bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    From your experience, how well is the reel supposed to free spool? I just received one from an online retailer and it only spins for a few seconds before stopping. I've tried adjusting the spool tension knob but it didn't have a discernible effect on the free spool. Thoughts? I haven't contacted the retailer yet because I wanted to know if there is a simple fix or that is simply how they are. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Jason

Upvote 0

Baller

Jig Chucker
    Nov 16, 2010
    La Mesa
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    American Angler
    Normally most reels will spin for a lot longer once they get loaded with line. Need the weight of the full spool to keep it spinning. Also, it may spin better on its side. Some do and some don't. I doubt there is anything wrong with the reel.

Upvote 0

Geoduck

Oct 10, 2015
    California
    Name
    Gene
    Boat
    None
    I owned two 20 HG (sold one), I think that's normal. I also owned Avets and those things spin forever. Try casting it, the 20 HG casts like a dream, and it seems to cast even better now that I have used it for a while.

Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
    Oceanside Ca.
    Name
    Mike Morris
    Boat
    prowler kayak
    Like bill said add line that will help freespool could be storage has dried the bearings some I have them never been a problem to much grease will slow them down also

Upvote 0

Bantam1

Shimano Rep
    Sep 13, 2007
    Irvine, CA
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    N/A
    Heavy spools spin longer. Light spools spin for less time. The light spool will cast much better.

Freespool doesn't equal casting performance.

Reactions: bob1825
    Upvote 0

fxbobby

Sep 21, 2005
    SANTEE
    Name
    BOB
    Boat
    SOLD!!!!!!
    I take all my reels when new, remove the spool, take the spool bearings out, clean out any grease or oil and lubricate them with Quantum Hot Sauce oil and get at least 90 seconds of freespool . Many reels come from the factory with grease on the spool bearings and even the spool shaft which cuts down freespool. I just did this to a Lexa 400HD and it made a HUGE difference. It had almost no free poll out of the box.

Upvote 0

bob1825

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 11, 2007
    San Fernando Valley
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Anyone the fits my schedule
    I take all my reels when new, remove the spool, take the spool bearings out, clean out any grease or oil and lubricate them with Quantum Hot Sauce oil and get at least 90 seconds of freespool . Many reels come from the factory with grease on the spool bearings and even the spool shaft which cuts down freespool. I just did this to a Lexa 400HD and it made a HUGE difference. It had almost no free poll out of the box.

Thanks Bob, I was thinking that the reel could be over greased. Do your changes effect your reel maintenance schedule?

Upvote 0

fxbobby

Sep 21, 2005
    SANTEE
    Name
    BOB
    Boat
    SOLD!!!!!!
    No it doesn't, I like to tear down the reels and do the spool bearings, grease all threaded screws and inside the frame and side plates to lessen water intrusion. I also put Quantum Hot Sauce on the main gear and pinion, and on my level winds,, the worm gear, My Lexa 400HD was noisy and no freespool from the factory . The stainless gears are way noisier than my older original Lexa 400 brass gears. Greasing the gear and pinion really quieted it down.

Upvote 0