Top shot or not

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by MitchF, May 20, 2019.

1. c-nut

c-nut Fishing addict

Name:
    Glenn
    Boat:
    TBA
    Fish with what makes you feel confident and don’t look back! I mean from reel, rod, line, knots, presentation. Once you hook up... :-) Aka mike drop

plj46 likes this.
  2. Rimack

Rimack Old School

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    Nope
    Load my reels up with JB and 15-20' of Seaguar.
    I made this change from a mono topper 2 seasons ago, I like the feel..much more sensitive and I dont have to deal with that surgeons knot.
    RP and SD knot and done.

3. mindbent

mindbent Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    one that floats
    I fill my rigs complete with braid and use 10'-20' mono or fluoro leaders. Sometimes tie on short leader of fluoro to mono depending on condition. For someone just getting into fishing I'd suggest 100yrds of mono and just tie on a short fluoro leader if necessary. Learn how to tie knots, find the one you tie best and stick with it. Also practice casting. You will eventually find what works for you. Have fun #1 rule.

fishnfool909, Rimack and Haly0 like this.
  4. Haly0

Haly0 Pescado hunter

Name:
    Hal
    Boat:
    lightest load party boat available
    This exactly on all of my bait reels. Just enough line to miss casting on the knot. I also check the talent for the day & improvise. If I’m fishing with a group of salty guys I’ll run a short topshot or leader only. Novice’s who don’t want to cooperate I’ll fish longer mono topshots for the tangles that will happen.

swami 805 likes this.
  5. Hamachi_Kama

Hamachi_Kama HK Slays Multimedia Fishing

Name:
    Tomo
    Boat:
    20' Ranger inshore CC
    Some great suggestions in this thread. And I agree with the opinion that personal preference is where its at in that it all gets bit. I'd suggest a 1/3 spool mono topshot. Especially if you're new to the game. Having a decent topshot allows easier navigation at the rail - over/under, etc., and is way easier to quickly work out a tangle, whether a backlash or a 5-way fish-on tangle with 4 of your fishiest friends. Personally, I like a long flouro leader 15-20' or so, connected to mono with a seaguar knot. Braid to topshot connection is an FG knot. I've fished many different configurations and this is currently where I am at with these bluefin tuna. Been working out pretty good.

6. BeachedBeaver

BeachedBeaver Newbie

Name:
    Kenny
    Boat:
    No boat.
    I started fishing before fluorocarbon came out.
    Pick a good Bait and get the bait away from the boat, that's the biggest factor. I have always fished Mono from 20lb up to 80lb and have never had problems, just user error about 90% of the time. I have seen fisherman catch fish on every type of rig from all braid, mono, mono.with flouro, and personally. I like to have only 1 connection, spectra to mono and thats how I always have fished and a majority of the time outfished the whole boat. When it comes to jigs i personally like mono because its.smooth throught the guides and you.dont want to have the knot going in and out of your guides every single cast.

7. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    I stopped casting baits , I just swing them out about 20 feet, so I’d rather give the bait the lightest line to pull which means no top shots, shortish fluoro leaders and hooking the bait in the back or butt. The bait will swim much further than you can cast, every time.

8. Al B.Fishing

Al B.Fishing Newbie

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    n/a
    Has a Bluefin ever been caught on a reel filled with straight mono ?

Omarkayak likes this.
  9. plj46

plj46 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    jim
    Boat:
    24 ft grady white
    Are you serious ?

10. chachi10

chachi10 Newbie

Name:
    Chachi
    Boat:
    None
    I've done it dozens of times on the troll back when I was on the east coast.

11. Al B.Fishing

Al B.Fishing Newbie

Name:
    gary
    Boat:
    n/a
    Never heard of it or seen it yet

12. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    if you use soft steel you get the benefits of fluoro and mono not to mention break strength is at least one line class higher.

I used to use fluoro until tony gave me some soft steel

13. speyman

speyman Iron Chucker

Name:
    jack-e
    Boat:
    Intrepid, Ms Magoo
    used to kill them off san diego all day long on straight 25# in the old days

14. chachi10

chachi10 Newbie

Name:
    Chachi
    Boat:
    None
    Most of the bft we caught on the east coast came on the troll. Basically stuff a 50 wide with as much heavy mono as you can and troll a bunch of cedar plugs and Daisy chains til one goes. Same goes chunk fishing. There isn't much of a live bait scene over there so there's not much benefit to fishing light line since you don't need a bait to swim it. The fish aren't nearly as line/hook shy on that side.

15. jmoore1989

jmoore1989 Jeremiah

Name:
    Jeremy Moore
    Boat:
    232 Welcraft
    I use a top shot or leader on everything no matter what test i'm fishing. I like using braid to fill 95% of my reels then either tie a leader or top shot for the rest. 1. Braid is cheaper and lasts longer. 2. I can get away with heavier lb braid because the diameter of braid vs fluor or mono is smaller lb for lb. Length of top shot is preference, some guys put 10 yards and I've heard of some putting 100 yards and I always use a uni knot to combine the two. Leaders i'm usually in the 4-6 ft range with no swivel and using the same Uni knot. YouTube is great place to learn the basics

16. Txfisher96

Txfisher96 Newbie

Name:
    Ashton
    Boat:
    14' Heritage Angler
    I've got 2 25's and a 40 on straight 40 lb mono on a penn jigmaster and a 90 on straight 60 lb mono on a penn senator. straight mono was the game long before anyone thought of braid