Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Finish up here for me. Got my wire and crimps from TFT. First impression of crimps was holy crap these are huge! I created a Flemish Eye/Loop and crimped it, the crimp slid right off. Used the next notch in the crimper and that’s got it snug. I think in the future, I might try the Catch All 13 mm Mini Copper Double Barrel Crimp Sleeves, 100 for $7.89 on Amazon. Probably the better match for the 275 lb 49 strand cable with a diameter of

Going to rig the DTX 220 and a Dorado pattern Marauder and rerig another, doing away with the swivel, snap and boot.

Last edited:

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Tim Turis, long time regular on the Excel and a pretty savvy angler, fishes trebles on his Wahoo jigs.
Heard that after I moved abroad. Wonder what year that started? Good results? Figures

From 2005 and forward. My results with a owner super gnarl treble

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
The trebles were an experiment because the barbs on those hooks on the DTX are so small they are useless. We had the trebles with us and out of desperation, because we lost so many fish, we switched them out and have not lost a single fish since switching. The trebles are buried all over their faces and they are not getting loose. These DTX lures with the trebles are the deadliest combo I have used in all my years of wahoo fishing.
So, pursuing these treble hooks, what size would you, Dwayne, or anybody else suggest. Talking with a friend up in Mammoth this afternoon, Shon said he also switched out the “barbless” hooks that are stock on the Nomad lures. Success was 100% on strike to gaff ratio. He said Alan Tani helped with the rigging, I think the 175 lb 7 strand wire, Flemish Eye/Loop at the lure, same connection to the swivel on the other end.

Reactions: Shon
Upvote 0

dwaynesda

dwayne
Apr 27, 2003
santee
Visit site
Name
dwayne
Boat
Cabo 216
So, pursuing these treble hooks, what size would you, Dwayne, or anybody else suggest. Talking with a friend up in Mammoth this afternoon, Shon said he also switched out the “barbless” hooks that are stock on the Nomad lures. Success was 100% on strike to gaff ratio. He said Alan Tani helped with the rigging, I think the 175 lb 7 strand wire, Flemish Eye/Loop at the lure, same connection to the swivel on the other end.
Don't remember the size. We just had them in a tackle box and switched them on the fly. As the lures catch fish and break, I just switch them to a new DTX. Be sure to get a GOOD split ring plier, Like Pitbull, before you go. Sorry not knowing the size.

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
Removing the hooks pined all over the fishes face. Is a challenge. Especially when multiple barbs are strategically pinned all over by treble design. There is little chance for escape. Sucks to be a crew removing those hooks. All the time in the boney parts of the fishes head

Seriously, If I was blind folded and had to grab a bunch of owner trebles. So bummed. Can look too closely and get caught looking with a boat roll LOL

West coast thinking

Upvote 0