writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Have had this on the bucket list for a while now. After knocking a few things off over the years (Intrepid-Alijos, Success-PV cow safari, Cedros fly-in, Islander-Guadalupe, Rancho Leonero) I only have Excel 10 day, Tony Reyes and Mag Bay left.

So help talk me into, or out of this trip. Is it worth adding to the list? Is the boat comfortable? Is it 'roughing it' compared to SD 5-7 dayers? What time of year is best for surface iron yellows and cabrilla? I prefer that over bait fishing. Is there time and room on board to enjoy a 'vacation' if I don't feel like fishing 24/7? Any spearfishing allowed?

Would love to hear from those who have done it. Especially about best time of year. I have a wide open schedule so can go whenever would be considered prime time. Your thoughts??

Thanks!

Reactions: jowo and Willdoggy
Upvote 0

madrugador

ITS ALL ABOUT THE HUNT
  • Jul 6, 2004
    el cajon
    Name
    chad
    Boat
    26 blackman MADRUGADOR II For sale ,13'6 gregor hoopster
    Boats a little rough compare to san diego boats but not to bad . Great food and crew. over all operation runs smother then some of the boats i have been on out of san diego. I would definently do it again .good times

Reactions: Willdoggy and jsl
    Upvote 0

bajadog

Running around knees bent
    May 13, 2005
    San Diego
    Name
    Name
    Boat
    Yours
    Since you fish an early session and after lunch session
    you can skip either or both.
    If you panga mates (3 plus skipper) are down with spearfishing,
    I've seen it done this past August trip.

Upvote 0

TsTime

May 9, 2006
    IB
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    28' Alblemarle SF Ex
    Tony Reyes Trip:
    Different expierence for sure. Last one I was on was a group trip and limited the group to 18, 2 per panga. 2 per room, made it great. As said above fish as much or little as you like. A bit of a cluster fuck when you get in, unload and the fish cleaning takes place but add some time to your schedule, relax and you will have many memories. The sights, the fishing are great

4.png 5.png 10.png 11.png

Reactions: Captain Juan SQ
    Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
    Nov 7, 2005
    La Costa
    Name
    Chuck G
    Boat
    8' sabot #69
    It is the best bang for your buck as far as fishing goes as far as time on the water fishing. Great views. Limited to yellows, cabrilla, and grouper. No tuna or wahoo. Dorado later in the season. Best trips are in June when the yellows are up top. Later in the year they are down deep and it is alot of work.

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    What’s considered later in the season for Dorado?

What about the La Paz departures... any advantages to that?

Upvote 0

brian 171

Almost A Member
    Jun 10, 2006
    San Diego and Central Coast
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Kayak
    What’s considered later in the season for Dorado?

What about the La Paz departures... any advantages to that?
    The La Paz departures are on the schedule but Tony hasnt ran them in about 10 years. So not really an option.

As said before, best bang for your buck. Its an experience and you get to see alot of coast line not seen by many. Ive been in late October and had phenomenal Yellow fishing on the surface.
    We just got back last week on the April 21-26 trip. Mainly Cabrilla fishing, it was a good fishing but a little slow. Very limited yellowtail action. I would like to try late May-June and September.
    You will have a great time any time you go.
    Cheers

Upvote 0

ZZZZZ

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 11, 2003
    Name
    Boat
    I have only done the midriff island trip along time ago. It was epic and I like the comaudarie back on the big boat.

The views are worth it alone

Go for it. Bring snorkling gear and other under water gear. If you like

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Is the boat comfortable for 27 guys?

Any experts on the seasons and species timing? I'm really interested in pulling cabrilla from the rocks on jigs and surface iron yellows. Don't really want to troll too much and could care less about a grouper.

When should I go?

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    I can do that at some point, but I'm in Thailand currently... be an expensive call. I'm sure a good percentage of the guys who fish it regularly are on this forum. Input will come. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
    Sep 20, 2005
    My Backyard
    Name
    Boat
    toy
    Done the Reyes a few times. One of the best adventures I have ever had. If you like Ponga fishing, this is the way to go. Not to mention the views and the beauty of the Sea of Cortez.

The boat is old, but pretty well maintained. The food is good, and the beer is included and all you want.

IMO, the key to this trip is knowing who your ponga mates are. For me, I wanted to be the first ponga off the mothership every morning, and the last ponga back, and so did my friends who I shared the ponga with. So we got up a little earlier than everyone and were on the water before sunrise.

We also brought our spear guns, and spearfished one of the days.

We also tipped our pongaro (sp?) $100 each, every day for his efforts.

Reactions: ZZZZZ and denis
    Upvote 0

Warlord

Jul 7, 2005
    Granada Hills, CA
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    22' Supreme Wakeboard Boat
    I was on the April 21-26 with an above poster. According to a few of the Tony Reyes veterans onboard, we were a bit early for nicer Cabrilla fishing. Best time is end of May for fish and weather - good fishing and it hasn’t gotten scorching hot as yet.

And Brian, you need to get a WiFi app for phone calls. I used one in Bali a few years ago. It worked great and calls are free.

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Thanks for the trip info. End of May won't work as I won't be back in Murica until July. I don't mind the heat though. I live in Thailand's humidity most of the year and return home usually just in time for AZ's summer.

Everyone I need to talk to has an iPhone. So its free anyway. I tell my family and friends back home 'if you don't have an iPhone you're telling me that you don't really want to talk to me'. It's become a running joke.

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
    Jun 22, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Gerry
    Boat
    One that floats
    Thanks for the trip info. End of May won't work as I won't be back in Murica until July. I don't mind the heat though. I live in Thailand's humidity most of the year and return home usually just in time for AZ's summer.

Everyone I need to talk to has an iPhone. So its free anyway. I tell my family and friends back home 'if you don't have an iPhone you're telling me that you don't really want to talk to me'. It's become a running joke.
    On these Tony Reye's trips, you will go through
    a lot of sinkers and jigs.
    I did like five of them years ago,
    and our guide lost eight 6X heavy's in
    one day, just saying

Upvote 0

sdrepairman

Jul 2, 2012
    san diego
    Name
    nick
    Boat
    n/a
    From what I have heard
    For the best surface action you will want to go in October
    That’s generally when the water is cool enough that the fish come up in the water and eat on the surface
    When I went before it was in June and very hot most of the fish were on the bottom
    So a lot of yo yo fishing
    And like others have said it’s the best bang for your buck

Upvote 0

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
    Mar 2, 2006
    Colorado
    Name
    denis
    Boat
    deadhead luees
    I used to go on there web and go back years to see what they catch weekly ,I’ve gone 25 or so years middle of June

Reactions: Blackfish
    Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    From what I have heard
    For the best surface action you will want to go in October
    That’s generally when the water is cool enough that the fish come up in the water and eat on the surface
    When I went before it was in June and very hot most of the fish were on the bottom
    So a lot of yo yo fishing
    And like others have said it’s the best bang for your buck

October is actually very good timing for me. I know yellows are there pretty much year round. But are the Cabrilla very seasonal?

Upvote 0

denis

Deadhead lures Owner
    Mar 2, 2006
    Colorado
    Name
    denis
    Boat
    deadhead luees
    I agree. Brian I’ve just had good luck on cabrilla. And white seabass at the end of June. Yellows of coarse. Last June in la bay. We destroyed. Them-with juan on irons. A blast casting they hit hard. . I’m not saying it’s the only time just my experience I’ll be back there last week in June again

Upvote 0