Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
I've been cooking up Wahoo, Tuna, White Sea Bass. Halibut, Vermillion Rock Fish, and Old Yellers on a Weber Bar-B-Q. Works just fine.

Upvote 0

dh515

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 18, 2004
    So Cal
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Intrepid, Red Rooster III, Spirit of Adventure
    When I get burned out on grilled, it goes in the smoker.

Reactions: Raimond
    Upvote 0

lowelld

May 5, 2011
    irvine,ca
    Name
    lowell
    Boat
    bath tub
    I love Rosie's Poke on her Fisherman's Processing recipes website. I throw in a few minor variations, like a few drops of Worcestershire Sauce, cut back a bit on the soy, and add variable heat. The Yellowtail ceviche recipe is good too.
    These make great dishes to take to Superbowl parties.
    I bought a little gizmo at Stein Mart that has 2 small bowls that sit on 2 larger ice bowls and both are held in a metal frame. That way you can bring both YT & Tuna. Keeps the fish nice & cold & makes for a nice presentation. Serve with Sesame rice crackers.

Upvote 0

galen

gfunk
    Sep 20, 2004
    escondido
    Name
    galen
    Boat
    15' inflatable "Pirate's Life"
    Canned yft is great, a pinch of salt and top off with olive oil. Add whatever else you want, garlic, jalapeños, rosemary. Between my wife and I we can only eat so much fresh fish. I use the half pint jars, awesome for casserole, pasta or just put it on a cracker!

Upvote 0

Olddog8

May 13, 2012
    Poway,ca
    Name
    Rick
    Boat
    Sold long ago
    I've tried treating tuna like ground meat - season, add ingredients and turn into meatloaf.

Ive have also ground both YFT and YT, add spices to your mood and make fish burgers. A little teriyaki and pineapple slice on top is amazing. Got the idea watching Dinners, Drive-ins, and Dives, restaurant in Honolulu made fish burgers that way.

Reactions: jerryl
    Upvote 0

KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
    Jul 22, 2008
    SD County
    Name
    Randall
    Boat
    27x10
    Has anyone tried canning it, themselves?

Yep that's what I do. Is time consuming but last longer and taste way better than freezing it.

Get a big All American brand cooker if you get one. Bigger the better as it takes 2-2.5 hours per batch so you want to do as many jars as possible at one time. :D

Upvote 0

balik

Almost A Member
    May 29, 2007
    Long Beach
    Name
    Bob
    Boat
    Soon...
    I like to make batches of good ole tuna salad! BBQ several pieces then add mayo, relish, mustard, diced celery, diced jalapeño and chopped green onions. Toast some rye bread and you've got yourself some killer sandwiches. I'm getting hungry...

Reactions: DMcD
    Upvote 0

palgsw

Jul 24, 2008
    la ca
    Name
    sherman
    Boat
    none
    Make tuna kabobs with homemade soy/teriyaki. I'm not good at measuring and weighing, but this is basic recipe for 1.5-2 lbs of tuna.

clean up filets and cut into 1.5 inch cubes

1/2 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup light soy sauce
    5-6 tablespoons sesame oil
    5-6 tablespoons garlic powder
    5-6 tablespoons onion powder
    5-6 tablespoons ginger powder
    5-6 tablespoons sweetener (can use different sweeteners, brown sugar, molasses, agave, honey, etc.)

Mix all sauce ingredients.
    Mix sauce and tuna cubes in ziplock bag, refrigerate and marinate for 2-4 hours.

Grill cubes, eat with wasabi aoli dipping sauce (mayo and wasabi to taste). Make tuna tacos with leftovers

Upvote 0

Johnlgarrison

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Jul 27, 2009
    Temecula CA USA!
    www.inkspotsgreatdanes.com
    Name
    Johnny Garrison
    Boat
    Parker 2320 "Sticky Business 5"
    Recipe #1 Mexican Sashimi
    Juice of one lemon and one lime
    1 jalapino pepper sliced very thin
    1 yellow wax pepper sliced very thin
    2 green onions sliced very thin
    2 table spoons Tapatio sauce
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    3 table spoons rice wine vinegar
    big handful of chopped cilantro
    Mix all the above ingredient and place in fridge for 1hour to 24 hours.
    Pour above over very thinly sliced yellow tail or yellow fin just before serving.
    Serve with Saltine crackers.

Terrific appetizer for Football Game party.

Recipe #2 Hot and spicy Tuna stuffed peppers
    Mix chopped yellowfin, green onions, eggs, panko bread crumbs and saracha sauce. Just mix it the way you like it. Take the mixture and fill Poblano peppers with the mixture and place them on the BBQ till tuna is cooked to your liking. I like them on the rare side so I cook them for about 8 to 10 minutes. The peppers are grilled and the tuna is hot.

Recipe #3
    Make the above mixture but spoon the mixture into a frying pan with about 1/4" of hot oil and cook hot and spicy tuna cakes. They should be the size of a burger patty. Put them on a hamburger bun with everything you like on a burger. I like to grill pineapple slices and put teriyaki sauce on the burger. Saracha Mayo make it pretty good also.

We had a pretty good season so I have been getting pretty creative. I am making myself hungry.

Reactions: lowelld
    Upvote 0

hagridfish

Oct 21, 2008
    Aurora Colorado
    Name
    Kevin
    Boat
    None
    I like tuna or wahoo stir fry. Cut the fish into 1/2" cubes. Chop up whatever veggies you like into bite size pieces. Heat up the wok with Yoshidas, lightly flour the fish cubes, and put them in the wok for a minute or two. dump in the veggies, stir it all up for just a minute or two, pour the whole thing over rice, and enjoy.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Yep that's what I do. Is time consuming but last longer and taste way better than freezing it.

Get a big All American brand cooker if you get one. Bigger the better as it takes 2-2.5 hours per batch so you want to do as many jars as possible at one time. :D
    I CAN ALOT OF MY OWN tuna IN ITS OWN JUCIES ' PUT ALL THE OTHER STUFF IN FRESH BEFORE EATING ' I DO IT AT 15 POUNDS FOR 90 MINUTES '
    AND THE ALL AMERICAN PRESSURE COOKER MAKES IT THAT MUCH EASER

Upvote 0

KnotyBuoyz

Not so newbie anymore
    Jul 22, 2008
    SD County
    Name
    Randall
    Boat
    27x10
    I CAN ALOT OF MY OWN tuna IN ITS OWN JUCIES ' PUT ALL THE OTHER STUFF IN FRESH BEFORE EATING ' I DO IT AT 15 POUNDS FOR 90 MINUTES '
    AND THE ALL AMERICAN PRESSURE COOKER MAKES IT THAT MUCH EASER

I use same cook time and factored in time for packing jars, heat up and cool down. Like the wide mouth jars better when packing.

Take a quart jar mixed it with some macaroni noddles, onion, celery, diced jalapenos, some mayo in a two gallon bowl and your set for a few days. :D

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    g3
    So, with a well stocked freezer, and reasonable mastery of seared tuna for various applications, poke, sashimi, and sushi, what other ways are you preparing your tuna?

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/th...an-16-18-2015-boomvang-nansen-tequila.574934/
    smoke for a short time,then jar good for sanwiches or on cracker, also make jerky

image.jpg

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

• Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    smoke for a short time,then jar good for sanwiches or on cracker, also make jerky

View attachment 567588
    That sounds great! How long do you smoke it? And do you brine before smoking? In what? The canned tuna my significant other makes is outstanding but I can imagine an improvement with a hint of smoke.

Upvote 0

clintonstick

Mar 18, 2014
    Name
    mike
    Boat
    g3
    nl
    That sounds great! How long do you smoke it? And do you brine before smoking? In what? The canned tuna my significant other makes is outstanding but I can imagine an improvement with a hint of smoke.
    smoke for 30 min no brine,then can ,mix with half non smoked tuna a little olive oil and salt,also put jalepeno in some cans for a little spice.when you mix with non smoked you dont need to smoke so much fish

Upvote 0

Latest posts