Tony Pena

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by hot tuna, May 10, 2014.

1. rickberg

rickberg Member

Name:
    rickberg
    Boat:
    17 montauk bostin whaler
    A knot you can tie without a bunch of tools.

2. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    What about one you can tie after a couple of cocktails? ;) The one about when you're tired and dehydrated, you need to take a break, not retie and keep fishing.

3. Scold

Scold Yes, that's my back.

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    N/A :(
    Blasphemy!!!

4. rickberg

rickberg Member

Name:
    rickberg
    Boat:
    17 montauk bostin whaler
    You need to learn the "hurry knot". When done right it joins mono to spectra in 30 seconds. No tools, just need to trim your tags and your fishing.

5. yessokk

yessokk Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Walt
    Boat:
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    I know this is a minor issue but the engineer in me got curious so I researched the hard facts of the matter.
    Water at 65 deg. F has a specific gravity about .99 Spectra has a specific gravity of about .97 so
    stickly speaking Spectra is slightly less dense then water. In fact the difference is so little that to say it
    is neutrally boyant under real life fishing conditions can certainly be a working premise.

Walt

6. Scold

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    I wonder how well this would work: I tied a Pena behind an aluminum sato crimp. I burned a knob on the flouro end and then flattened the edge of the bulb where the spectra comes out so it won't damage the spectra. I crimped it with regular swages, not the sato crimper. 100# braid to 130 flouro. Probably about as stealth as it could get.

[​IMG]

7. bigfishsato

bigfishsato bigfishsato

Name:
    Garry
    Boat:
    None
    Why the crimp? The picture looks like the crimp would hang up coming back through the guides. Looks like you smashed the
    c--p out of it. Also, the aluminum will corrode after a while. I don't think you need the crimp if you do the knot or you won't need the knot if you use a brass crimp done properly.

Garry

8. Scold

Name:
    Jon
    Boat:
    I used an aluminum crimp cause its what I had lying around and I'm not gonna waste a brass crimp on this experiment.

The crimp is way smaller than a double overhand/uni hence why I thought I'd give it a try

Yes you won't need the knot if you crimp with hollow spectra, this is for solid spectra.

How could it hang up more than a PR or Sebile knot or a regular Pena? All have tags/knobs of mono parallel with the braid.

I did crimp too hard.

9. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I think that is one heck of an idea, presuming you wanted to swage. If it was the correct crimp, it would definitely be slimmer than any knot.

But Jon, I don't think it's necessary. Remember that this connection is away from the hook, so you're being stealthy in a place where you don't really need to be. And a Pena with a double overhand has no issue through the guides. Assuming the crimp didn't damage the spectra (I'm not sure about that), it would be as slim a connection as you could invent, but also gilding the lily a bit.

10. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

For me some of the reasons I like the Pena is not needing tools and not costing any $$$ doing this is counter to that……that crimp job is pretty ugly looks like it may cut the spectra…..is the leader inserted into the spectra????

11. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    The beauty of the Pena knot is that it is easy to tie, is fast, takes no other crimps or nail knot. If your going to do all that, just use a loop to loop.

12. tap

tap "The Roving Angler" BD Writer

Name:
    Tony Pena
    Boat:
    n/a
    Just a note: When I was experimenting with this knot I was trying to get a solid connection for the "new" super braids or spectra coming on the market which it does a fine job on with most monofilaments. Heavy Flourocarbon? Not so good because flouro is stiffer than most monos and to make a low profile single or double overhand is more difficult when you get above 100 lb. leader.

sk8ingtuna likes this.
  13. Carl

Carl Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again

Name:
    Carl
    Boat:
    everyone elses
    "less dense then water"

Are your figures based on fresh, or salt water? Salt water is more dense (buoyant) than fresh.

14. yessokk

yessokk Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Walt
    Boat:
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Yes that is a consideration. Salt water is denser having a Specific Gravity of 1.025. Consequently spectra would be
    slightly more buoyant in the salt water. But not enough to make a significant difference.

Walt

15. Rodless_Jim

Rodless_Jim I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Jim
    Boat:
    Strictly a Rider
    I wonder if it feels strange to have a collection of misfit anglers discuss a knot that carries your name? An interesting kind of fame, I imagine...

To respond, obviously it's YOUR knot. You are the last expert who gets to determine if that particular knot is tied correctly or incorrectly. My experience with it, though, is that 130lbs is just about the limit. The double overhand at that point is not exactly "low profile," though it is as low profile as you can get in 130lb fluoro. What I have seen repeatedly, though, is that the knot does not get hung up in the guides. Virtually not at all in ring guides, and even less so in rollers. In 150lb fluoro, I guess it becomes too bulky and potentially problematic. But in 130, it works for me.

And I thank you sincerely for coming up with the knot in the first place. I think it's perfect for connecting braid to mono or fluoro in just about all of my fishing applications.

Fishybuzz likes this.
  16. lowelld

lowelld Member

Name:
    lowell
    Boat:
    bath tub
    When I cinch down my knots--and I really like the TP knot--I will either spit or spray it and then tighten slowly so as not to "burn" the FC or mono. What about the idea of applying a little chap stick (which you most likely would have in your pocket anyway). Do you think it would make the knot slide better to tighten with less friction?

17. rickberg

rickberg Member

Name:
    rickberg
    Boat:
    17 montauk bostin whaler
    Yep folks are using chapstick, the tuna like cherry flavor

18. tap

tap "The Roving Angler" BD Writer

Name:
    Tony Pena
    Boat:
    n/a
    Chapstick may help with the heavy fluoro but too much could also make the overhand "slip" under pressure I would think. That's something to experiment with. As you know the knot can get a little "bumpy" with heavy mono or flouro but adding a little glue helps smooth out the profile and protects it from many trips through the guides.

Jim, I don't care if guys use the knot or criticize it. It's not like I'm getting paid for it. I will say that I've taught a lot of mates in Panama how to tie it and they seem to appreciate it.

Workplacesafety likes this.
  19. Abaco

Abaco Member

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    The Organ
    Hey Steve! Get some cows. If you have too much for your freezer my house is on your way home. I'll help out with my freezer.

20. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid

Exactly….no one is forcing any one to use the TP knot……just another option……one that I like more than the chinese finger knot insert method…..but that's just my choice and it works great for me.

Workplacesafety likes this.