bajadog

Running around knees bent
May 13, 2005
San Diego
Name
Name
Boat
Yours
I'm going back out on this trip after not going since the late 80s.

Limitations now on gear brought aboard.

For instance their website says "No ice chests over 86 qt. can be handled".
I suppose that means it would make sense to bring two 50 quart or?

How about personal gear, like a small duffel bag, and a small
(20" X 10" X 10") tackle box?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
I’d call the long fin. In orange they book the trip s

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
Your intentions may vary, but a trip like that is about having an adventure for multiple days in rough circumstances. Wear clothes that you will leave on the boat at the end, be prepared to fish long hours in the sun on open pangas with a couple of other people, mostly using lures. When you catch a fish it will be in the panga and not kept very cold, and back at the boat they don't handle the fish like the San Diego fleet does. So I don't worry about bringing back much fish for the home freezer. A fresh fish dinner on the boat under that amazing night sky is reward enough.

Hopefully you will be able to catch or somehow obtain some bait, but I would suggest relying mostly on lures. You will be trolling some, but mostly yo-yo and casting. Your tackle box will need to have backup supplies kept in your cabin to restock as needed. Flat-fall type lures are very effective, as are the thin metal lures like Megabaits and Colt Snipers and such. Typical yo-yo lures from JRI and Salas and Tady. Plastic tail lures work but will be destroyed by triggerfish and needlefish, so I don't bother with them. Typical trolling lures like Rapalas and cedar plugs and Zukers all work. Take at least 60# mono as leaders, the fish are not shy enough to require fluoro. Your main line should be at least 30#, and that is really too light. Forty or fifty pound is a better choice and will hold up to rocks better.

This trip is the exact opposite end of the spectrum from a multi-day long range boat experience, but if you know that up front, you will have a good time, and spend a lot of time actually fishing instead of putting sea miles under the boat.

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Colorado
Name
denis
Boat
deadhead luees
Make sure u have extra line plenty of torpedoes I’ve fished with Tony 20 years there’s no store out there lol plenty of iron some heavy currents can be bad .6 oncers atleast. A few wire leader rigs for black sea bass / grouper s. Plenty of gallon water for your panga. Tap for your fingers after a week you get cuts always in a crack lol. You ll need coolers to kelep in your truck to bring fish home I only put one on the boat to keep drinks cold they have plenty of ice.

Reactions: peshooter

2GORDOS

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 3, 2007
EL CENTRO
Name
ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
Boat
22 CENTURY,REEL NICE
You’ll need one 2 speed combo with at least 100 lbs braid main line with a 100 to 130 topshot ,grouper rigs and I just take a bunch of 16 oz torpedo sinkers. That’s all you’ll really need you can double up if you have to. One 80 lb combo for yellowtail in the reefs. That’s what the pangueros ask for. Gives you a good chance to land the big yt at San Francisquito. A 60lb trolling combo for trolling for cabrilla. This time of year you’ll be fishing deep you won’t find yt on the surface. If you like to cast , I’d take a lexa400 or a tranx 400 loaded with 80lb braid on a heavy inshore rod for casting into the shallows for cabrilla maybe some wire for leaders. That’s what I enjoy the most the cabrilla fishing. They will kick your ass in shallow water. Lots of fun 20 plus lbs fish. Like bass fishing on steroids. I take 3 of the big Costco style ice chest. The ones with the wheels and the black handles I put them on the boat when I get there and don’t mess with them till we get back on Friday night. If they get a chance they will fillet your catch on the way back to the barn. If not you have to return to pick up your ice chest with your fish. If the fishing is good which it always is. You’ll need the ice chests and room in your freezer when you get home. Get a vacuum sealer ready to pack your fish when you get home. I stay in San Felipe Friday night and head home Saturday I stop at the ice house in town and pack the ice chests with block ice. Keeps the fish longer. That way I don’t have to get home and start processing fish right away. You’ll love the trip. If you need anything special tip the cook when you get on the boat and tell him what you need. He’ll hook it up. Good luck and tight lines.

bajadog

Running around knees bent
May 13, 2005
San Diego
Name
Name
Boat
Yours
Thanks for the information denis, surfgoose, 2gordos.

I am going for the fun, if I catch fish, that's a bonus!:D

Reactions: surfgoose

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Thanks for the information denis, surfgoose, 2gordos.

I am going for the fun, if I catch fish, that's a bonus!:D
don't forget Imodium A D , just in Case
You Need It, and some Mackerel Rigs
and Squid Jigs Too.
down Their You Will Lose A Lot Of Jigs And Sinker's
so Be Prepared
Guy Been Ordering a Lot Of 16 Oz
Sinker From Me Just for that reason.

Last edited:

glass3s

Well-Known "Member"
Jan 31, 2012
San Diego/CA/USA
Name
Glass3s
Boat
Land Ho!!!!
100LB set up, 2 speed reel preferably, for bait soaking.
80LB set up, 2 speed reel preferably, for yoyo.
60 LB set up, lexa/tranx/curado for casting at the rocks.
About 10 16 ounce torpedo weights per person.
6o-8o hooks.
Blue and white salas 6xjrs
Cultsnipers or butterfly jigs - heavy to get to the bottom fast!
Rapalas 25 feet+
Sabikis
About 10 t shirts, preferably light weight. Go to Walmart and get some a jumbo pack of white t shirts; that's what I do.
6-8 pair of shorts, preferably light weight cargo shorts.
Pair of shoes and sandals.
80+ proof sunblock!!!!!!!
Toiletries.
Pillow and light blanket.
2 - 86qt coolers.
Snacks when out on the smaller boats.

I think that's about it!!

2GORDOS

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Aug 3, 2007
EL CENTRO
Name
ALEJANDRO SALAZAR
Boat
22 CENTURY,REEL NICE
All the pangueros ( panga drivers) are good BUT, 1) Beto 2) Israel 3) Comanche 4) George ( fat guy). Beto will most likely be the first one taken. Israel is a man of few words but he gets youbon the fish.