower
Jan 20, 2011
San Diego
Name
5-20
Boat
L2 Fish
Nice report, cool of you to give those sinkers away.

All of the morning bites were on squid with a 2/0 hook?

Wasn't sure if that was what you were saying? Probably fishing Saturday and this info will really help.

Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
3 of the fish i hooked on 2/0 J hooks i decked 1 in and handed 2 off. 2/0 ringed owner live bait J hooks all 3 were landed.

Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Sorry didnt read ur question i wasnt paying attention to the hooks used on other peoples fish i know most were caught on 30lb a couple on 40lb i was lucky enought to hook and land one on 40lb on a talica 12 2 speed on a 700xh phenix. Just cranked that baby in.

Reactions: 5-20
Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
oh all squid fishes. Couple people tried the dines no luck. At dusk we saw a huge school of squid come thru stuck with the boat for 30min. Thats why the big bft still hanging around back there.

Upvote 0

watersdeep

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jan 19, 2016
LB
Name
Jed Venture
Boat
the twisted ducker
Top notch report dude, good on you.

POKE UP!

Upvote 0

alex morataya

I Should Upgrade My Account
Aug 14, 2007
Burbank
Name
Alex
Boat
none
great report and excellent Intel!
Kudos to you for handing out the sinkers to the other guys and for handing off some fish. that fishing gods will continuously reward you for that.

thanks for sharing brotha!

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Congrats and great report!!!!!!!!!! Hear they are getting squid at sbi but a little at west end of cat. My buddies got to the island at Midnite Tuesday two of them had their four bft limits by 5:30!!! Then played with smaller yft. Back to Dana by 10:30 am.

Reactions: rick rouland
Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
14 bft total and a couple white fish. Mahi tackle is in huntington beach sorry i heard billy sold out on the 3/4 and 1oz size. Check other tackle stores.

Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Why did you/ all the passengers need to pay for extra squid. The sport boats are already paying a flat % fee for their bait. Is this just another way for the sport boats to add to the ticket price, that you already paid for bait????? Just a question.. What's the next fee they can line their pocket books with. Pillows and Blankets for your bunk??????????????????

Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
    Sep 12, 2010
    garden grove, ca
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Maria
    Well if you look at the report from the freedom that day and pacific queen they probably didnt get as much squid as we did. Yes we had a full tank of dines which were pretty much worthless for bft fishing tjat day and Ray already had some squid in the other tank and at 20 guys, dines were all we deserve not a whole tank of squid too. Nobody on the boat had any problem forking out $8 some of them pitched in more than their share me included. Not everyone got bit but nobody complained at the end about having to pay extra for squid it was the best chance to catch these beast. Oh and the trip was discounted already so you cant expect Ray to lose that much more money. Some of us got our personal best at the cost of a couple happy meals at McD's extra... Seems worth it to me.

Upvote 0