Apr 23, 2008
Socal
Name
Reuben
Boat
Boat
IMG_0904.jpg
IMG_0909.jpg
For various reasons, i dont get to take the little guy out much. I guess he was always too young and/or the wife isnt really down for one of my epic ocean adventures in rough seas ect. Anyway, the stars aligned and i was off work, the weather was going to be ok on a weekend, and the wife said she would go. With the big catches we have had this season, my son has really gotten to help clean alot of fish and eat alot of fish and he is starting to get into it. I think he gets it now and is getting the bug :)
Ran out Saturday morning from Sunset, got a nice scoop from Nacho, and headed over to the ultra secret spots in and around Avalon. My son had a blast. We caught about 20 fish, but the best part was he caught 4 all by himself. I was hoping (and would have thought) this would have happened a couple seasons ago, but im grateful its starting to happen now. We caught mostly Calicos and Whitefish, we had a couple Sheephead, a Blue perch, and one other variety. All fish released to be harassed by your kids next weekend! Best part is telling the little ones not to reel the fish up to the guides. They do this almost 100% of the time and the poor fish is hanging in the air smacking the tip of the rod! I remember doing it with my dad, and he would yell at me to leave the fish in the water!

Boat ran well and the seas were glass in the morning. The trip home was another story, but that added to the fun factor for my son! He loved it. I was very proud of him, and i think im getting a new fishing partner. The last pic made me laugh b/c he was kinda getting pissed b/c the bite died off with the current change......he looks at the fish finder and says something like, "whats going on? I was getting bit and now nothing!" I said Little man, your going to have to develop a wee bit more patience!

IMG_0912.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Atta boy Reuben what a way to spend the day!!!

Great post and pics!!

Upvote 0

26grumpy

who hooked who
Sep 24, 2006
Anaheim Hills
Name
Joe
Boat
Freefrom Boats Club
He's lucky he has a dad like you, great report!!! :appl::appl::appl:

Upvote 0

flyliner

@thereelflyliner
Aug 19, 2007
Santa Monica
Name
Jonathan
Boat
31' Cabo Express
That's such a cool picture of him looking at the fish finder........we all do that and make that face....lol. So happy for you that your son is getting into fishing. Man I hope my daughter ends up loving to fish when she is older.

Upvote 0

smols

Feb 14, 2008
Mission Viejo
Name
Paul
Boat
23 Striper
Great report, I love to see the kids getting into fishing. I will be staying in Two Harbors next week with my family and hope to get my twin 8year old boys and 10 year old daughter into some descent fish. Last year, I eased them into it with perch fishing on a high spot just north of the harbor area that was instant hook ups on strip squid every drift, but this year my plan is to try to make bait and put some real fish on the boat. I have tried the high spot between the moorings and bird rock in the past with not much luck, although I know that it can be productive sometimes. The kids do better drifting than on the anchor, especially when the wind is up. Does anyone that knows that area have any suggestions? Thanks!

Upvote 0

jbday

barney kook
May 15, 2009
MDR
Name
jday
Boat
"Anotherday" 25 ft sea vee
nice going...he looks like he is definitely going to be a fishing buddy for a while!

Upvote 0

Red Drum

Paradiddle-diddle
Mar 15, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Visit site
Name
Capt. Vinnie
Boat
Big Drum-2300 Seaswirl Striper...Red Drum-1500 Duroboat
Good going Reuben, looks like a great time with the Little Man.

Upvote 0