Too late to go fishing out of San Diego??

YellowTail365

Just cruisin around, trying to catch a good time!
Apr 9, 2019
Orange County
Name
YellowTail
Boat
10% Skill, 90% Luck
Hey Anglers,

I'm wondering around January 18-19 2020, will it be a waste of time to go fishing out of San Diego on a full day trip? I want to go with a group of friends , but I'm wondering if it'll just be us catching a good time in mid January. Trying to target any type of predator fish. Does any one have any suggestions as well for that time or a better place to go out of in Mid January ? Looking for a full day trip only , 9-12 hours. Would appreciate recommendations for boats leaving out of San Diego as well

Thank you!
Tight lines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Sure. Even if and a big IF , the tuna do die out. Tomahawk great option as is old glory and other! Colonet is a great option for yo yo yellowtail. And always rockfish.

Upvote 0

Tunahead

Long Time Tuna Abused Member
Aug 11, 2006
Costa Mesa
Name
Ron
Boat
several
If the tuna are gone, there will be several boats fishing for
rockfish and yellowtail in Mexican Waters...as Rockfish
season ends in Cal Tuesday the 31st. Might be easier
fishing for these than big bluefin tuna more for long time
experienced tuna guys...FYI. My advice would be do a
1.5 day down to Punta Colonet on Condor, Tomahawk
or similar boats. Better fishing down south over 100mi.
A 1 day would fish the Finger Bank below the Rockpile
for usually smaller fish, just more FYI. GOOD LUCK. LOL

Upvote 0

HighWildFree

Feb 16, 2018
OC
Name
Erik
Boat
Spaghetti Madness
I think the only choices for an all day would on the Grande or Mission Belle, Liberty and the San Diego are docked up for repairs. Does everyone in the group have passports?

Reactions: FlatPack
Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    BD is an interesting place to ask such "8 ball" like questions....lol! Optimism. ....pessimism. ....and everything in between....on the same thread. Always entertaining!!

Brother to answer your questions of "if" and "where" and "when" and biting on "what".....get your 8 ball.

Go forward like you have in the past....it's a "crap shoot" like it is for ALL of us. Put your money down and go. No one to blame for "lame" suggestions..... should the trip be a boat ride.... With friends. Face it...If you were going on "vacation" doing ANYTHING... it would cost the same or more. Why not do it with friends. ....deciding with or without fish.... we'd have a blast! You could do that anywhere....on any boat. Don't need us to chime in. Just my thoughts....

P.S. HAVE FUN! GOOD LUCK! :-)

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
    san diego
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    n/a
    You will be very limited in what you can do with that amount of time ( 9-12 hours) and that time of year
    I would suggest that you jump on a full day boat if they are running. If not the new seaforth is doing a extended half day
    It’s more than likely just a rock fish trip ( as with most trips that time of year)but it is better than nothing

Upvote 0

Billy L

AK halibut charter captain
  • Jul 4, 2009
    San Diego and AK
    Name
    Billy
    Boat
    25’, 22’ Whalers
    Hey Anglers,

I'm wondering around January 18-19 2020, will it be a waste of time to go fishing out of San Diego on a full day trip? I want to go with a group of friends , but I'm wondering if it'll just be us catching a good time in mid January. Trying to target any type of predator fish. Does any one have any suggestions as well for that time or a better place to go out of in Mid January ? Looking for a full day trip only , 9-12 hours. Would appreciate recommendations for boats leaving out of San Diego as well

Thank you!
    Tight lines.
    Fishing is never a waste of time anyways. It’s a matter of what’s caught

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    Stay away from 1/2 day trips that time of year.Rockfish will be closed which leaves basically nothing to fish for.Mexican coastal fishing requires passports among other things but that would be your best bet.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Yeah...."thats" where the Channel Islands are......really? Always easier to drive than take the boat. Reviewing fishing options... that may produce better results.... In my opinion....than the 1/2 day boat ride and 6 "Tom cod". Don't know if "location" was more important. ..or good fishing? Who knows.....what mid January brings?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Dudley613

• May 20, 2015
    Inyotuckee CA
    Name
    Chris
    Boat
    21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
    Yeah...."thats" where the Channel Islands are......really? Always easier to drive than take the boat. Reviewing fishing options... that may produce better results.... In my opinion....than the 1/2 day boat ride and 6 "Tom cod". Don't know if "location" was more important. ..or good fishing? Who knows.....what mid January brings?
    If you’re referring to Clemente yes that’s correct. I assume the majority of people hear Channel Islands and they assume you are talking about San Nic or Miguel which would be a stretch from San Diego. My apologies

Upvote 0

Tvdan

Captain
    Sep 11, 2004
    Long Beach
    www.sport-fishing.com
    Name
    Dan Hernandez
    Boat
    Mi Sueno
    I would rather go fishing then watch tv all day at home. I like the guys suggestions to book a private charter and have an option of tuna fish9ing in US waters or go rock fishing in Mexican waters.

Reactions: Paddyman1
    Upvote 0

TanstaaflSD

• Dec 3, 2013
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Name
    Tanstaafl
    Boat
    n/a
    I would rather go fishing then watch tv all day at home. I like the guys suggestions to book a private charter and have an option of tuna fish9ing in US waters or go rock fishing in Mexican waters.
    My preference is for Seaforth Landing....looks like it is the New Seaforth for January 3/4 days -- a good boat.....it will focus on rockfish, but will also chase yellowtail if around....probably not looking for tuna on such short trips.
    I am not sure if it has chilled fish storage or just burlap bags sprayed occassionally with saltwater.
    Parking is free and plentiful ... PASSPORT Required.
    I suggest you ask the landings two things
    (1) what bait will be used -- live sardines, or live anchovy, or squid slices, or all of the above?
    (2) whether the boat has chilled water for storing / preserving your catch (( try to avoid a burlap bag in the sun with your fish in it all day .... if that is all there is, you may want to bleed your fish yourself when caught )).
    If it is just for a day with friends and some rock-fish, also look at the Premire from H & M -- they run long 1/2 days (8am to 3 pm ) to mexico for just rock fish after Jan 1st ... no Yellowtail, but still a pleasant productive day with friends... PASSPORT Required.
    PS, you might consider a personal brick of squid to be able to fish whole small squid to tempt any passing Yellowtail, rather than just squid slices from the boat.
    Tight lines,

Upvote 0

woodfish330

• Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    SQUID....don't forget it. It has saved so many "questionable" trips for me. Also.... when I was very young going fishing with my dad.... I noticed something odd. At the bait recievers that morning ..... I watched an old guy catching mackerel on the bow while we loaded bait. He just put them in a bucket....not the bait tank. At our first stop..... and every stop thereafter, he used the large chunks of mackerel to consistantly catch lings. Big ones. Needless to say....He won the JP. Actually had the top three fish.... himself! Never forgot that. I Use it every time....If possible, when fishing is "questionable".

Ahhhh the "art of observation".... A lost skill to the "I want it now generation".....
    Stack the deck....In your favor....All you can do. Be safe out there!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    Posted on wrong thread :rofl:

But greenies for lings with a treble hook in the nose. Owner treble

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Carter W.

Aug 6, 2019
    Newport Beach
    Name
    Carter W.
    Boat
    2009 Hobie Outback
    Mid January for San Diego landing are typically trips into Mexico waters for rockfish. I would suggest maybe an overnight or 1.5 day trip to Colonet for some Yo-Yo action on yellowtail and more rockfish. Otherwise be ready for some long hauls up and down. Either way it will be a good trip. Fishing in Mexican waters is almost always productive.

Good luck and Tight Lines.

Upvote 0