Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    The real question is how much are they charging for beer?!?!?!? i'm on a 2.5 dayer in a couple of week and need to figure out if i need to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house!
    If I was you, I wouldn't want to know how much a beer cost!! All it will do is get you even more pissed off!!!!! Just go on your trip and have a good trip and deal with the cost later.

Upvote 0

Dolt Sniper

Almost A Member
    Sep 17, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Jesus
    Boat Name
    None
    Did they explain why they cancelled the trip?
    They were "waiting on a part".

I understand things happen but guys were pissed it was cancelled outright instead of waiting for "the part"(we weren't scheduled to get back for 3 more nights, after all). Others were mad they had to drive back(a big group to Arizona, some other guys to Ventura, my buddies and I to LA)or get a hotel and not offered the opportunity to spend the night on the boat. I was ticked we weren't told from the get that there *may* be an issue as some of us were lined up for a few hours, drinking beers, looking forward to our annual 2.5 day trip.

That was the previous captain and crew so can't blame the current guys for that but the food and fish cleaning prices does make me wonder if there's a correlation between last year's issues.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

beerman1

Jul 14, 2014
    OC
    Name
    eric
    Boat Name
    triumph 17 CC
    Such a shame. I rode the Tamahawk once since the old owner sold.. Different for sure, but it's been 2 years ago. They still had the soda fountain. The Eclipse owner (Bruce?) had the best food in the fleet. I've spent an hour trying to find photos ,but came up blank. Caught alot of fish on that boat.

Reactions: breaking wind
    Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
    murrieta ca usa
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name
    18 aquasport breakingwind
    Such a shame. I rode the Tamahawk once since the old owner sold.. Different for sure, but it's been 2 years ago. They still had the soda fountain. The Eclipse owner (Bruce?) had the best food in the fleet. I've spent an hour trying to find photos ,but came up blank. Caught alot of fish on that boat.
    great platform to fish! kinda went downhill. im happy to pay a little more with less people, miss the soda fountain!
    i dont drink much soda, but the fitered water and ice was nice! eric the owner said it was a pain. im good to pay a bit more for these amenities! defenitely seeing that with smaller boats. foutune, , pacific dawn etc. maybe not there business model! i wish them the best!!

Upvote 0

Jan 20, 2022
    San Diego
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat Name
    none
    Wasn't it Marc Gilliet and his business partner that owned the Eclipse and another boat (forgot the name) and they were caught and plead guilty for intentionally sinking the boat that I can't remember its name.

Reactions: irob2
    Upvote 0

slixx1320

• Jul 2, 2015
    Name
    Randy
    Boat Name
    NA
    Someone on FB posted about their trip a day or two ago about a fire that started down in the engine room and lost the bait tank at the bow, then few hours later the generator went down and they lost all power but the crew managed to get it back up and running. Seems as if this boat needs maintenance before it can go out safely. Fish or no fish, safety should be their #1 concern.

• Wow
    Reactions: Tom123 and ChoeMan
    Upvote 0

ChoeMan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 28, 2007
    OC
    Name
    ChoeMan
    Boat Name
    Never
    Wasn't it Marc Gilliet and his business partner that owned the Eclipse and another boat (forgot the name) and they were caught and plead guilty for intentionally sinking the boat that I can't remember its name.
    Was it by chance called the "champ"

Upvote 0

ernie_kru

Dec 21, 2011
    AV
    Name
    Ernie
    Boat Name
    n/a
    I had a trip a week and a half ago, was going to post up something similar. Anyway, way below average food for way too much money. The crew had a young kid who was not good, kind of crabby. They also had a brand new kid who didn't know too much but tried. Last on deck was a middle aged temp guy who kicked butt.

The boat has such weird rules.. There's two hand wells port and starboard on each bait tank. There's also two wells aft on each tank. For some reason, they wouldn't fill any aft wells and they'd only fill the hand wells on the side of the boat that we'd start the drift on. This resulted in 30 guys trying to get baits out of 2 hand wells.

Also, my son who is 10 had a nice dorado on and had been fighting it for a couple of minutes. The fish made a quick change of direction and got him in a tangle with some slack lines and another fish. He came back to me bummed that a deckhand had cut his line... WHAT?? I've never had a deckhand cut a line with a fish. Sure, slack line.. cut away.

Dinner was frozen lasagna that was cold (they had a weird way of serving food.. kept everyone out of the galley and plated all food and put it out on the tables). Anyway, by the time everyone sat the food was cold in the breeze of the galley. $4 for a small water bottle is robbery. Breakfast, lunch and dinner for my son and I plus fish cleaning and fuel surcharge was ridiculous!

There's way too many boats that are better in every regard (food, snacks, deckhands, bathrooms, state rooms, sitting areas, etc) that I think I'll knock the tomahawk off my list of boats.

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none
    Someone on FB posted about their trip a day or two ago about a fire that started down in the engine room and lost the bait tank at the bow, then few hours later the generator went down and they lost all power but the crew managed to get it back up and running. Seems as if this boat needs maintenance before it can go out safely. Fish or no fish, safety should be their #1 concern.
    On a recent trip? Mechanically everything ran fine for us..

Upvote 0

odnealtim

Jun 21, 2008
    pahrump nv
    Name
    tim
    Boat Name
    22 advantage
    I had a trip a week and a half ago, was going to post up something similar. Anyway, way below average food for way too much money. The crew had a young kid who was not good, kind of crabby. They also had a brand new kid who didn't know too much but tried. Last on deck was a middle aged temp guy who kicked butt.

The boat has such weird rules.. There's two hand wells port and starboard on each bait tank. There's also two wells aft on each tank. For some reason, they wouldn't fill any aft wells and they'd only fill the hand wells on the side of the boat that we'd start the drift on. This resulted in 30 guys trying to get baits out of 2 hand wells.

Also, my son who is 10 had a nice dorado on and had been fighting it for a couple of minutes. The fish made a quick change of direction and got him in a tangle with some slack lines and another fish. He came back to me bummed that a deckhand had cut his line... WHAT?? I've never had a deckhand cut a line with a fish. Sure, slack line.. cut away.

Dinner was frozen lasagna that was cold (they had a weird way of serving food.. kept everyone out of the galley and plated all food and put it out on the tables). Anyway, by the time everyone sat the food was cold in the breeze of the galley. $4 for a small water bottle is robbery. Breakfast, lunch and dinner for my son and I plus fish cleaning and fuel surcharge was ridiculous!

There's way too many boats that are better in every regard (food, snacks, deckhands, bathrooms, state rooms, sitting areas, etc) that I think I'll knock the tomahawk off my list of boats.
    Great,,,,jumped on a last minute charter over labor day,,,after reading all the bad reviews lately of this boat not looking forward to this trip as much as I was,,,thanks for the honest report,guys need to step up and tell it how it was more often

Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
    murrieta ca usa
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name

hopefuly they see these reviews and correct some of the issues? had great trips with gillete -eclipise crew! and then , new owner eric!
    not sure if eric still owns it or went to gamester? the other owner? anyway see how it goes! looking forward to a bunch of fall fishing!

Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
    murrieta ca usa
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name
    hopefuly they see these reviews and correct some of the issues? had great trips with gillete -eclipise crew! and then , new owner eric!
    not sure if eric still owns it or went to gamester? the other owner? anyway see how it goes! looking forward to a bunch of fall fishing!
    commander deal didnt go down well!! was going to say no pun intended!! but it floated! pretty sure a bunch of you
    guys will get what im saying!

• Haha
    Reactions: Dolt Sniper
    Upvote 0

fishingwolf

Jun 8, 2015
    Dana Point
    Name
    Fishingwolf
    Boat Name
    Millie
    ait goes under the boat and does a couple of loops with his spectra around my floro leader. At this point I'm yelling, the deckhand is yellin
    There were many new folks onboard, I felt sorry for them (until they cost me 6 fish throughout the day:oops:). I can't remember the last time I had to retie a set up so many times due losing fish in tangles. God bless those folks not listening to the crew.😂

I feel you on this statement. After so many trips I've come to terms with it and firmly believe that on most trips there are 5 or 6 people who's only objective on the trip is to F everyone else up. Yes, they are usually inexperienced and god bless them they always seem to find the person with a nice fish being brought in close to the end game. On my last trip, among the other fish they cost me, was a nice triple digit BFT. I got tired of the mess in the back of the boat, went to the front and hooked a larger fish that was nice enough to stay in the bow the entire 45 minute fight. As soon as I yelled for a gaff, three inexperienced guys run to the front of the boat and try to drop their bait directly in front of me. I convinced two not to drop, the third goes from the port side of the boat to the starboard side (outside of my view) and drops his bait. At this point I'm at leader and the captain is calling for a second gaff. Guess what? yup you guessed it! His bait goes under the boat and does a couple of loops with his spectra around my floro leader. At this point I'm yelling, the deckhand is yelling, two other spectators are yelling, and the captain is yelling over the speaker not to pull while the deckhand attempts to untangle the leader. As soon as the deckhand grabs his spectra the poor soul starts to frantically pull on his rod while yelling "Hook-up" and there goes the nice fish. The sad part is that he was still not convinced and swore up and down that he had a fish on.

I took two deep breaths, padded him on the shoulder, congratulated him on the fish he almost had, got a nice cold beer, went to the top deck and enjoyed the moment while I caught my breath. Fun times

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none
    I will be one of the newbie on the party boat. What advise do you have? It would be my first trip.
    With your willingness to simply ask, you will do great. Biggest thing is to follow your line. Always keep your line directly in front of you, and always keep it tight, never slack. If you can't feel tension on your line, it's likely tangled up with someone. Take the extra few moments to pick a healthy, lively bait. If he doesn't race away from the boat instantly, immediately change him out. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Reactions: 7emptsT
    Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none
    Great,,,,jumped on a last minute charter over labor day,,,after reading all the bad reviews lately of this boat not looking forward to this trip as much as I was,,,thanks for the honest report,guys need to step up and tell it how it was more often
    Just to be clear: For my trip, service, crew, getting us on fish- they did a great job. It was just the pricing that I had issues with.

Upvote 0

slixx1320

• Jul 2, 2015
    Name
    Randy
    Boat Name
    NA
    I will be one of the newbie on the party boat. What advise do you have? It would be my first trip.

With your willingness to simply ask, you will do great. Biggest thing is to follow your line. Always keep your line directly in front of you, and always keep it tight, never slack. If you can't feel tension on your line, it's likely tangled up with someone. Take the extra few moments to pick a healthy, lively bait. If he doesn't race away from the boat instantly, immediately change him out. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    This right here is solid advice! Those that many new anglers don't adhere too.

Wind in your face, you're in the right place!

Upvote 0

500BBC

Almost A Member
    Oct 19, 2007
    LA
    Name
    Brad
    Boat Name
    19' Schiada, Neighborhood Menace
    Tell the deckhand you're a newb, give them a small starting "tip", listen to them and do exactly what they say and tell them to sound you if you're not following protocol.

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
  • Apr 5, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
    Great advice! If you can safely cast your strong bait out away from the boat away from everyone else, the more likely you will be picked up. Avoid casting into groups.

Upvote 0

dodocowboy

Aug 25, 2022
    WY
    Name
    Cody Eardley
    Great advice! If you can safely cast your strong bait out away from the boat away from everyone else, the more likely you will be picked up. Avoid casting into groups.
    Thanks for posting all the noob advice guys. I am going out on the Tomahawk on the 2.5 day in a couple weeks and I'm excited. I've only been out on 3/4 day trips. Do they fish at night on these long trips? Is it fun? Sounds fun!

Upvote 0

mhanson59hb

Fear No Fish
  • Apr 22, 2013
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Mike
    Boat Name
    2008 Trophy 1802 "Mako My Day"
    $200 food/fuel plan? I better not get spaghetti with no meatballs and a slice of wonder bread one night and dried out pork loin the other night for dinner (which actually happened to me on one trip).

Now I'll pack a bag of Jack Links, Snickers, Granola bars and Tito's Handmade Vodka. Eat regular when I rotate back to the real world.

Upvote 0