Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
Went with Mad Mike on his Parker again.
We had a similar plan to the previous run.
Run south out of Dana to the 209 and beyond
This time, we were able to make out Macks!
Thanks for the advice. Nothing worked at first. We moved out front where found a little skiff make bait and found some good marks. After that the chum-o-matic had us on fire with Mackies!
The said part is making bait was the high light of our day.
We ran through some 75 deg.water on the way out and ended up in 72 deg water near the 209.
When we arrived, the weather was windy lumpy and snotty.
We got close and put out the trollers. Not much life other than birds out there.
At about 9AM our luck ran out. The boat ran rough for a bit and was low on power and then it was dead in the water. Yep that was our day. We waited and chumed and soaked some baits for nada. The weather got very nice. For a while we could see a bunch of birds doing there thing about 2 miles away.
A small fleet gathered there for a while and the broke up. Out tow showed up about noon time.
Trolled all the was back for one mack size bony.

Reactions: Erawk
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Yikes, don't know if I would troll with the size of these tuna. VA will not stop if you hook something that you can't drag to the boat under power, it's their policy!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Erawk

Get bent!
Dec 25, 2011
United States
Name
Eric
Boat
21' Sea Ray
Yikes, don't know if I would troll with the size of these tuna. VA will not stop if you hook something that you can't drag to the boat under power, it's their policy!

Come on, fuck it! After a day like that you gotta. If you lose a beast and a reel full of line... at least it makes for a better story. Haha.

Seriously though, glad you guys made it back alright.

Reactions: oceanski
Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Come on, fuck it! After a day like that you gotta. If you lose a beast and a reel full of line... at least it makes for a better story. Haha.

Seriously though, glad you guys made it back alright.
Haha, might as well get the story. Run a lighter leader so you can pop the knot and get your spectra back!

Upvote 0

spongehead

"ONE FISH AT A TIME"
Sep 12, 2010
garden grove, ca
Name
David
Boat
Maria
Hell yeah.... You made macs! I couldnt even do that on wednesday shit! Even tried a can of catfood to no avail. Glad ur back safe hope the parker is a fast fix get back and kill them soon!

Upvote 0

Choonaguy

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 17, 2010
Long Beach
Name
Joe Kane
Boat
none
Me personally, I would know quickly on a troll rod if I hooked the fish of a lifetime and I know vessel assist would have no problem (just like me) with them charging my account twice or even 3 times to be my "buddy boat" to land that fish.

Reactions: captainsdc
Upvote 0

Hooops

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Nov 26, 2005
Huntington Harbour
Name
Hoops
Boat
17ft Whaler Montauk - "TYFISH"
You didn't miss much other then fish watching...

We snagged one YFT on acre size schools above you - all show - no go

Upvote 0

ReelTight

Reeltard
Aug 24, 2015
oceanside ca
Name
Robert Harned
Boat
"Yeah, She's Gone!" 175 Aquasport Striper
Glad u made it in safe! Sounds like guys are still getting into the bft close to the beach. Get that boat fixed and get back out!!

Tight lines!!

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
Apr 29, 2004
Duarte/Covina
Name
karl
Boat
20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
I'm sure Mike is working on it.
I can always take my boat out.
As for the bait, we made them right at daybreak.
I had a light out earlier near the break wall it worked great, i had a whole school of 2-3" deans. When we moved outside near the other boats, the meter lit up, we dumped the Chum-o matic and it was game on W/O the light. Mike has lights on his boat. I think its all about the cat food and breadcrumb mix in the cum thingy. That and actually finding decent marks before going to work.

As for VA, if we hook something good we can always radio them that we have some issue to get them to stop. If they leave, we can always call them back on a different account. Three of us are members. It was worth the shot!

What size YFT? We snagged a 70lb one on the last trip.

Good luck out there Boyz.
See ya next Friday on some that floats!

Upvote 0