DOGHOUSE26

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Left MB with a nice scoop around 430 and headed for the 425; arrived around 615 and put the marlin jigs out. went a touch south then headed for the 371 and found a buddy on a paddy a little inside and below the high spot but he only found rats so it was on down to the Hidden for us. Weather wasn't too bad going down to the the islands but it built into solid 10-12 kts and whitecaps by the 425. Halfway to the Hidden we scared a school of 30-40 dodos that skipped over the surface away from the boat; 4 miles further we kicked up and 60-80 dodos that looked like an army in the parade marching over the water. No takers on the jigs however. Checked out 4-6 paddys along the way for no takers on jigs or bait. Went 2-3 miles beyond the Hidden and at 1030 made the call to head back up to the 101-425 area for marlin.Once again halfway between the Hidden and the 101 we got a double on the marlin jigs but one of the 7-8# dodos fell off. Continued to short of the 101 where the water started to cool off so we went back over the 425 and headed for the 302. More paddys, no fish. Just below and inside the 302 while driving through a cut up kelp minefield one of the lines pops out of the outrigger and I assumed it was kelp but low and behold this had a little fight to it. We ended up with a small Short Billed Spearfish, the 4th one on my boat over the years. We continued towards the 224 but tired of the constant beating we bent it in for home and that was our day. Wish I had better info for you I just don't know where all the Dodos went in one day.
TIMS SHORTBILL SPEARFISH 9-5-20.jpg

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Thanks for the report , it got a little nautical on the outside as well , bluefin bit good thou

Upvote 0

downtime

Sep 12, 2006
San Diego
Name
Ronson
Boat
26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
Was bumpy out there. That wind was howl. We only found 1 kelp that had biting baby yt, the other 50 were not holding! Seems like ya need to get into that deep blue water before ya find the dodo. We were a couple miles away from it.
Congrats on getting that spear and finding the dodo. Think the wind killed it yesterday.

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Very Nice! what year in your Blackman and what do you use the bait bag for?
I'm not sure what you're asking in what year my Blackman but its an 87 and I'm the second owner and had it for 15 years. The rear bait bag is for extra bait capacity on tuna runs but when we're fishing for marlin its our Drop Back Bait Tank; we bait up a mackerel on a 30-50# Trini 30 or 4/0 Senator and have it ready if we get a jig bite we dump the mack over the transom into the wake and pick up the fish that didn't stick on the jig or quite often a second fish. I also have a small bow bait tank with a 30-50# Trini 30 caster on the bow for sleepers and tailers

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Thanks for the report , it got a little nautical on the outside as well , bluefin bit good thou
Radio reception was unbelievable yesterday, had several conversations with buddies up that way who did pretty good on big boys later in the day from the 381 up to Northwest. several tackle failures though. Also a Commercial Swordfish Captain with 4 fish onboard and while he was landing the latest one, a 350# fish , his noticed another fish taking off with his gear and he never did find it after doing a 10 mile box search. Don't know if it was a stickboat or deep drop but I assume the later. Reception was so clear he could have been anywhere.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
Radio reception was unbelievable yesterday, had several conversations with buddies up that way who did pretty good on big boys later in the day from the 381 up to Northwest. several tackle failures though. Also a Commercial Swordfish Captain with 4 fish onboard and while he was landing the latest one, a 350# fish , his noticed another fish taking off with his gear and he never did find it after doing a 10 mile box search. Don't know if it was a stickboat or deep drop but I assume the later. Reception was so clear he could have been anywhere.
We had 4 fish 90 to 125 lbs we went to the 381 but 7 mikes inside of that we metered a lot of fish so we back travjed and got in the same area and foamers everywhere , so much fun I got one on a stick bait and one on a oct 10 , called in my Nephew Cameron Bingham and he picked 2 fish on the kite , my son in law is heading back out tomorrow but im sitting this one out , im getting ready for a 3 to 4 week road trip fishing muskies , walleys , and northerns up at international falls

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
We had 4 fish 90 to 125 lbs we went to the 381 but 7 mikes inside of that we metered a lot of fish so we back travjed and got in the same area and foamers everywhere , so much fun I got one on a stick bait and one on a oct 10 , called in my Nephew Cameron Bingham and he picked 2 fish on the kite , my son in law is heading back out tomorrow but im sitting this one out , im getting ready for a 3 to 4 week road trip fishing muskies , walleys , and northerns up at international falls
Was all your stuff in the late PM?

Good luck on your trip be sure to stop in and tell the Minneapolis Mayor he's doing a great job

• Haha
Reactions: Rabid Fish
Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
Nov 29, 2004
San Diego
Name
Carl
Boat
everyone elses
A spearfish is still an unchecked box for me. That's awesome. .. I thought the pic I sent u was badass but you had a topper maybe lol

Upvote 0

Chuck T

Oct 4, 2007
Stanton
Name
Would Chuck
Boat
Blackman
I'm not sure what you're asking in what year my Blackman but its an 87 and I'm the second owner and had it for 15 years. The rear bait bag is for extra bait capacity on tuna runs but when we're fishing for marlin its our Drop Back Bait Tank; we bait up a mackerel on a 30-50# Trini 30 or 4/0 Senator and have it ready if we get a jig bite we dump the mack over the transom into the wake and pick up the fish that didn't stick on the jig or quite often a second fish. I also have a small bow bait tank with a 30-50# Trini 30 caster on the bow for sleepers and tailers
Thank you for the reply! I have a Blackman too but, it’s not dialed in like yours yet. See you out there one day👍

Upvote 0

DOGHOUSE26

Feb 22, 2004
Escondido, CA
Name
jeff meeker
Boat
26 Blackman Billfisher
Good Luck up that way we might be Catalina Way the next few weeks if the carp ever settle in and bite maybe we'll cross paths.

Upvote 0