Larry S

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    What Is you top 5 Salmon Lures, In order?

Chartreuse Roto Cip Clip, Metallic Green Fin
    Chartreuse FBR, Scale Pattern Blue UV Tape
    Glow FBR, Blue UV Tape, Red Eye
    Clear Roto Chip Clip, Chrome Scale Tape Body & Fin
    Chartreuse Roto Chip Clip, Blue UV Tape Fin
    All re-tied 30lb test,
    Double Fixed Snell, 4/0-5/0 Red Octopus Bend, Barbless Hooks

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Purple Haze hoochie 2 ft behind a big chrome dodger. Watermelon Apex. Pearl white Apex.
    Purple Haze hoochie 2 ft behind a big chrome dodge, was a freind of mine's, go to, if we wanted to scatch one up!

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

DennisV

Jan 4, 2017
    Paloma, CA
    Name
    Dennis Vagt
    Boat
    Just a NuCanoe Frontier now.
    Purple Haze hoochie 2 ft behind a big chrome dodge, was a freind of mine's, go to, if we wanted to scatch one up!
    Yup. Always my deepest rig. Never reel it up unless a fish is on it. Assuming those filthy jellyfish aren't stinking the place up, of course.

Hell, I was just kidding about the Apex. They rarely got to go swimming. Purple Haze swam every time.

Upvote 0

Mangata

Jun 4, 2020
    Ellamar AK
    Name
    Art Strauss
    Boat
    Mangata
    Prefer to have flasher/dodger direct connected by 3-4’ from the rigger weight, and the release clip off the dodger.
    Pro-troll used to make a 6” E-lure in blue that was always money. Now using the 5” in Smoke, also effective.
    Rigging herring is effective but I haven’t seen enough of a difference in results to deal with the hassle...

Upvote 0

Tesoro

Sep 5, 2015
    Brookings, Southern Oregon
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21 Arima Ranger 'HogFish'
    When they are feeding anything with action which is the right size of what they are feeding on will catch them. Right now our charter boats are are catching salmon bottom fishing with shrimp fly jigs and chewed up anchovies!! gotta tell you something.. I have every friggin lure and flasher made for salmon and switch them around out of frustration when not catching! thats for chinooks..silvers bite anything with pink thats a no brainer

Upvote 0

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    Prefer to have flasher/dodger direct connected by 3-4’ from the rigger weight, and the release clip off the dodger.
    Pro-troll used to make a 6” E-lure in blue that was always money. Now using the 5” in Smoke, also effective.
    Rigging herring is effective but I haven’t seen enough of a difference in results to deal with the hassle...

Greenback Herring, Brined with a Blue Tint, can make a differents.

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

Mangata

Jun 4, 2020
    Ellamar AK
    Name
    Art Strauss
    Boat
    Mangata
    Greenback Herring, Brined with a Blue Tint, can make a differents.
    Concur, and I should likely pull a brined herring more often for kings when the lures don’t seem to be producing. Usually at that point I am switching to butts, rockfish, lings, getting off the troll.

Reactions: Larry S
    Upvote 0

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    When they are feeding anything with action which is the right size of what they are feeding on will catch them. Right now our charter boats are are catching salmon bottom fishing with shrimp fly jigs and chewed up anchovies!! gotta tell you something.. I have every friggin lure and flasher made for salmon and switch them around out of frustration when not catching! thats for chinooks..silvers bite anything with pink thats a no brainer
    Ya ya, I guy I new caught one on a Chrome Hex Bar, but had to toss it, because of the Barbed hook!

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    The key is to use gear that matches the actual conditions and feed.

It is true that....out of all the possible "junk" to use, a purple haze hoochie behind a red hot spot flasher will probably catch fish in more different conditions than just about anything else.

For fall chinook however, nothing outfishes a properly rigged bait. Learn how to bait a hook without using a FBR / hood / whatever device.

Out of the hundreds of hoochie patterns, some are for cold, dark water (brown or murky green upwelled water full of plankton). Some are for clear green water. Some are for warmer, clean water. Always use a gum pucky in a straight hoochie.

Spoon patterns follow a similar logic. The chrome, chrome / brass spoons work well in the spring. The colored spoons (like pink / white, watermelon, etc.) work well in dark water.

Small Tomic plugs work well when they are feeding on baby rockfish.

On & on.

Upvote 0

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover

It is true that....out of all the possible "junk" to use, a purple haze hoochie behind a red hot spot flasher will probably catch fish in more different conditions than just about anything else.

For fall chinook however, nothing outfishes a properly rigged bait. Learn how to bait a hook without using a FBR / hood / whatever device.

Out of the hundreds of hoochie patterns, some are for cold, dark water (brown or murky green upwelled water full of plankton). Some are for clear green water. Some are for warmer, clean water. Always use a gum pucky in a straight hoochie.

Spoon patterns follow a similar logic. The chrome, chrome / brass spoons work well in the spring. The colored spoons (like pink / white, watermelon, etc.) work well in dark water.

On & on.
    Great info!

Upvote 0

Mangata

Jun 4, 2020
    Ellamar AK
    Name
    Art Strauss
    Boat
    Mangata

On & on.
    Yup!!

Upvote 0

Larry S

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover

On & on.
    Small Tomic plugs?

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    Small Tomic plugs?
    Yes, the 4 inch...the smallest below. 5 inch & 6 inch on top. In the deep water, when you see the rockfish hatch....like bocaccio, shortbelly, etc. There will be loads of these 2 - 3 inch babies, and salmon just love 'em.

Of course, we use the bigger plugs when they are on other feed, like sardines & herring.

20210419_160052.jpg

Reactions: Larry S
    Upvote 0

Spear or rod

• Aug 31, 2008
    San Francisco
    Name
    Tommy T
    Boat
    Anything that floats

On & on.
    When you say “straight hoochie” that’s w/o any cut anchovies hooked onto it, yes? I will dig out a couple of old Tomic plugs I’ve had forever but never got around to fishing. Thx for great breakdown. T

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    My go to for king salmon is a 11 inch Hot Spot flasher in the cop car color -- black and white -- which, of course, is no longer made. I put a glow or glow/green hoochie 22 inches behind the flasher. I'll fish that until I get information that something else is working better which is rare. If I have a couple rods out, I often fish a 4 inch spoon in the army truck color.

Upvote 0

effigy

Jul 18, 2007
    Oregon
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Which one? Too many....
    Yes exactly. When you put a hoochie behind a hot spot, you want it to whip around a bit. Putting chunks of bait on it hurts the action. You want a single hook, like a big curved point mustad (95170, if memory serves). 5/0 minimum.

In Ft Bragg, the locals like to cut an anchovy into a long wedge, and pull it into the hoochie, and put it behind a dodger. They bite that pretty good sometimes, but it's not getting whipped around like a baitless hoochie behind a hot spot.

The hoochie with bait works real well for coho up in Oregon. That's why that method was used in Ft Bragg originally....for coho.

P.s. if you really want to put bait on the hoochie and not mess up the action keep it small. Take a small knife (like a little boning knife) and fillet the herring, sardine, or large anchovy. Then cut the fillet lengthwise into strips, max 2 inches long. Now put them in Tupperware, add salt, and put in the fridge. Put on hook at the end of the strip.

Last edited:
    Reactions: AKSalmon
    Upvote 0