Topshot length for tossing iron?

DEA

Feb 8, 2007
NorCal
Name
Will
Boat
I wish......
Had an open/lively discussion today down at the local watering hole with regards to tossing iron and leader/top length.

I am proponent of the longer topshot length 70-100yds although a few fellas use 40-50yd topshots.

Granted skill set aside as well as rod length/lure weight, what length(s) do you fellas use predominately.

I would rather toss with a longer topshot rather than have the braid go through the guides purely to prevent wind knots and professional over-runs.

Comments?

I am all ears!!!!!

Upvote 0

fishnfool

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 30, 2003
Murrieta, Ca
Name
Kevan
Boat
IMAHO
I have had this discussion many times. For me the bottom line comes down to the distance an individual can cast. If you can cast a jig 80 yards and don't want the knot going back and forth through the guides every cast possibly causing a back lash or ripping your thumb open you need a hundred yard, (or longer), topshot, or a short leader so the knot will not pass through the tip. For example if you are using a ten foot jig stick you would want approximately a six foot leader give or take. This works for me but I am sure there are plenty of other recommendations out there.

Upvote 0

MikeyLikesIt

did you say FISHING ???
Feb 24, 2003
East-a-La-Mesa, baby!
Name
starts with an "M".....
Boat
#1 boat scrubber - Team Madrugador
I have had this discussion many times. For me the bottom line comes down to the distance an individual can cast. If you can cast a jig 80 yards and don't want the knot going back and forth through the guides every cast possibly causing a back lash or ripping your thumb open you need a hundred yard, (or longer), topshot, or a short leader so the knot will not pass through the tip. For example if you are using a ten foot jig stick you would want approximately a six foot leader give or take. This works for me but I am sure there are plenty of other recommendations out there.

X2

I prefer the longer mono topshot, so I can change it out every night, or sometimes mid-day..... :rolleyes:

:)

Upvote 0

YellowTail310

Jul 28, 2006
Name
G
Boat
None
Upvote 0

OIF VET

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2010
North OC
Name
Brian
Boat
nope
I think it comes down to how far you can cast on your best one. Figure out how long your casts are and add twenty yards to it and that's your top shot length. Just my two cents on how I do it.

Upvote 0

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I like a long mono topshot and if I use it a lot during the day i change it every night...IMO line takes a huge amount of abuse casting

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I use straight mono for the surface iron, no spectra. Change it every day and I usually do ok

Upvote 0