Ross
Boat
25, Skipjack "Hideout"
It looks like they will start running trips
Again starting July 11,
Finally, I’m booked for a September trip,
I’m so happy for them,
Did anyone say party.
Personally, I would not go out with them. I have seen those boats. They are loaded so stern heavy I don't think they are safe, not to mention their external appearance. The boat is junk and top heavy and when loaded with pangas It is a real death trap. Sorry, I just don't trust those guys.

Just my humble opinion, if you wake up under water you are not having fun.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Personally, I would not go out with them. I have seen those boats. They are loaded so stern heavy I don't think they are safe, not to mention their external appearance. The boat is junk and top heavy and when loaded with pangas It is a real death trap. Sorry, I just don't trust those guys.

Just my humble opinion, if you wake up under water you are not having fun.
what's funny , is the Tony Reyes ,
is the only Mother Ships
still doing these kind of Trips ,
and I have Friends that been going for years ,
with out any Issues ,
and do you think that the Long Fin's
Owner , that handles the booking,
would deal with A unsafe operation,
and allow some of his own Family to go,
on these Trips if it wasn't safe.....................

Upvote 0

Rossm

Retired Maker of Stuff
Jul 27, 2005
Alpine, CA.
Name
Ross
Boat
25, Skipjack "Hideout"
what's funny , is the Tony Reyes ,
is the only Mother Ships
still doing these kind of Trips ,
and I have Friends that been going for years ,
with out any Issues ,
and do you think that the Long Fin's
Owner , that handles the booking,
would deal with A unsafe operation,
and allow some of his own Family to go,
on these Trips if it wasn't safe.....................
I guess you have forgotten this. The Eric was the sister ship to the one you are talking about.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I guess you have forgotten this. The Eric was the sister ship to the one you are talking about.

the Capitan of the Eric was warned not to go out ,
and he did and payed the price ,
it was the 90 Foot wave that did them in,
name me A boat the could handle that, I'm listening

Upvote 0

Rossm

Retired Maker of Stuff
Jul 27, 2005
Alpine, CA.
Name
Ross
Boat
25, Skipjack "Hideout"
the Capitan of the Eric was warned not to go out ,
and he did and payed the price ,
it was the 90 Foot wave that did them in,
name me A boat the could handle that, I'm listening
The stated size of the wave is purely speculation. I have spent many days in that area and have NEVER seen anything approaching that.

Fact: Yes the skipper was warned and went anyway, strike one. Those guys take chances, I have seen it before. They do not act like professional skippers.

Fact: the boat took waves over the stern. This indicates they were improperly anchored in a poorly chosen spot on ab overloaded boat causing the stern to be way too low in the water. This was the prime cause of the sinking.

Fact: the crew saved themselves and left passengers to die and made no attempt to save those down below deck. I know this because I heard firsthand accounts from The people that picked up one of the survivors.

I have been around boats my whole life. Been on many long range boats, my own boat and the boats of many pros. After taking a good look at these "mother ships", I decided they are an accident waiting to happen. Funny thing is, that was before the Eric sank.

Go if you want but for me it is a no go.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
The stated size of the wave is purely speculation. I have spent many days in that area and have NEVER seen anything approaching that.

Fact: Yes the skipper was warned and went anyway, strike one. Those guys take chances, I have seen it before. They do not act like professional skippers.

Fact: the boat took waves over the stern. This indicates they were improperly anchored in a poorly chosen spot on ab overloaded boat causing the stern to be way too low in the water. This was the prime cause of the sinking.

Fact: the crew saved themselves and left passengers to die and made no attempt to save those down below deck. I know this because I heard firsthand accounts from The people that picked up one of the survivors.

I have been around boats my whole life. Been on many long range boats, my own boat and the boats of many pros. After taking a good look at these "mother ships", I decided they are an accident waiting to happen. Funny thing is, that was before the Eric sank.

Go if you want but for me it is a no go.
Not strike one , stupid,
I have spent 100 of days going out
Of S.D, and I don’t blame all the boats,
For the one accident on the prowler,
Stay off CNN.

Upvote 0

Rossm

Retired Maker of Stuff
Jul 27, 2005
Alpine, CA.
Name
Ross
Boat
25, Skipjack "Hideout"
Not strike one , stupid,
I have spent 100 of days going out
Of S.D, and I don’t blame all the boats,
For the one accident on the prowler,
Stay off CNN.
Stupid? I think not. Did the Longfin make any changes to their configuration after the tragedy of the Eric? Did they change anything? The answer is no. The same conditions that sunk the Eric still exist on the Longfin. They learned nothing.

I think your incomplete argument indicates your intelligence level. By all means go and take the risk, but don't call truth "stupid".

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Stupid? I think not. Did the Longfin make any changes to their configuration after the tragedy of the Eric? Did they change anything? The answer is no. The same conditions that sunk the Eric still exist on the Longfin. They learned nothing.

I think your incomplete argument indicates your intelligence level. By all means go and take the risk, but don't call truth "stupid".
You need to read my post again, I said that the captain of the Eric,
Was stupid for even going out,
Wow.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Uh maybe you need to reread your own post "

Not strike one , stupid," . You never mentioned the skipper of the Eric.
I have had friends that were on one of Tony’s trip, and they had to hide in a cove
Because of a hurricane, for 2 days,
And I belonged to a club that did charters
For over 20 years with them, there is a reason why they still are in business.
And I’m asking for a friend, if you’re still
Wearing a mask now days, every time you go out.

Reactions: fishnfool909
Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
I wouldn’t go on the first few trips out of the CV box. Simpler because the boat has been sitting for about a year.
I have done three TR trips. Never felt unsafe and my last trip was the year the Eric went down.

From what I recall, the main cause besides poor judgment and 70 mph winds and big waves, they capsized because the pongas filled with rain water causing the boat to be top heavy. Kind of like when the crab boats in Alaska that freeze up, and top get heavy from the ice.

Anyaway, I would be more concerned about mechanical issues then anything else right now. Let them run a few trips And get any bugs out.

Upvote 0

CPV

• Apr 29, 2009
    Canyon Lake, CA
    Name
    James
    Boat
    25' Sportcraft
    Usually these comments are from people that have never been. I have been on the Tony Reyes, and am going again every year I can. Incredible operation, Tony is a phenomenal guy with more experience than anyone on this website. Couldnt be more safe on that boat, and from the pictures it does look a little wore down, but the boat, bunks, galley and engine room are all in excellent shape.

Its just like the people afraid to go to baja because all of the cartel... that's fine you feel that way, but until you actually go and see for yourself, you'll always be wrong. You cant let the news, and google searches tell you what its like. At some point you need to see for yourself to have a realistic opinion. Regardless, the more that don't go means more room and better fishing for all of us.

I'm on the Tony Reyes this year Aug 31- Sept 4.

Upvote 0

FDFishin'

• May 12, 2013
    San Diego
    Name
    JK
    Boat
    17' Bayrunner
    Usually these comments are from people that have never been. I have been on the Tony Reyes, and am going again every year I can. Incredible operation, Tony is a phenomenal guy with more experience than anyone on this website. Couldnt be more safe on that boat, and from the pictures it does look a little wore down, but the boat, bunks, galley and engine room are all in excellent shape.

Its just like the people afraid to go to baja because all of the cartel... that's fine you feel that way, but until you actually go and see for yourself, you'll always be wrong. You cant let the news, and google searches tell you what its like. At some point you need to see for yourself to have a realistic opinion. Regardless, the more that don't go means more room and better fishing for all of us.

I’ll be with you on those dates! I’ve been fishing BOLA and Gonzaga for 13 years and this will be my first Reyes trip! Can’t wait!

CPV
    CPV
    Really! You're going on the Mark Winslow trip? Who do you know that's going? PM me if you want to talk offline of this thread
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats

you are so Right,
    haters will always be haters ,and Jealous.

Reactions: kkundargi
    Upvote 0

Luke

Uses alot of bait!
    Aug 19, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Name
    Luke
    Boat
    none
    There is a lot of mis-information in this post.

First the Eric is not a sister ship to the current Tony Reyes. It might have been to the original vessel that the Tony Reyes Fishing Tours ran but not the current vessel. At one time they had two boats, an older one and the newer one which is the current Tony Reyes. Second, the sinking of the Eric was tragic but the cause was the Captain making an ill advised decision to try and “run” from the very fast moving storm. The aft compartment was swamped by waves rolling over the transom. The cause was Captain error and yes the crew did put themselves first madin no attempt to save the passngers.

The Captain of the Tony Reyes is Tony Reyes Junior. He is a professional, college education Captain who I trust. I have fished with him and invested the time to know him. Also, the Tony Reyes is a convert commercial vessel that is well maintained.

Jerry, I would not hesitate to go.

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
    socal
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    23ft parker, reel bad
    I'm not a fan of Mexico and stuff that goes on down there...with that said...I have done the tony Reyes trip on the older boat....it was AWESOME.... and would go with them again, any day. The character of Tony Sr or his son have NEVER been questioned.

K
    kkundargi
    If you are not a fan of Mexico then stay out of Mexico. U are not wanted.
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    I haven’t gone in awhile but went 24 times. When junior used to wash the deck then. A panga driver. Now captain he’s awesome his dad was also. U can feel confident. In him. Tight lines
    It looks like there still having to deal
    Will some things, but there hoping
    They will be running again by early August, I sure hope so.
    This is as of today.

Upvote 0

reelbadlarry

Jun 25, 2005
    socal
    Name
    Larry
    Boat
    23ft parker, reel bad
    I'm not a fan of Mexico and stuff that goes on down there...with that said...I have done the tony Reyes trip on the older boat....it was AWESOME.... and would go with them again, any day. The character of Tony Sr or his son have NEVER been questioned.
    I do stay out of Mexico. How long have you been the spokesman for Mexico? They sure want out Money but could give a shit about anybody's safety. Funny how they were begging people to come back this year...so I guess they DO want us there. Way too many other places to go that a vacation is not something you HOPE to come back from.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    I do stay out of Mexico. How long have you been the spokesman for Mexico? They sure want out Money but could give a shit about anybody's safety. Funny how they were begging people to come back this year...so I guess they DO want us there. Way too many other places to go that a vacation is not something you HOPE to come back from.
    the long Fin just updated their Schedule ,
    and they will be stating up again on the 25 TH of July,
    that's Music to my ears ,
    haters watch out for black Cats .

Reactions: Tackleho619
    Upvote 0