EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Hey Guys - Time to reload the reels. I usually load about 40-50' of mono on top of the braid. I like the stretch (shock absorber), durability, and that it stays in the clip better. I'm wondering if Fluoro has the same characteristics as mono as far as what I just listed? If it does, it's obviously less visible, so I'll just load that instead. Any hard facts would be appreciated. Stay safe.....

Upvote 0
Nov 29, 2010
Marysville Washington usa
Name
J.R.
Boat
19 Glasply
Downrigger rods I run 65lb braid on my reels with a 40ft top shot of 30lb Maxima Ultragreen, I have yet to have a failure with the top shot breaking or the joining "John Collins knot" failing. I prefer to have the stretch in the mono while the fish is next to the boat and it works for me. I have yet to try Flouro for a top shot and that is only because Maxima is cheap and it works.

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
I don't think there are significant advantages in salmon trolling with Flouro to the flasher. Great for tuna where vis and abrasion resistance is a big deal. There are a couple disadvantages I can think of for your application. You gotta be good on your knots mono is much more forgiving, because it is stiffer it does not like to stay wound on your reel and is more prone to birdsnest and it costs more. I prefer 30-40lb mono for salmon trolling topshot, if it gets damaged it is cheap to replace.

chilidip

• Jul 26, 2006
    North OC
    Name
    David
    Boat
    17' Logic CC
    I don't think there are significant advantages in salmon trolling with Flouro to the flasher. Great for tuna where vis and abrasion resistance is a big deal. There are a couple disadvantages I can think of for your application. You gotta be good on your knots mono is much more forgiving, because it is stiffer it does not like to stay wound on your reel and is more prone to birdsnest and it costs more. I prefer 30-40lb mono for salmon trolling topshot, if it gets damaged it is cheap to replace.

X2. I use Floro top shots only when tuna fishing or making rockfish leaders (less twist and fouled line when pulling fish from the deep). Otherwise use mono for better casting and flexibility.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
    Aug 11, 2019
    PNW
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
    I switched to fluoro on all my rods last year. But I only run about 10 ft of top shot. Even on my downrigger rods. I use the FG knot and I have been super happy with the results.

I personally like the fluoro better. I like the stiffness of it. I can see how it wouldn't be that fun to run 20-30 yards because of the birds nest problem mentioned above but I run really short top shots so that's not a problem I have. It's just not as easy to bite so I always have to use a knife or line cutters now. I think the shock absorbing properties would be an issue if you ran really stuff rods. Unless you are running serious meat sticks I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Just what I think

Reactions: liltrouble

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Why? Do you have problems catching salmon with Mono? Maybe you need to come clean. Lol. It’s okay. You’re among friends.....
    Haha...Nope, very happy with it as topshot. However, in these days and times, ANY edge you can get, I'll try. If Mono & Fluoro were equal as far as the criteria I listed, I would go with Fluoro, as it is less visible. Only used for DR applications. We spend thousands on everything else, why go cheap on one of the most important last links the salmon will see? If your not using Fluoro leader, you're losing fish, Period. I was just thinking why not extend it a bit of all were equal........

Reactions: pacificscout

fcsd_christian

RIP-Here Lies: Fish, E.
  • Apr 1, 2019
    San Diego
    Name
    Christian
    Boat
    14ft Valco
    Stick with mono. its way cheaper and works just as well 99% of the time. I personally don't think the flouro offers significant advantages unless youre fishing for big bluefin, then I'd definitely want the extra abrasion resistance. Ive never noticed a difference in what they'll bite. Not saying it doesnt happen, but it hasnt happened to me yet, so I keep fishing mono.

FishPimpII

Repowering the boat..
    Jul 27, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Name
    Jeff Nelson
    Boat
    255 BW Conquest “Double Header”
    Fluoro = Stiffer. Little stretch. More abrasion resistant. Less supple.
    For tuna topshot I agree, for salmon I disagree. For that use the stretch of maxima or pline cxx for a topshot might be what just saves that last head shake from throwing the barbless hook or breaking the leader.

ebpip

Mar 26, 2021
    PNW
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Weldcraft
    Hey Guys - Time to reload the reels. I usually load about 40-50' of mono on top of the braid. I like the stretch (shock absorber), durability, and that it stays in the clip better. I'm wondering if Fluoro has the same characteristics as mono as far as what I just listed? If it does, it's obviously less visible, so I'll just load that instead. Any hard facts would be appreciated. Stay safe.....
    I run 50 lb J braid then top shot with 20-30lb ultragreen. For leaders I do use flouro, but that’s usually only 24-60”. I don’t run flouro as a top shot because I don’t think there’s any advantage over mono and it’s expensive. I like a flouro leader for abrasion resistance, invisibility , and movement on hoochies.

Reactions: FishPimpII

Siv

I Should Upgrade My Account
    May 8, 2008
    Normandy Park Wa
    Name
    Dave
    Boat
    19' SeaSport
    Our waters here in the sound are so low vis that the major advantage of flouro is of little value. Stick with the mono . That said I sometimes splurge and tie mooching leaders with flouro. Not sure I get any advantage but I feel better 🤙🤙

Swede

Yachtless
  • May 2, 2008
    Pacific Northwest
    Name
    Swede
    Boat
    Kristen Lee
    View attachment 1267160
    Not loosing fish with mono.

08418C3E-6956-4051-9C21-1DF023469434.jpeg

Wild Bill

Not Blackmouthing
    Aug 4, 2010
    Camano Island
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    Otter Craft
    The only application I have for salmon and fluoro is between flasher and anchovy, flasher hootchie and dodger/hootchie when sockeye fishing in lakes.

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    Fluro, despite popular belief, stretches, just doesn’t rebound the same as mono. So when it stretches, that’s that, it’s pretty much there. Mono rebounds so it’s more forgiving.
    I really like the soft steel mono myself as it’s got great abrasion resistance and all the rest of the great aspects of mono. Having said that, I’ve purchased some fluro stretch, also from soft steel to try this season.
    Can’t wait to get home really to give it a shot.

bducky

• Jul 31, 2017
    elma
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    20 ft duckworth
    I like mono for topshots, but def. run flouro on leaders, both salt and freshwater. I have clips that will hold braid for freshwater use, but mono works better in salt water clips. Our freshwater rods are pretty limber (mostly kokanee rods) so mono stretch is not needed so much, although we manage to beat up some pretty big fish on them.

Reactions: pacificscout

G-Spot

Captain
  • Mar 14, 2008
    Salem/OR/USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
    Personally a topshot is not flouro.... the topshot acts as a buffer giving shone shock resistance which is the stretch you desire... Flouro is a leader to me not a topshot...

A leader of flouro when fishing a style that needs to be more stealth would definitely be a go to...

For Salmon I ran a mono (ultra green) top shot, for downrigger rod, so I had something larger diameter to clip in...... Flasher, then flouro to the hook(s)....

RazorJack

Almost A Member
    May 20, 2013
    Hansville, WA
    Name
    Nick
    Boat
    19' Arima SR
    I see no reason for flouro as a top shot for salmon personally.

I also just don't buy into the concept that flouro being less visible is any sort of factor in our salmon fishing. Salmon ignore downrigger clips, balls, swivels, helmets, one or two 3 or 4/0 hooks, and other various hardware but suddenly spot the slightly more noticeable mono and THATS why they won't bite? Nah, never convince me that's the case in our waters.
    Ultimately, fish what you have the most confidence in. But for me, I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
  • Aug 3, 2009
    Olympia,WA
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
    For tuna topshot I agree, for salmon I disagree. For that use the stretch of maxima or pline cxx for a topshot might be what just saves that last head shake from throwing the barbless hook or breaking the leader.

What is this barbless hook you speak of????

And yes, braid to mono top......sometimes a fluro leader, but not always necessary.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FishPimpII

EJ Swanny

Nov 30, 2010
    Redondo/WA
    Name
    Erik
    Boat
    Thanks folks, as said before my goto set-up was mono topshot, and I use fluoro leaders. With hootchies and flies you should use fluoro 40lb test, as it transfers the energy from the flasher to said hootchie/fly and give it alot more action. Fluoro is less visible...Fact. It was a simple question, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.