Almost A Member
  • Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    Hi everyone

So on Thurs. night I hopped on the Toronado. The day before they had 67 yellowtails for 27 anglers. I almost jumped on that trip due to a few cancellations. I decide not to because I would have had to race ,rush down there to get on the boat. Had I known they would have been leaving a little late I would have.
    Left LA at 6:30 because the parking lot was still closed , you have to park at the overflow . Got there around 7:45 got the token after unloading the stuff and parked the car. We waited around til about 9:15. The new owner came up gave us the safety/ Covid19 speech and let us load up about 15 mins. later. Do the check in, sign up thing and we were off. Stop at Nacho's for some so so 4"-5" inch Sardines and we're on our way . Conditions going out were nice and it was great to be out.

We arrive at San Clemente around 5:45 and start metering around. Capt. gets on the loudspeaker and tells us we' re waiting for some current. That happens about an hour or so later. 90% of the people are flylining and a few are throwing jigs with no love on either for 15 mins. or so. The deckies are chumming and we start to get a few boils around the boat. They we re nothing spectacular just a few boils here and there and that would be the way it went for the whole trip. 1 guy gets picked up and then another 1 does also,and that would be the tempo of the bite for the next 3+ hours. I think we had 3 on at once at the most. I get bit 3 time on this stop and the key was light line ( 20 ) and finding a bait that swam and a long soak or getting a hot bait ( few and very far in between ) and getting bit instantly. That's how I got my 1 yellow . I found a hot bait and was on in a minute and had I not backlashed I think I would have pulled the hook like I did on the rest of the fish. I got that 1 in about 5 to 7 minutes. I never left the corner it was a straight up and down fight and realitively easy fight for a yellowtail I went 1 for 5 for the day. You had to let them swallow the bait and give a 3-5 second count. They weren t grabbing and running fast with the bait. It was almost like a Halibut bite. they would pick it up and keep swimming. I was fishing a light circle hook and still pulling the hook ...weird. I got my fish in on a Lexa 300 and 20lb. In any case Hot stick was a guy using a Curado 300 and a light/ medium Terez rod with 20lb. He ended up with 3. We ended up with 16 yellows for that stop and the day before the current died .

The Capt. was a guy with the Moniker of the Cod Father I think his name was Mike he's a good Captain. Ray was busy. After the current died we went up the island to do a few drifts in 200ft. or so of water to fill up the bags. We started our drift and soon Boccacios and Reds sprinkled in with Whitefish, Starry's and Chucks started coming aboard. We made 5 or 6 Loong drifts through the spot. I opted to use the sniper before switching to swimbaits. I ended up getting a lot of Boccacios ( a.k.a. Salmon Grouper) on the sniper, got tired of it and switched up to a swimbait with a heavy leadhead. While using the leadhead I ended up with a huge Johny bass,a med sized Chucklehead , a Red and ( drum roll please ) a COWCOD on the swimbait. Now believe it or not this was the highlight of my trip. I mean getting a 15 or so pound yellowtail was great ( 2nd smallest on the boat )and I was Haaaaappy. Maybe it was because I ve never seen 1 before much less caught 1. I mean in 30 years of fishing the boats I ve seen a few pics and heard lots and lots of stories from my parents and others. To actually see 1 and catch 1 was great. I was so stokked . The thing actually kicked my ass a little bit because I was using a Lexa in 200+feet of water with a paddle handle and 6 ounce leadhead and tail which equaled a lot of work. My arms are still a little sore. In any case I weighed it really quick ( 9lbs) and then the crew quickly got it on the descender where it was successfully released. After that we decided to go back to the Yellowtail spot and see if we could find any current. However the conditions had changed. We now had a breeze a few active sealions and a few more boats. we gave it about an hour and a half and lost 1 to the dog . I get picked up twice but the boat was swinging all over the place with the breeze. After that we left for a nice crossing back home .

Conditions: Heavy overcast and no wind in the morning . Breezy with the sun peeking out in the afternoon. water was 62* in the morning fished tight and parallel to the island in 90 feet.
    The Thunderbird was there but ended up with only 6 , the next day ray ended up with 1 and the Thunderbird ended up with 16..... that 's fishing.
    I enjoyed the boat, the crew was good and the rest of the anglers we re great to be a round it was a nice trip and good to get out .

Sorry for the long winded report..I hope you enjoy it ……. P.S. the majority of the yellows where averaging around 22lbs.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully you get to go out on a trips of your own soon.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    Thanks for the report. I’m always happy to catch yellowtail. When you’re not getting a hook up in that many bites you might try ditching the small circle hooks and going to a j hook. That opening on circles may just be too small. J hooks are fine for yellowtail.

Reactions: onehottip
    Upvote 0

kichigai1

Almost A Member
  • Sep 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    none
    Thank you everyone for you kind replies
    I went to Pierpoint today. the regular parking lot opened up ….so it s easier to load and unload. Still have to use the overflow for the overnight though. There was a hell of a breeze at the harbor,but Ray still got 16 today.

I forget to add we were on the front side and the water was a nice offshore blue

Ps does anyone know how i can add pics from my phone to this report?
    thank you in advance

Last edited:
    Upvote 0