Tomahawk 2.5 Day Killing Spree

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Tomahawk Sportfishing, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Tomahawk Sportfishing

Tomahawk Sportfishing Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Tomahawk Sportfishing
    Boat:
    Tomahawk
    B90BAFED-AC3E-4AA6-9614-099F063983F7.jpeg 98F55488-409F-410E-89EE-0D03A284DFB4.jpeg 0FD820F1-44F6-43B5-BFB8-EC6BECE0A905.jpeg 219E9F81-1CC2-4861-83B1-398779616287.jpeg 04C4A57A-F42C-492E-8284-655257BC7D02.jpeg A09BCDAB-52FB-4320-85AE-486F77D4E5BA.jpeg Wrapped up our 2.5 day Fishing Syndicate - Quality Custom & Factory Rods sponsored trip with 58 yellowfin tuna, 2 bluefin tuna, 62 yellowtail and 1 lonely bonito. Fun group of anglers and great time trying out the sponsors rods and watching Oliver Solis lose his mind when yellowfin would blow up on his popper. Excellent fishing with tuna caught trollling, on live bait and on poppers and surface irons. We’re already talking about making this an annual trip around 4th of July!

We have an ultra-limited load (20) 2 day trip leaving this Friday. Only 5 spots left and the fish are biting!! 60-220# bluefin, hungry schools of 15-25# yellowfin, chunky kelp paddy yellowtail even some dorado making a showing. Great time to go!!

https://tomahawk.fishingreservations.net/sales/

2. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass
  3. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    NIce load of fish guys! Can't wait to get on em in week. LOL. Fishy boat that!

4. Bold #7

Bold #7 Member

Name:
    dave
    Boat:
    parker
    some small YFT in the grouping

5. Whalebreath

Whalebreath Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Carl Z
    Boat:
    Somewhere a vegan is crying himself to sleep.......:nopity:

6. Fins in the Bin

Fins in the Bin Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    used to fish
    Boat:
    50 Silverton
    YEEEEHAAAA normal tuna!!!! I will trade you 3 years of Bluefin for 1 day of yellowfin every day of the week! Footballs on bass gear is my favorite kind!

7. King Halibut

King Halibut BigBoy

Name:
    Dave
    Boat:
    none
    BD’ers,

I’m going to jack this thread, it was my first trip on this boat and I was impressed to say the least.
    Found plenty of fish to pull on, crew was top notch shout out to Mikey and El Dropo!
    Cook John served some good grub and the captain was all over it, he was on the deck when we found fish gaffing everything within reach!
    Co owner Stan rode with us, nice guy and runs a great operation.
    They have a few extra wide bunks and they more than accommodate my fat ass.
    Oh yea, the guys from Fishing Syndicate Rods chartered this trip Oliver an Frank are really good guys. I even won of the rods they raffled.........sweet stick!
    Ride this boat they run a great operation!
    KH

8. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Village idiot

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    Invader CC - Bottom Line
    I second this! I was on the trip and was quite impressed all the way around with this operation!

9. Tomahawk Sportfishing

Tomahawk Sportfishing Advertiser Advertiser

Name:
    Tomahawk Sportfishing
    Boat:
    Tomahawk
    Man, you'd think we were paying people for these reviews!!LOL Dave & Steve, it was great fishin with you guys. We'd love to have you back any time!!

On behalf of the entire Tomahawk crew/operation, we are very thankful for each of our guests that spend their hard earned money and their time fishing with us. We're humbled by your kind words...it keeps the fire burning to be the best we can be.

10. RideHPD

RideHPD Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie

Name:
    Eric Marin
    Boat:
    10' Model T
    ¡El Dropo se mueve suavemente encima del tanque de cebo!

Well I was going to post a report, but I guess I'm slow to the draw.

I'll add a couple things from the fishing perspective. Mike drove while Jeff was out with food poisoning, and nothing changed. Mike really knows what he's doing, and it's a bit of a bummer he has to sleep most of the day on normal trips.

Yellows on the bushes, meter marks or birds/foam/couple breezers for tuna. Small hooks for tuna, not too line-shy, they'd eat a hot bait on 30lb no problem, I never found a bait I would've bet my soul on getting bit the times I had my 40lb in-hand. A few tuna on the soak, most bit right at the boat (as YFT should be) if you put the bait where they were coming up in the spread or chum, whichever it was at the time.

Foamers came with the wind and there were plenty, it was a very similar progression as it has been with the bluefin around the southern zone the last month or so, just smaller size patches. Popper bites seemed to come on the scattered boils and blind casts, when they had bait balled up iron or any sinking steady medium-fast retrieve lure was the call. Color didn't matter, they bit. Some fish on the squish jigs when they sunk out, none on flat falls, and a bunch of the YFT were stuffed with baby squid.

I'll be honest, I was bummed we didn't fish bluefin, (with the group we had it was the right call, lot of people inexperienced with tuna fishing and couldn't handle 20#ers, let alone 200#ers), but if I had gone elsewhere and even finally boated a c-note+, a part of me still would've been pretty bummed that I missed this. The crew treat each other more like family than coworkers, and each trip feels more like a reunion, but not with that family you're trying to escape by going fishing. On top of that Johnny's cooking is by far better than any other boat running similar trip lengths, and when you consider a meal plan or individual meals on other boats will run you ~$50/day, there's no cost difference to get eggs Benedict and ceviche instead of a breakfast burrito and a burger. If you haven't ridden this boat yet, it's definitely worth it.

And not all the yellowfin were babies, there were some 25-30 class, like this one next to the JRI 3 it bit. 20180704_150707.jpg