Topshot - Mono vs. Fluoro

ebpip

Mar 26, 2021
PNW
Name
Erik
Boat
Weldcraft
I see no reason for flouro as a top shot for salmon personally.

I also just don't buy into the concept that flouro being less visible is any sort of factor in our salmon fishing. Salmon ignore downrigger clips, balls, swivels, helmets, one or two 3 or 4/0 hooks, and other various hardware but suddenly spot the slightly more noticeable mono and THATS why they won't bite? Nah, never convince me that's the case in our waters.
Ultimately, fish what you have the most confidence in. But for me, I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I mostly agree but will say that most of the other things you mention tend to be quite a bit further away from the bait/lure than the leader.

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Question is what’s wrong with all mono? That stretch is useful for shock absorption and keeping the fish on.

running 300 yards of braid and 50ft of mono makes no sense to me. What is the thought process here?

the only thing I’ve found braid good for is getting deep.

for tuna live bait I have reels with braid and reels with mono. Neither seems to have a definitive advantage here. I run mono or flouro leader.

Reactions: Siv

ebpip

Mar 26, 2021
PNW
Name
Erik
Boat
Weldcraft
Question is what’s wrong with all mono? That stretch is useful for shock absorption and keeping the fish on.

running 300 yards of braid and 50ft of mono makes no sense to me. What is the thought process here?

for tuna live bait I have reels with braid and reels with mono. Neither seems to have a definitive advantage here. I run mono or flouro leader.
Nothing wrong with all mono, I'm not a line snob. My preference over time has become braid and I like it for a number of reasons. I only run about 30 ft of top shot. I like that I can easily swap top shots out and target any number of fisheries/species with appropriate line. I can use the same reel to troll chinook, coho, pink, sockeye, even trout, and also throw a few feet of heavy mono on for jigging lingcod and other rock fish, which I find braid superior for, too. I do find that there is less line blow back when trolling deeper, too. I've got a season of all braid under my belt and did find the hooksets to be sharper and quicker, too.

Reactions: FishPimpII

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
255 BW Conquest “Double Header”

Agree with what edpip said. Braid to 50 or so feet of mono for salmon gives less blowback and crisp solid hooksets especially when fishing deep. But the 50 of so feet of mono gives just enough stretch that a big king thrashing 20 feet from boat has just a little less chance to shake or break line.
Also braid to 10 feet or so of mono just lighter than braid (say 50 braid to 40 mono) gives good abrasion, need lighter jigs to get down, and rock solid hooksets for lings with the bonus that if you really get hung the line will usually break at jig and at worst where mono meets braid.

Cwillis

Sometimes you're top boat...sometimes you're not.
  • Jul 15, 2009
    Woodinville, WA
    Name
    Casey
    Boat
    23 Pacific
    @FishPimpII @SalmonSnatcher

+1 more for mono top shot. Not floro.

fishys 2.jpg

fishys 1.jpg

Reactions: FishPimpII

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Feb 21, 2011
    Redmond/WA/USA
    Name
    Stephen
    Boat
    'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore

Most of the benefits have been covered already. Braid lasts forever(or at least much longer than mono), thinner diameter making for less blow back trolling and more line on the reel, and more responsive to hooksets(this can be a disadvantage for the more aggressive hook setters). You need the mono topshot for trolling to keep it from getting twisted up from the flasher and the clip does a better job holding mono. I like to use 20 ft of topshot so everyone knows where to clip the quick release.

Last edited:

TooManyHobbies

The guy that makes the glass stuff
    May 10, 2010
    White trashville
    Name
    Garrett
    Boat
    21' SeaRay Laguna CC "Sea 'Scape"
    I don’t use flouro at all. Pain to tie, and I don’t see the value for the added expense.