Toronado fishing Tanner Tuesday

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by seavandal, Nov 23, 2016.

1. seavandal

seavandal Newbie

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    18' gregor center console
    Just came back from a 1.5 day on the Toronado at the Tanner bank. Awesome trip catching mostly 100lb class bluefin. 20 fish for the boat. Got a PB at just over 100. The crew of the Toronado worked tirelessly into the night helping out where ever there was an issue. We all pitched in $10 to buy squid at the isthmus from a squid boat (Ultra) since there was no squid on the boat. Always awesome to check out floating squid under the lights. We also loaded up squid for the Oceanside 95 since they had no squid either. Met them out at the Tanner and filled up a big floating net full of squid and passed it over to them. There were only 6 total boats out there probably due to the weather forecast. The weather was absolutely perfect for most of the morning and the afternoon. Suckers! You should have gone. Wind came up at 4 and stayed at 10 knots with a little chop for the rest of the day. The day ended at 12:45am! Captain stayed extra innings for another 10 big bluefin late into the night. The other boats (Oside95, Tribute, Fortune, commercial guy on the Pride, and a little 24" private boater -massive cojones being out there in such a small boat) stayed out til late as well. I heard that the Tribute got limits. 50 and 60 floro top shot, 1-3oz glow slider weights and glow flatfall were the ticket. I was fishing a Shimano TN30 with 65 spectra with 50 floro. Almost got spooled at one time. My first fish did spool me. I tightened down the drag on that one and broke him off at the hook at about 10 wraps left on the reel. Bigger line capacity is much needed. These fish are brutal! It took me around 45 minutes to land mine. I haven't fished this grade of fish ever. Beasts! The younger bucks who knew how to muscle these fish kicked Bluefin butt in 10 to 25 minutes. I'm old school when it comes to fishing. Bringing 2 of my Senator 6/0 reels loaded with 60 looked way out of place next to all this new technology. Sure glad I had the TN30. 112216_Chris and 100-pound Bluefin_TannerBank_03B_Email.jpg The new stuff these days makes me think of comparing vinyl records to digital Bluetooth. Time to upgrade to some new stuff. Great experience for me out there to see this type of fishing. Go get 'em!

2. Erawk

Erawk Get bent!

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    21' Sea Ray
    Right on thanks for the info brother

3. 909MARIO

909MARIO Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Mario
    Boat:
    CABO 226 (Yamaha F250)
    Great report

4. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    NICE FISH! LOL (eating yellowfin dip waiting for Turkey tomorrow)

5. muletrain

muletrain Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    mark
    Boat:
    Carolina skiff for the bay / Hobie Mirage
    Nice picture

Congrats

Zika likes this.
  6. robaire

robaire Angler

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    n/a
    Good job getting out there Chris.
    Robert

7. watersdeep

watersdeep I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jed Venture
    Boat:
    the twisted ducker
    Great report Chris, congrats on that bomb.

Now go blow some minds with a big bowl of hawaiian style POKE for this great holiday.
    do not forget the toasted macadamia nuts. TRUST ME.

8. SSUfish

SSUfish Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    n/a
    Maybe help me understand about paying for squid. Doesn't your ticket include bait? So many other trips this year have said they "have squid on the boat" so I am rather surprised you had to ante up more after the fact. Did the other boat float some cash back to you? :lol: Or maybe I'm assuming and every boat has charged for squid from LA area all year. That reminds me of a time when the Sea Adventure 80 demanded $20 from everyone for a fuel surcharge to the Coronado Islands. Nickle and Diming.

9. dorado50

dorado50 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    DAVID
    Boat:
    BERTRAM / EDGEWATER
    a nickel and a dime for a 100# Bluefin.....hell yes!

artaka1 likes this.
  10. Fishmeluck

Fishmeluck Fishing = Self-Medication

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    Boat free, since July 2014.
    Great report, and x2 re the gear. I was out there on Nov. 12, and guys who hooked up on too-light gear and single speed reels had a real grind ahead of them.

11. TheGunslinger

TheGunslinger gary

Name:
    Gary Nordyke
    Boat:
    48 Pacemaker Gunslinger
    Great report thanks

12. artaka1

artaka1 Newbie

Name:
    mikey
    Boat:
    n/a
    Great report, awesome photo. Really captured the moment with the composition. Fish, angler and background for nice thirds I fished the O -95 last Friday with same patterns as the night bite went full bendo. Got two of them 100# class fish, one on my new talica 20 with 100#spectra to 60 floro and my second fish was on my tranx PG 4:2-1 gearing. I thought the tranx was going to blow up but boated that fish in 30 minutes or so.

13. jeremyv75

jeremyv75 Member

Simple... Supply and demand.. You know you brought extra cash anyways

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JFFISHING likes this.
  14. wildbunch

wildbunch MOFO

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    23' "Hardcore"
    100+lb tanker BFT on a fuckin bass reel..You da MAN my bro MOFO!!!!!

artaka1 likes this.
  15. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Congrats on a nice one!

16. seavandal

seavandal Newbie

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    Thanks for the responses you guys. That picture was taken right after I caught it. I was so tired that I couldn't lift the fish up for a proper photo! Damn I'm getting old. Gotta start doing pull ups! Here I am during the battle. Good times!
    Fighting a 100 lb Bluefin (2).jpg

Larmo and Haly0 like this.
  17. stangclassic66

stangclassic66 USCG Master

Name:
    Capt. Erik
    Boat:
    25' Parker
    Why didn't you just fish the senators?? They have the capacity and decent drag too. I'm all about new technology but i'm not EVER going to knock the correct tools even if they are old tech.

jeremyv75 likes this.
  18. seavandal

seavandal Newbie

Name:
    chris
    Boat:
    I too am into old tech. I've fished exclusively old tech my whole life. I was recently gifted a Trinidad 15a and bought the Trinidad TN30 used from a friend. I used the TN30 on the tuna trip as well as the Senators, an International 30, and a Shimano LRS 2 speed trolling reel loaded with 80. The Senators, as well as the others, were bulky and heavy to use compared to the tiny TN30. The TN30 was lighter and has extremely smooth drags. The TN30 really did feel like I was fishing with a bass reel as "wildbunch" put it. It's like having the pulling power of a 6/0 Senator but compacted down to a Squidder. Both are single speed reels but the small size helped me out. I checked out all the reels on the boat that were racked up on the boat. 95% were small new tech reels. I watched the people using them (especially the younger teens/twenties guys) kick the shit out of those big bluefin in short time. They pulled so hard on those fish! And they were agro in their style of fishing like they had to get the fish in as soon as possible. Two speeds helped their style a lot. My style is slower and gentler. I guess I enjoy the battle while carefully pulling in my prey. I'm sure if I was 20 something these days, I would have tried to rip the lips off these fish with a total kick ass fast mentality. Next time I go out to fish these great bluefin, if I ever get a chance in the future, I'll be sure to get a reel that has 2 speed, more line capacity, and get some coaching from the deckhands to try out the new methods of fishing smaller reels. Until then, I'll still keep using the 6/0, and my other old school stuff. They still work. The last great fish I caught was a 67lb Wahoo off the rigs near Long beach two years back on the International 30. Lots of 30lb mono line capacity. Glad I used that reel rather than the TN30. I would have been spooled in no time!

jeremyv75 and JFFISHING like this.