Shimano Torium drag issues (can anyone help?)

Fishingfiends

Aug 17, 2014
Placentia, CA
Name
Blake Hurlburt
Boat
14' Aluminum Boat
I posted this before and thought I had resolved my issue but it appears that it's still acting up. My Torium does not seem to be able to produce the 20 pounds of drag it's rated for (it barely makes it to 8) and i also have to tighten the star drag almost all the way down to start feeling pressure. I received the reel from a trade through the classifieds and it has had this issue since I got it. The guy who gave it to me installed the carbon fiber drags himself. If anyone could give me some opinions on what could be wrong or could come take a look I'd really appreciate it.

*this is the old model of Torium

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
get it serviced at a tackle shop that knows what their doing, and you should be in tip top shape.... Probably old drags, or just reinstalled something incorrectly

Upvote 0

johndtuttle

Angler/Client
Mar 20, 2008
Carmel, CA
Name
john
Boat
not crazy enough yet
Its probably a very simple fix: There are two washers under the Star that should be in a () orientation. If they are put back like )) (very easy to do) you will have this problem. Just take off the handle, then the Star and take a look. 5 minute job. :)

Sometimes, the stack is too thin and the Star bottoms against the reel before it can make full drag. Also easy to trouble shoot. Take a look and take some pictures and we (or Dan) can help.

Reactions: Whalebreath
Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
Sep 13, 2007
Irvine, CA
Name
Dan
Boat
N/A
Are you using braided line on the reel? If so make sure it isn't slipping on the spool.

I have seen a lot of variance in the aftermarket drag washers. Some are too thin resulting in a reduction in the height of the drag stack. This will cause a reduction in the drag pressure. The reel could also be assembled incorrectly. It's hard to say without opening the reel to see what is going on.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I posted this before and thought I had resolved my issue but it appears that it's still acting up. My Torium does not seem to be able to produce the 20 pounds of drag it's rated for (it barely makes it to 8) and i also have to tighten the star drag almost all the way down to start feeling pressure. I received the reel from a trade through the classifieds and it has had this issue since I got it. The guy who gave it to me installed the carbon fiber drags himself. If anyone could give me some opinions on what could be wrong or could come take a look I'd really appreciate it.

*this is the old model of Torium

what I would do I take it down to Tackle days tomorrow, and make a day of it , and spend $50
and Shimano will check it out , while you go to a few Seminar's, and eat lunch,check
out all what the Vendors have to offer, and what on Sale at Fisherman's landing Tackle
and the Friends of Rollo Raffle, then when all said and done , will off
had a great day, and some new Tackle, and a reel to use it.

Upvote 0

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
Aug 17, 2006
TORRANCE
Name
DAVE
Boat
SOLD IT
Blake, If you don't find anyone to look at it for you send me a P.M. I'll be happy to look it over for you, no-charge unless it needs parts.

Upvote 0

Fishingfiends

Aug 17, 2014
Placentia, CA
Name
Blake Hurlburt
Boat
14' Aluminum Boat
I took it apart one last time to try to fix it myself and noticed the washer in the drag stack with ears was facing up, not down like in the schematic. When I flipped it over it made a huge difference and now my reel is producing much more drag, it definitely feels like it's putting out around 20#'s like it's supposed to. Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm glad I've got it working now

Reactions: Tackleho619
Upvote 0

TEAMFISH

JUST ADD WATER
Aug 17, 2006
TORRANCE
Name
DAVE
Boat
SOLD IT
Sometimes it's the little things...let me know if you ever need help

Upvote 0