Top Gun 80 into big Bluefin

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by Blue Chummer, May 3, 2014.

1. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet

Hell no it wouldn't. Especially on such a short trip and the short window you may have to get bit after a jig stop offshore. You don't want to have to retie in a hot bite if you don't have to. You may just have one shot to get your winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I think that is a great quiver right there.

The only difference between a 2 1/2 day and an 8 day is simply the odds you will score. The same fish are mostly out there on both trips (if the locations and likelihood are a little different).

2 1/2 day is a crap shoot. Be prepared.

I could take one 40lb rig on an 8 day and be happy because it's nearly always money and you even have time to break it, take a siesta, then get a boat set up and still fish 4 more days. That's what makes the longer trips more fun too, everyone is usually relaxed and knows they will get their fish. Most are fished out at the end with limits of at least a few species the norm.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
  2. slydawg

slydawg Always wishin' I was fishin'

Name:
    Billy
    Boat:
    WWW - 25’ Proline
    They may have gotten corn holed by bigger models.... Maybe the 60lber was the baby of the bunch??

arkansastuna likes this.
  3. Gmoyer

Gmoyer Member

Name:
    Gary Moyer
    Boat:
    38' Bertram - Los Lobos
    If I have this straight, nice BFT in 1.5 day range (great news); Top Gun and some adventurous anglers got off the couch and went scouting (gotta hand it to them); and most the folks responding from the comfort of their computer are calling those guys kooks and would personally have landed a couple of the 60 lb-ers ('cuz you're obviously smarter, better looking and certainly better fisherman than the folks that actually went out)...

4. Crashburn

Crashburn Executive Board Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Never Ever Again 7 has been enough !

Sounds about right ! I went on a overnight last week to Cat and I had a rod for those Bluefin.

5. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Angler/Client

Name:
    john
    Boat:
    not crazy enough yet

SOooo what's your point???

LOL LOL LOL

Mostly the idea here is internet fishing, name calling, dick waving and measuring contests along with double dog daring someone to kiss a girl or eat a tuna heart.

Occasionally we help someone despite our best intentions. :)

ps do you really think I'm good lookin? :oinker:

pps Hell, I'd pay $700 to break off a BFT and be happier about it than I am now at the comfort of my computer, landlocked to boot. Some of the guys on the trip might not feel that way. Don't spoil our fun.

Last edited: May 4, 2014
    capnjackv likes this.
  6. Blue Chummer

Blue Chummer Newbie

Name:
    Blue Chum
    Boat:
    Hitchin' a Ride
    better looking for sure , Probably would of had to start handing them off too :)

7. Idatuna

Idatuna Member

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Bog Jumper
    seen it.

8. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Very interesting. Yeah...if you don't have a stout rig in your hands a 60# Bluefin will have its way with you. Man, those fish pull hard. Maybe we'll be getting into these again throughout this year. They were tough fishin on my last trip...boat shy.

9. afraser

afraser I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    aaron
    Boat:
    NA
    They always bite 40lb if you have a hot bait. Would be nice to know if they had any warning or was it just, 10 bent rods all At once. Cause it is likely the 60lb was the baby. Plenty of 60-80lb flsh caught on 30lb last year, but I wouldn't risk it.

10. Ali

Ali Master of Nothing Admin

Name:
    That Guy
    Boat:
    31' Innovator
    A little bit of BFT and a some really nice weather... Maybe time to do a little scouting.

There's also some jumbo 10-20# bonita and yellows on kelps out there.

Wouldn't be the worst plan with this flat water we have been enjoying.

11. cudun

cudun Member

Name:
    LUAN
    Boat:
    26' Grady White CC & 2530 Parker
    Don't get too excited just yet! I just got back today from a 3.5 day trip on the Apollo.. Went all the way to Sac reef and ran into schools after schools of uncooperative YT. No BF in sight. Ended up with bunch of rock fish to pay off for our effort. It beat fishing from the keyboard anyway! Jodie and the crew were working hard to put us on the fish but unfortunately the YT had a different agenda.

johndtuttle likes this.
  12. arenpilav41

arenpilav41 jjpilav

Name:
    Pilav
    Boat:
    No Boat
    the fish count says they also got 24 yellows. Does anyone know if they were rats or decent sized fish? I remember last year there were a lot of 20+ pound yellows caught on kelps, early in the season.

13. caserock

caserock Student of life ....

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    La Otra
    Perhaps this group was throwing 20 and 25 string and thus the poor hook to land ratio. Fresh 30lb. line on a decent setup will land these 60lb BFT if your willing to pull and listen to the crew. The takeaway I hear is that ... fish were spotted and responded to fin bait in early May. This is a good thing.

Tim Turis and Bill W like this.
  14. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Don't forget to bring a 50 to 80 lb rigs boys . Last season mucho big ones were lost due to under gunned rigs !! :D

15. homeboyhero

homeboyhero Newbie

Name:
    Johnathan
    Boat:
    15 Gregor
    I read the yellows were 15-20

16. Sherm

Sherm aka: The Sherminator

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    Yak
    I bet the 60 pounder landed was the baby and the lost fish were much bigger. At least that's what I would say if I lost one. :-)

oldtrackster, stairman and Steve K like this.
  17. HBTRANSPLANT

HBTRANSPLANT fISH fINDER

Name:
    craig
    Boat:
    Many, but are none are mine

That photo is like heaven on earth !!!!

18. Hugo Bendo

Hugo Bendo Hugo Bendo

Name:
    Frank
    Boat:
    unknown
    I believe this trip was advertised as "Exploratory".With that word.You are probably advised
    to bring out at least one 50-60lb.outfit.BUT!What are your chances of you fishing the big gear
    when this school hit?Unless of course the Captain knew in advance that these fish are "BIG"!

19. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    Those big Bluefin bastards are funny and at times can be finicky. We'd always like to be in control with the heavy string, but sometimes they just won't bite it, and anybody who says they will always get bit using 50-60 lb or even 40 lb is just talking out their ass. On a good plunker one year, we were getting bit on 30 lb and as the sun went down, I switched to 40 and stopped getting bites. Got a little less light and still switched back to 30 lb to get bit. Go figure. Last year in June, I fished bait after bait with a 20' topshot of 50 lb fluorocarbon without a sniff on the day we boated about ten over 100. Most of those were taken with 40 lb and I think we killed every one that was hooked.

That was our second day offshore and then we had to beat feet for shelter because the weather was coming up. It blew for three days while we leisurely fished Cedros for Yellows and even managed a couple of White Sea Bass and a few Halibut. Being an 8 day, we were able to get back out offshore for our last fishing day when the weather laid down. I manage that 60-70 lb Bluefin in the Avatar Pic with a two speed and the 50 lb topshot. Some days they'll eat it, some days they won't.

Probably equally important is to have a rod with sufficient backbone in order to lift the fish. Being all bent over with a wimpy rod absolutely sucks when you're bottomed out! One of the ways I go about it is to fish 30 lb on a rod that is normally rated for 40 lb, a Calstar 865XH or a Seeker EX 6470. For 40 lb, you can pull a lot harder on a 6465H than you can on your 6470. Anyway, that's what's worked for me in the past.

Undergunned? I had the misfortune to be fishing 30 lb on a Penn GS545 with the stock high gears, 6:1, and a Calstar 670L, when I got bit by my first and so far only Bigeye, at 73 lbs. Oh shit, oh dear! An hour later after taking four laps around the boat, we finally got it, with a lot of coaching from the crew.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
    karlk1125 and Bill W like this.
  20. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    You said it all