PENN

AZTunaBaron

Aug 11, 2010
Phx,AZ for the time being
Name
Baron was my dog
Boat
Someday
.... I probably wouldn't have been happy about the snack selection and the fuel surcharge is questionable but I wouldn't have put out a report about how much the boat sucks based on stale cookies and after only one trip. That's not really fair in my humble opinion....

At that price I would put up a rant like this. I think his points are concise and formidable. Just something I've noticed, but this boat always seems to be the most expensive short range. I always thought it must be great staterooms or something above and beyond. Unchanged linens are NOT OK, take a look at my occupation.

mbtuna: I see you know the drill with the :finger: icon, so you know what to expect here. I think your "rant" is fair if it's the truth and you didn't find things to complain about because of shitty fishing.

BTW what's with the fuel surcharge? Correct me if I'm wrong, but gas was about the same last year. I went on 4 2day trips last year-no fuel charge.

EDIT: so gas is about $.40-$.80 more than last year.

Upvote 0

cardiackid

Almost A Member
May 20, 2007
Santee
Name
brian Showalter
Boat
26 ft seaswirl FISHING ROSE II
Hmmm sorry bro but this shit has been going on for some time. Not just cattle boats but all kinds of sport related activities. Always some hidden cost that they always NEVER TELL YOU EVEN WHEN YOU ASK!!!! I hate to say this but ocean fishing maybe overrated. Not the fishing part but all the bullshit lic, passport, size, take, closure sieners This is not the fault of sport fisherman but simple greed on an already depleted eco system it will only get worse. Went to Maui fished all day same thing crew said no fish for ten years, been so slow over the last decade that most boats dont make enough to clean the sheets or have ok food or worse some boats stop running or just sink. Iam so sad I dont know what to do.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2008
Oceanside, Ca.
Name
Ben
Boat
Any overnighter cattleboat!
Went on the Pacific Queen last week (now my latest favorite boat) for a 1 1/2 day that went out 150 miles. Seems fuel surcharge amount - seems like $20, seemed pretty fair for that distance. They ran 3 fish catching 1 1/2 days in a row, then hit a bad weather day for a off count - same weather you hit more then likely.

Upvote 0

rowdyrosco

sancho
Apr 9, 2009
PSL
Name
ross
Boat
Skipjack 20
hey sorry bout ur bad luck man, but that's fishn. If you owned a boat, you would know that NO ONE feels it more than the captain when the fishing is bad. The weather was shit all weekend, the break moved 20 miles over night, and with the wind and swell we were only on a paddy for a second before it disappeared into the distance.we paid $70 extra to run 125mi south, when we paid $0 to go out 250mi last year, boo fuckin hoo, I imagine the coffers are getting a little low for a lot of those guys after two years of bad fishing. as for the rest, you're there for one reason, so instead of pouting around the deck crying over shit that doesn't matter, put your head down and throw a bait. you should feel fortunate that someone will allow you the opportunity. sorry your 'estate room' didn't have a mint on the pillow, and there wasn't caviar and wine flowing from the galley, IT'S A FUCKING TUNA BOAT....if you can't manage that, get ur own boat, figure out what makes it tick, and then maybe you'll see things a little more clearly. Oh, by the way, all the two day bait was shit before it even made it into that washing machine, pick a better bait and leave the others for those who can't see the difference, oh wait that's you...

Upvote 0

Swarthy Dago

Coredor de las olas
Aug 20, 2008
USA
Name
My name is Nobody
Boat
n/a
Everybody can catch fish and have a "good" when fishing is red hot...when fishing is slow thats when a good fisherman/good operation separates themselves from the rest...thats why there are only a few boat I go on repeatedly.

Amen.

Upvote 0

Yank n Crank

Captain
Oct 30, 2007
Yorba Linda
Name
Scott
Boat
27', Seaway, Yank n Crank
Ok, I wasn't on your trip, but after many years of both successful and truly bad trips during tough years when their basically wasn't anything to catch, I can tell you for certain that nobody wants to kill fish more than Bobby Taft. I've been on too many trips where we came back to the dock with a boatload when the counts were very poor to believe we "were just lucky". But one thing we agree on, fuel surcharges are a bitch. One thing I don't believe anyone has mentioned is when your running in shitty weather, 80 miles is about where your going to be at daylight. And if he stopped the boat in the gray, it had to be one hell of a meter mark they ran over. I've just done to many trips over too many years to think otherwise.

Upvote 0

TheFerret

Spaceball
Jun 29, 2007
Oxnard, CA
Name
Jaredd
Boat
none
Man up, quit your bitchin', and go cry to your Momma you babies. Sounds like this trip was similar to most others, including Captain Randel's (you can even read his thread. He could have even been on this boat it sounds so similar...). Bunch of p*&@@#s.

I wasn't bitchin' about the trip or the boat. Did you read what I wrote? The captain did try hard to put us on fish and I tried everything. My issue was the cost. $550 ticket, $50 fuel surcharge, permits were not included so another $22. If you didn't buy the $10 all day coffee/soda your only choice was beer or bottled water, jackpot $10. Grand total of $642 just to get on a boat that fished the equivalent of a 1.5 day. The second day we literally headed north for 6 straight hours on the same heading (guys had GPS devices on board) with a single stop. Every boat we passed was stopped on something and the reports reflect that. We passed the New Lo-An which was on an overnight trip that caught 30 BF. I understand you can't always catch fish. I still tipped the crew $80 even though I got skunked. I could've paid $185 on an overnight trip and been able to fish just as much as we did.

Upvote 0

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
thanks for the heads-up report...we were actually thinking about trying this boat out..50 bucks for fuel is B.S. and some of the other things mentioned don't sound like too much fun either...I think I'll stick to my usual(s) when we do fish the cattle boats.

Upvote 0

Russianhook

Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Nikolai
Boat
Sea Chaser (Arima) 17'
I wasn't bitchin' about the trip or the boat. Did you read what I wrote? The captain did try hard to put us on fish and I tried everything. My issue was the cost. $550 ticket, $50 fuel surcharge, permits were not included so another $22. If you didn't buy the $10 all day coffee/soda your only choice was beer or bottled water, jackpot $10. Grand total of $642 just to get on a boat that fished the equivalent of a 1.5 day. The second day we literally headed north for 6 straight hours on the same heading (guys had GPS devices on board) with a single stop. Every boat we passed was stopped on something and the reports reflect that. We passed the New Lo-An which was on an overnight trip that caught 30 BF. I understand you can't always catch fish. I still tipped the crew $80 even though I got skunked. I could've paid $185 on an overnight trip and been able to fish just as much as we did.

Totally Agree... 100%.. there is no bitching here.. just the naked truth..

Upvote 0

Sortasober

Rarely fish w/o the kids
Mar 3, 2006
Tustin
Name
Steve
Boat
Sold the last 3, now looking
a lot of snotty replies from guys who have less than 50 posts, sorry bout the expensive trip

Upvote 0

Sortasober

Rarely fish w/o the kids
Mar 3, 2006
Tustin
Name
Steve
Boat
Sold the last 3, now looking
and some sharp responses from some new guys

Upvote 0

prater

Almost A Member
Oct 16, 2007
lake havasu city, AZ
Name
michael
Boat
luhrs 30 open, "Arms Wide Open"
a lot of snotty replies from guys who have less than 50 posts, sorry bout the expensive trip

and some sharp responses from some new guys

Hopefully I fall into more than one of your categories!! But wait, with two more posts I will have passed 50 and therefore will obtain full internet credibility!! All sarcastic and snotty replies aside, when a well respected Captain of 30 years experience gets a one sided skewering on a public forum as powerful as BD, those that did so should themselves be skewered and chided into taking a more professional approach. These unilateral comments affect the livelihood of multiple people, including Captain, 2nd, deckhands, those who clean docks at the landings, those who work the landings, divers who clean bottoms, mechanics, boat repair yards, and even the banks who own the homes whose mortgages are paid for by aforementioned. The list can go on.

Consider the following:
1) THE LENGTH OF TIME FISHING: Two day trips are really no more than glorified 1.5 day trips. If you want to fish two full days offshore, a 2.5 day trip is needed. As was pointed out, the Top Gun passed other boats that were still fishing on 1.5 day trips. Well, the 1.5 day boats don't have to be back until the next morning, not that evening, as do the two day boats. Therefore, this is not really a valid complaint.
2) CLEANLINESS OF BUNK: Can't comment, wasn't there. However, have never heard this complaint about his boats before. If true, not acceptable, but again, this is an isolated complaint given a tremendous amount of attention on a public forum.
3) BAIT ROLLED: Weather sucked, happened to other boats as well. Not a fair criticism.
4) HARD TO GET TO RODS: Welcome to a cattle boat. Again, not a fair criticism.
5) SNACKS SUCKED: May be true but not really relevant with regards to a fishing boat, is it?
6) COSTS TOO MUCH: Fishing is expensive, and the cost of $550 (plus surcharge) was paid by everyone in advance. This is CHEAP compared to owning an offshore boat. If you can't afford it in this economy, don't go! Again, not a fair complaint.

Let me end with this question: If everyone aboard had 2 or 3 BFT on one of the stops, do you think we would have seen this post? Not likely. We would probably have seen "WFO! Top Gun Rules!" Respectfully to all (despite earlier snotty comments), Mike.

Upvote 0

AZTunaBaron

Aug 11, 2010
Phx,AZ for the time being
Name
Baron was my dog
Boat
Someday
Consider the following:
1) THE LENGTH OF TIME FISHING: Two day trips are really no more than glorified 1.5 day trips. If you want to fish two full days offshore, a 2.5 day trip is needed. As was pointed out, the Top Gun passed other boats that were still fishing on 1.5 day trips. Well, the 1.5 day boats don't have to be back until the next morning, not that evening, as do the two day boats. Therefore, this is not really a valid complaint.

How do you figure? 2 day boats stay over the second night sleeping/moving at sea and wake in the zone, while the 1.5 are docking up at the same time. To me that's an another .5 days fishing.

Seems like you write the book on what is a valid and fair complaint in life. :finger:

Upvote 0

sitonmyface

SEXNOW
Oct 20, 2008
San Marcos
Name
Brandon
Boat
Sportboat
Top Gun 80 is a good boat. If there were fish to be caught then you would've caught them. As far as the price, don't worry about it. It'll be a lot more expensive next year when massive inflation sets in. Shit, I bet banks own half the sport fleet down here next year if those guys don't get off the dock more.

Upvote 0

spize909

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no

Good points...the starting cost is what kills me. That's why I stopped going with the guy that use to charter with Bobby. I just couldn't afford to get on the boat anymore.
I did a 2 day a few weeks ago and it cost me $75 at sign in. I had my kid with me so it was $150 so I feel your pain.
$10 for coffee and soda....damn!
This is really getting tough for alot of people.......I hope something happens quick so all these guys can keep their boats. Bobby paid alot of money to have that boat built and I'd have to think they are just barely hanging on.........

Upvote 0

Anello

Giddy Up!!!
Apr 9, 2003
SD, CA.
Name
Dan
Boat
No
I re-read this post this morning and had to comment again. I must say that this post caught my eye, so I called a buddy that works on one of the boats just to check the facts here. First off, No excuse for bitching about having to grab a rod and pitch bait. That is sportfishing.....and so is not catching shit when the Bluefin are being Bluefin. They are just very wary and tough to really get going. We all know that.

However, dirty bunks, shitty food and a trip that cost about 11% higher(without Mex Permits) is smoke and mirrors in my opinion. In just addressing a Fuel Surcharge of 10% on a 2 Day trip here are some facts to consider:

1. If Fuel is, on average, 0.60c per gallon more this season(starting estimate) and you had 20 people on the boat that all contributed $50 then the total fuel surcharge would have been 20X50 = $1000.00. So, that said, you would have covered the difference in roughly 1666 Gals of fuel. Adjust the fuel cost difference as you please, but it would need to climb to nearly $2.50 per gallon more this season to make sense if 20 passengers were on board.
2. Appropriate Fuel Surcharge should have been something like 20 X $17 = $340.00. 340/0.60= 566.66 Gallons covered by fuel surcharge. A little more reasonable....but still excessive as I am guessing that you are not burning 566 Gals on a 2 day at 80 miles. Maybe the captains can chime in here as I really have only 2 opinions to base this off of.

Any way that you look at it this is totally ridiculous. If they attached overhead and profit(maybe 10-20%) to the fuel surcharge(which, by definition they should not) you are still way overpaying.

My buddie's boat charges $10-$20 per 2 day depending on the actual fuel cost because he hates to hit people with hidden costs unless he absolutely has to. I do not doubt that the TG is a great fishing boat with a great reputation....but this is just plain wrong...and yes, people/business's need to be held accountable for ripping off their passengers. I'll stick to my buddie's boat.

Upvote 0

cjacobs

Almost A Member
Jun 20, 2008
Corona
Name
Chris
Boat
Tisha J
Fished with Bobby for years best skipper in Southern California.

X2..I just got off TG80 on 1.5 day..On way home with alot of fish..Just because fishing sucked doesnt mean you bash the boat.

Ill post my report later, Im beat, but overall excellent boat,crew, food and fun

A+++ for TG80!

Upvote 0

matrixx611

Is it Friday yet??
Feb 7, 2007
Inland Empire, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
none
2 Day trips are sucker trips. You can only fish until early noon and head home afterwards. I'll never go on a full day trips, it would have to have that extra half day so you can fish till dark.
That 50 bucks is a bummer only travel such a short distance. 600+ on a 2 day trip. Everybody thinks that the boats are the only ones struggling for money. Money come, money go; but happy customers will always be there!!! Attention capatains... A person who never been on your boat leaves a lasting empression, just like the first date. U dont try your hardest, they will never come back

Upvote 0

6xJr

Almost A Member
Feb 11, 2005
Encinitas
Name
Nate
Boat
25WA Hydra-sports
My .02 (probably .005 after taxes), websites like this are a powerful tool for disseminating information, both the good and the bad. However, and I've said this before, if you have a bad experience on a boat TALK TO THE CAPTAIN. They are business men, show them some respect and give them the opportunity to address your concerns before you start bashing their boat. It is the honorable thing to do, and if you still feel like you want to "discuss" it on this forum, hell at least you're armed with all the facts and have given the captain a chance. No opinion either way whether you're right or wrong, wasn't there, haven't fished on the TG80. Take it for what you will...

Upvote 0

KMonkHD

Not pro/Not am
Oct 18, 2007
Thousand Palms, CA
Name
Ken
Boat
Ask the Ex-wife
X2..I just got off TG80 on 1.5 day..On way home with alot of fish..Just because fishing sucked doesnt mean you bash the boat.

Ill post my report later, Im beat, but overall excellent boat,crew, food and fun

A+++ for TG80!

Looks like the quality was there on your trip, but I am a bit lost on the "boatload" part:

Top Gun 80(1 of 1-1/ 2 day)

18 anglers

17 Bluefin (up to 50 pounds), 3 Yellowtail (up to 30 pounds)

It seems that people should be entitled to their opinion good or bad. This is not a news site per se. The majority of post are all opinion. Kudos to the people that stick up for good service.
Also I have fished with Bobby, seemed like a great guy and a good captain, but to be fair there are plenty of great captains in the fleet.
The guy that likened this to a first date is spot on. Fishing is a business for these guys and it is their job to make the first AND lasting impression on their clients.
Call the original poster whatever you'd like, but it's not his job to call Bobby; however it is clearly Bobby's job to serve his clients and part of that is the solicitation of feedback.

Upvote 0

TheFerret

Spaceball
Jun 29, 2007
Oxnard, CA
Name
Jaredd
Boat
none

A+++ for TG80!

I never bashed the boat, for the record. I'll actually fish it again. I just feel they should have discounted the trip or refunded the surcharge if we were going to stay within 40-70 miles the whole time. The crew was good. It was the cooks first ever trip so there were a few hiccups. The captain worked hard the first day.

Upvote 0

Cali Native

Jan 19, 2007
Rolling Hills
Name
Bob
Boat
The Bob Sled
5 Bluefin hell you scored! I went on the 2 dayer the previous Sun and we only got 2 Bluefin (+ a dozen or so YT an a few dodo's) both on bait. Oddly 1 of them was caught at the Coronado's must've been a pen escapee. We spent the whole 2nd day there because apparently we had gone too far the day before supposedly 120 miles out. The Coronado's yielded a nice 32# Halibut some Bass and too many Barracuda. It was rough out there man real rough the kind that leaves you weightless in your bunk falling off the tops of the swells. I won't be going back until that bullshits over. As far as that $50 fuel charge goes x 25=$1250 and at 30 gallons an hour which they said is about what she averages more or less looks like they pay for almost a whole day's worth of fuel. Seems like more than a 'sur'charge and a little surprising to all of us including my bud who owns a very large trucking outfit in LA. If there ever was, there doesn't seem to be anything 'top' about the Topgun now.

Upvote 0