Not open for further replies.

Bold #7

Jun 23, 2009
ontario ca
Name
dave
Boat
parker
I will be the first to admit it's not for me, more power to you maniacs. Go have a great time. I remember just last year being out behind the Island and taking waves over the side and that 300lbs stainless kill bin flying across the deck and ramming the rail. Anglers would have easily broken a leg had there been anyone in the way of it. There are times a Captain must make prudent decisions not to put the not so expierenced angler in harms way (the 3 day or less guy). Kudo's to the Captain of the Top Gun 80.

Upvote 0

chuck norris

just turn the handle
Jun 13, 2008
Long Beach Ca
Name
Chuck Norris
Boat
USS Kitty Hawk
Were tucked into the Isthmus here at Catalina and I can tell you its snotty. Last night the wind was snorting big time even inside the harbor. I have my 20 foot cc side tied to the big boat and
the surge and wind was nasty. Spent much of the night keeping the 2 boats from killing each other.

Reactions: Capt Devo
Upvote 0

lougio

Capt Lou
Jul 19, 2014
San Diego, CA
Name
Lou
Boat
'03 Parker 2520 Louie-Lui II
Were tucked into the Isthmus here at Catalina and I can tell you its snotty. Last night the wind was snorting big time even inside the harbor. I have my 20 foot cc side tied to the big boat and
the surge and wind was nasty. Spent much of the night keeping the 2 boats from killing each other.
That musta sucked, damn. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
They made the right call.

I was on Shogun last month west of SCI. Similar conditions, not quite that bad. Made it very difficult to fish. Thats on a big wide steel hulled boat. I wouldnt have wanted to be on any less boat.

When its that rough, its pretty darn hard to fish effectively IMO.

The Mahogany planked Ditmars offer the smoothest rides because they bend and have give. The Steel and Aluminum hulls are solid rides with no give but watch your bows because they snap back up on you fast if you don’t check your throttles on these hulls, on the plank boats not so much. If it’s blowing just hard stay in it just beats up the everything the people the boat the bait and it's .....Risky!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fishwrong

Aug 2, 2020
Placerville
Name
Adam
Boat
Bayliner
Totally get the frustration of having a trip canceled, but the flip side is being out in a remnant hurricane that makes the captain of an 80’ boat uncomfortable, sucks. Not an enjoyable experience. Not what I’d be looking to pay money to do. They did their clients a favor in my opinion.

Hope you get in a better trip soon.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I went on a couple of 3 day trips where i wished the Captain would have cancelled.The OP should be grateful.

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    It doesn't sound to me like many posters on this thread ever fished out of Morro Bay chasing albacore, or salmon fishing out of Monterey for salmon. Big water fishing for sure when your jigs are skipping out of the water cuz of big swells.

If you use a 1-1.5oz egg sinker it'll hold your bait down in the water and won't be drug around as the boat pitches with the swell. You just have to backspin your reel when you go in the trawf.

We are blessed with such calm seas in SoCal and beyond. I'll take it over a bumpy ride but in my experience an 8' swell with 20 knot sustained wind is still fishable. 25 knot wind not so much.

Be safe out there,
    Gary

Upvote 0

js_lind

Almost A Member
    Aug 28, 2006
    Villa Park
    Name
    John
    Boat
    -
    Red Rooster left Thursday morning. Spent the night in pyramid cove, fished YT there in there Friday morning And landed 15 between 15-25lbs. When the weather backed off a little they ventured out and had a huge afternoon boating 22 BFT over 100lbs including a couple cows and one super! Conditions weren’t good, but obviously fishable.

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
    Mar 14, 2010
    San Clemente
    Name
    Devo
    Boat
    Trophy
    It doesn't sound to me like many posters on this thread ever fished out of Morro Bay chasing albacore, or salmon fishing out of Monterey for salmon. Big water fishing for sure when your jigs are skipping out of the water cuz of big swells.

If you use a 1-1.5oz egg sinker it'll hold your bait down in the water and won't be drug around as the boat pitches with the swell. You just have to backspin your reel when you go in the trawf.

We are blessed with such calm seas in SoCal and beyond. I'll take it over a bumpy ride but in my experience an 8' swell with 20 knot sustained wind is still fishable. 25 knot wind not so much.

Be safe out there,
    Gary

The thing about Morro Bay and Monterey is the Albacore season is short so Captains are more willing to try to get the trip in mostly by running way up hill and into the weather at night then fishing back down the hill for a better ride at day break. The Salmon trips can be very near the Harbor and limits can be had quickly these are usually in by noon limits or not. In Monterey they use a lot of Head Boats from the East Coast these boats are heavy beasts planked with Mahogany amazingly stable, they run no Galleys at most the landing.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
  • Jan 10, 2006
    Brookings Oregon
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    19"Gregor
    It doesn't sound to me like many posters on this thread ever fished out of Morro Bay chasing albacore, or salmon fishing out of Monterey for salmon.
    I got my first alby out of Morro at 5 years old on a small boat . Iv'e also been out on the admiral in total shit weather catching them . In no way would I sign up for three days in a row of that kind of abuse .

Upvote 0

ripped

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Dec 5, 2007
    Santa Cruz
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    Vagabond
    I got my first alby out of Morro at 5 years old on a small boat . Iv'e also been out on the admiral in total shit weather catching them . In no way would I sign up for three days in a row of that kind of abuse .

Good point about 3 days in a row, I'm just sayin' that it's still fishable and if you find yourself in the washing machine you can make lemonade out of lemons.

Upvote 0

okie man

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Oct 24, 2006
    new palestine indiana
    Name
    kerry way
    Boat
    18' javalin
    So boat doesn’t go and people bitch on the internet. Same boat goes, people get sick, can’t fish ,2 kite fish for 28 people and people bitch on internet. Just sayin’

Reactions: 500BBC

Steve Francis

Sep 11, 2006
    --
    Name
    StephenKatSea
    Boat
    .--.
    Top Gun 80 - Bob Taft. I've known Bob for many years. Nobody wants to catch fish more than him. Trust his expertise in fishing as well as his expertise in safety and weather.

Morro Bay - different world. I ran boats up there for a few years. The Marauder, a 70' Seaway, and the New Salty Dog, a 100' Ditmar Donaldson. The NSD could take much more weather, while keeping the passengers safe. Only one injury, Tady once tripped on the deck of the Maurader and broke his arm, in calm weather.

gettingbentwithbo

Subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
    Mar 7, 2009
    Riverside
    gettingbentwithbo.com
    Name
    Bo
    Boat
    16' Starcraft SF SS
    Top Gun 80 - Bob Taft. I've known Bob for many years. Nobody wants to catch fish more than him. Trust his expertise in fishing as well as his expertise in safety and weather.

Morro Bay - different world. I ran boats up there for a few years. The Marauder, a 70' Seaway, and the New Salty Dog, a 100' Ditmar Donaldson. The NSD could take much more weather, while keeping the passengers safe. Only one injury, Tady once tripped on the deck of the Maurader and broke his arm, in calm weather.
    Can confirm. Bob will damn near yell at you if you aren't fishing hard enough. On my 2.5 day on 9/4 there were several times he was on the horn saying They are under the boat I can only find them for you, I can't catch them too. Come on guys! Lets go!

Great Captain, would definitely fish with them again.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Latest posts