Offshore Tomahawk Overnight 8-19-22

MattFred1414

• Jan 3, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    Matt
    Boat Name
    20ft Skeeter Zx20Bay
    I fished the tomohawk may or June on a 1.5 day and the result was the same except we didn’t catch fish. There was a guy on the boat who didn’t know he was hooked up until I told him then put the reel in gear for him.

Got in a few big tangles and guys cut my line thinking it was there’s. I’ll probably just stick to my long range trips or ride the 1.5 day boats I really enjoy.

And that was the most expensive galley tan I’ve ever had

Jan 20, 2022
    San Diego
    Name
    Jerry
    Boat Name
    none
    $4.00 for a bottle of water!!!! $20.00 for a hamburger!!! ARE YOU KIDDING??? Were they charging for the oxygen?
    I have never seen, heard or experienced a 1/2 day, overnight or long range boat with the balls to charge those prices.

WHAT A RIP OFF. Good to know and for anglers to hear before they get into a situation with already being committed to going on that Thanks for posting that information.
    What a bunch of thieves , seriously.

hronk

Almost A Member
    Jul 26, 2005
    Bishop
    Name
    Bob
    Boat Name
    19' Tracker
    There were many new folks onboard, I felt sorry for them (until they cost me 6 fish throughout the day:oops:). I can't remember the last time I had to retie a set up so many times due losing fish in tangles. God bless those folks not listening to the crew.😂

I feel you on this statement. After so many trips I've come to terms with it and firmly believe that on most trips there are 5 or 6 people who's only objective on the trip is to F everyone else up. Yes, they are usually inexperienced and god bless them they always seem to find the person with a nice fish being brought in close to the end game. On my last trip, among the other fish they cost me, was a nice triple digit BFT. I got tired of the mess in the back of the boat, went to the front and hooked a larger fish that was nice enough to stay in the bow the entire 45 minute fight. As soon as I yelled for a gaff, three inexperienced guys run to the front of the boat and try to drop their bait directly in front of me. I convinced two not to drop, the third goes from the port side of the boat to the starboard side (outside of my view) and drops his bait. At this point I'm at leader and the captain is calling for a second gaff. Guess what? yup you guessed it! His bait goes under the boat and does a couple of loops with his spectra around my floro leader. At this point I'm yelling, the deckhand is yelling, two other spectators are yelling, and the captain is yelling over the speaker not to pull while the deckhand attempts to untangle the leader. As soon as the deckhand grabs his spectra the poor soul starts to frantically pull on his rod while yelling "Hook-up" and there goes the nice fish. The sad part is that he was still not convinced and swore up and down that he had a fish on.

I took two deep breaths, padded him on the shoulder, congratulated him on the fish he almost had, got a nice cold beer, went to the top deck and enjoyed the moment while I caught my breath. Fun times !
    You are a better man than me!

Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
    murrieta ca usa
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name
    18 aquasport breakingwind
    Howdy all,
    Haven't had too much to report this season, but here we go. This report is mainly for anyone that is wondering about the Tomahawk. As for the fishing, anything I share is a repeat of what we all have been seeing the last several weeks. I got on this trip last minute, a young Navy buddy who is leaving town wanted to try offshore fishing once before he left.

Fishing intel:
    The boat had limited out on YT and nabbed around 35 Mahi the trip before us on a kelp off of Ensenada that they had marked with a beacon, so the plan was to run 60 miles and fish it at dawn. Weather was pretty sporty the first half the day, lots of chumming the water. There were many new folks onboard, I felt sorry for them (until they cost me 6 fish throughout the day:oops:). I can't remember the last time I had to retie a set up so many times due losing fish in tangles. God bless those folks not listening to the crew.😂
    We hit the kelp just after sunrise and pulled three drifts on it. Good action right out the gate. I hooked a really nice bull first cast on bait and handed it off to my buddy just in case the trip was slow. We pulled roughly 50 YT, 19 Mahi off of that one. size for both was decent, some 5lbrs, but mostly 5-18lb fish. Some really nice bulls and hens were pulled throughout the morning. We found another kelp with the same action around 11:00 AM to round our count to 80 YT, 29 Mahi. Also had a random blind strike for three baby YFT. All in all a great haul for an overnighter. There wasn't any other boats in the area.

My buddy managed a nice mahi, and three YT. I kept my two biggest Mahi, and tagged my biggest YT and gave everything else away.

Gear:
    We fished 30lb mono, 1/0 & 2/0 J hooks the entire time on Calstar 800M with Fathom 15-25 size reels. I tried snipers & surface irons with no luck, they wanted live bait.

Boat:
    First time on the Tomahawk. The captain was a relief captain, didn't catch his name. Solid work on his end, patient with all the inexperienced people. Crew was short, 2 men on deck but they were very responsive and did the best they could with 30 people to deal with. I gaffed two of my buddy's fish when it was super busy, no big deal, these two guys were hustling.

The boat is decent, wide bunks, average galley, tight fishing space on the stern. It rocks quite a bit in weather. Biggest critique was the costs. $15 for B-fast burrito, and a whopping $20 for a burger, I passed on both. They were charging $4 for water & $10 for all day coffee as well. Part of me wondered if this may have been their way of compensating for poor tipping? Just a thought. I would fish it again in a pinch. Had I ate/drank onboard I estimate that from fuel surcharge-fillet costs I would have dropped $130.00 before tipping, that's pretty intense for an overnight boat.

Again, on the fishing side they were super solid, but If I hop on again, I will bring all my own food/drinks. Nothing they cooked or offered was worth that much $.

Attached is a few shots of our Mahi, the YT were all around 10lbs.

View attachment 1415202

View attachment 1415203
    use to me favorite boat, back in the day! eclipse and early days of tomahawk! great platform!! wide enough so people can
    pass by getting tackle ready, fighting a fish etc! double wide bunks! amazing food! great crew! i think it was 26 people if not
    less? got a 160lb in 2016

Reactions: FCA and Abusaade
    Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none
    So I love the boat itself, I used to ride it when it was the Eclipse, very comfy. Dave fishes hard. I was sad to see the soda fountain is no more. But yeah the most expensive soda/water. Also they charged 28 dollars for dinner and it was pasta and meatballs, I would have gladly paid that for a chop or steak, ended up getting it assuming that’s what they usually have and they would adjust accordingly for pasta and meatballs, nope.

Also they charge you if you need a mono top shot ( 8 dollars?). I had 60, 80 and 130, but I wanted 100, it’s the first time I’ve ever been charged. For a 1.5, the fuel sure charge was 60/person (probably most were charging 40). I was taking a friend so I ended up covering both.

In their defense they do have the prices listed, even the price for top shot which I saw later in the galley. If they hid the prices I probably would have been mad, but nevertheless since their prices are way higher than any in the fleet it just gives me pause.
    Agreed, at those prices it would actually cost less per day on a long range boat.

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none
    There were many new folks onboard, I felt sorry for them (until they cost me 6 fish throughout the day:oops:). I can't remember the last time I had to retie a set up so many times due losing fish in tangles. God bless those folks not listening to the crew.😂

I feel you on this statement. After so many trips I've come to terms with it and firmly believe that on most trips there are 5 or 6 people who's only objective on the trip is to F everyone else up. Yes, they are usually inexperienced and god bless them they always seem to find the person with a nice fish being brought in close to the end game. On my last trip, among the other fish they cost me, was a nice triple digit BFT. I got tired of the mess in the back of the boat, went to the front and hooked a larger fish that was nice enough to stay in the bow the entire 45 minute fight. As soon as I yelled for a gaff, three inexperienced guys run to the front of the boat and try to drop their bait directly in front of me. I convinced two not to drop, the third goes from the port side of the boat to the starboard side (outside of my view) and drops his bait. At this point I'm at leader and the captain is calling for a second gaff. Guess what? yup you guessed it! His bait goes under the boat and does a couple of loops with his spectra around my floro leader. At this point I'm yelling, the deckhand is yelling, two other spectators are yelling, and the captain is yelling over the speaker not to pull while the deckhand attempts to untangle the leader. As soon as the deckhand grabs his spectra the poor soul starts to frantically pull on his rod while yelling "Hook-up" and there goes the nice fish. The sad part is that he was still not convinced and swore up and down that he had a fish on.

I took two deep breaths, padded him on the shoulder, congratulated him on the fish he almost had, got a nice cold beer, went to the top deck and enjoyed the moment while I caught my breath. Fun times !
    I feel your pain, with these big tuna so close to home it's inevitable that half of the battle is going to be with inexperienced anglers who will not cooperate. There was more than one occasion where I had to physically grab someones rod, and untangle it off of my while my fighting fish:oops:

Reactions: Mr. DRE
    Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none
    I fished the tomohawk may or June on a 1.5 day and the result was the same except we didn’t catch fish. There was a guy on the boat who didn’t know he was hooked up until I told him then put the reel in gear for him.

Got in a few big tangles and guys cut my line thinking it was there’s. I’ll probably just stick to my long range trips or ride the 1.5 day boats I really enjoy.

And that was the most expensive galley tan I’ve ever had
    Agreed, this was a last minute decision to try and get a young navy friend on some of our fishery before he ships out.

Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
    murrieta ca usa
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name
    use to me favorite boat, back in the day! eclipse and early days of tomahawk! great platform!! wide enough so people can
    pass by getting tackle ready, fighting a fish etc! double wide bunks! amazing food! great crew! i think it was 26 people if not
    less? got a 160lb in 2016
    seems like more people on the boat, took away the soda and ice machine, happy to pay. not a deal breaker! ive had great trips
    on this boat! fishing is fishing, sometimes its slow! john the nut bag cook ! , didnt help either! pretty sure hes gone!! we have choices! plenty of boats to chose! im looking forwards to the fall. got trips lined up! tomahawk isnt one of them!! just my perspective!

Reactions: 5152
    Upvote 0

Abusaade

Aug 22, 2010
    Compton, Ca
    Name
    Ahmad
    Boat Name
    none
    I tend to agree with most that a short trip on a LR boat is ideally the best choices. Comfort ride, state rooms, good food and they have a great idea where to fish .

Reactions: 5152
    Upvote 0

breaking wind

Jun 28, 2009
    murrieta ca usa
    Name
    mark
    Boat Name
    seems like more people on the boat, took away the soda and ice machine, happy to pay. not a deal breaker! ive had great trips
    on this boat! fishing is fishing, sometimes its slow! john the nut bag cook ! , didnt help either! pretty sure hes gone!! we have choices! plenty of boats to chose! im looking forwards to the fall. got trips lined up! tomahawk isnt one of them!! just my perspective!
    just freeze a bunch of waters! i do this on all trips, even 3 day trips!! didnt realize water was $4 yikes. thought $ 2 recently?

Upvote 0

popx5

Jun 27, 2008
    7000'
    Name
    Tom
    Boat Name
    Montauk
    Loved the boat when it was the renegade and Doug Reed was running it. Tried it a couple times after Doug lost it and it became 5ge Eclipse. Wasn’t the same to me and hav3nt been back.

Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat Name
    Private
    I feel your pain, with these big tuna so close to home it's inevitable that half of the battle is going to be with inexperienced anglers who will not cooperate. There was more than one occasion where I had to physically grab someones rod, and untangle it off of my while my fighting fish:oops:
    Yup happens, on the previous trip wide open yellow tail action I had 5 other fish wrapped up on mine. I handed my rod with fish in tow to the person next to me and hand wound one fish at a time to gaff. As soon as the deck hand gaffed it I cut it at leader, slipped that knot out and move on to the next one. After hand winding the 5th one I reeled in mine luckily without any mishaps. Saved all six fish. Fun times.

Upvote 0

Kevin A

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    $4.00 for a bottle of water!!!! $20.00 for a hamburger!!! ARE YOU KIDDING??? Were they charging for the oxygen?
    I have never seen, heard or experienced a 1/2 day, overnight or long range boat with the balls to charge those prices.

WHAT A RIP OFF. Good to know and for anglers to hear before they get into a situation with already being committed to going on that Thanks for posting that information.
    What a bunch of thieves , seriously.
    How much was a double burger?? $35.00?

Upvote 0

Kevin A

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat Name
    25' aqua sport
    Unless the galley is rented out to a third party the money goes to the boat not the tip jar. As in the end they had a tip jar when you settled up correct. I fish the Hawk several times good boat but the fish cleaning 7 dollars for a 6 pound doodoo is crazy. They are so busy why gouge the passengers just my thought

Unless the galley is rented out to a third party the money goes to the boat not the tip jar. As in the end they had a tip jar when you settled up correct. I fish the Hawk several times good boat but the fish cleaning 7 dollars for a 6 pound doodoo is crazy. They are so busy why gouge the passengers just my thoughts
    With those prices. Maybe Billy K, Leases the galley.

Upvote 0

fishnfoool

May 17, 2013
    long beach
    Name
    Tony Nguyen
    Boat Name
    fishkillr
    Seriously!! What is wrong with this boat? The previous captain calls people out for not tipping as much as he'd like and now food higher than football stadium prices?

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

7emptsT

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jul 23, 2021
    California
    Name
    Tyson
    Boat Name
    Kayaks

Holly crap, i would have been fairly well pissed off. As others have said your a better man than I am, I would not have been as friendly.

Upvote 0

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Brian
    Boat Name
    none
    I
    Jeez, those prices are crazy, guess they have to pay for the split bow somehow...was looking at going on that boat again after the Capt. change but I reckon I'll stay off now.
    I want to be really fair, the fishing, crew service etc. was excellent. Based on that I would ride again, but I would just bring my own food/drinks. But I hear you, it could be a deal breaker for some folks.

Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat Name
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    Sounds like a good trip. Currently you pay $10 for a burrito and $15 for a burger at a restaurant. Cost of food is raising rapidly.

Reactions: bdubs73
    Upvote 0

odh33

Almost A Member
    Dec 16, 2004
    so cal
    Name
    Dan Hernandez
    Boat Name
    n/a
    The real question is how much are they charging for beer?!?!?!? i'm on a 2.5 dayer in a couple of week and need to figure out if i need to take out a 2nd mortgage on my house!

Upvote 0

Dolt Sniper

Sep 17, 2021
    LA
    Name
    Jesus
    Boat Name
    None
    Jeez, those prices are crazy, guess they have to pay for the split bow somehow...was looking at going on that boat again after the Capt. change but I reckon I'll stay off now.

Yup. And about a month prior to the split bow they left us high and dry while we were about to board for a 2.5 day trip on Labor Day weekend. 750 a pop (if I remember correctly)times 25 some odd heads is a a good chunk of loot.

I understand they have bills to pay but $15 breakfast burritos and $20 burgers doesn't strike me as a wise move.

Upvote 0

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kub
    Boat Name
    17' Gregor
    Yup. And about a month prior to the split bow they left us high and dry while we were about to board for a 2.5 day trip on Labor Day weekend. 750 a pop (if I remember correctly)times 25 some odd heads is a a good chunk of loot.

I understand they have bills to pay but $15 breakfast burritos and $20 burgers doesn't strike me as a wise move.
    Did they explain why they cancelled the trip?

Upvote 0