TOADSTOADSONLY, Full On Send It!!!

Discussion in 'Southern California Offshore Fishing Reports' started by toadstoadsonly, Aug 28, 2018.

1. toadstoadsonly

toadstoadsonly Just your average Jon chasing a fish of a lifetime

Name:
    JONATHAN @grindmentality1
    Boat:
    Trophy
    “Like Hemmingway's "The Old Man In The Sea". I am just a man who loves the sea, the smell, the feel, the ocean breeze is my peace. Send me away into the blue horizon and hope Poseidon blesses me with a prized bounty.”

Unicorns and Rainbows in the Horizon.

Each time we arrive to our local Islands this month I keep thinking to myself, what is this? Are we fishing Clarion Island, The Ridge, or Puerto Vallarta? At a glance, it is surreal to see ALL the long-range fleet on the horizon. We have been fishing the same zones as The Intrepid, The Constitution, Royal Polaris, The Apollo, Vagabond, The Ranger 85, Top Gun 80 and the rest of the who’s who. I am almost speechless from what this season has provided. As a Trophy Hunter, I feel extremely humbled by the offerings the fish gods have blessed upon us. It has been a little over a month since we started fishing for the Jumbo’s July 14th was the kickoff for us when we put 4 Jumbos and 11 tuna in the kill bag in a weekend. My deck mates and I have been able to put 14 Jumbos on the boat within that short time frame.

The Struggle is Real

Last year was much different for me, quite the learning curve fishing the kite with the yummy 0 for 8 was the strike count for our team. This year another curve ball is thrown having to figure out the balloon kite rig and how to fish the dead flying fish on a kite and balloon. What do you do? You do your homework, learn, and adapt. With a relatively new to all of us technique I felt like I had a hundred questions about flying the kite.

How do I skip the Yummy?

Where do I put the swivel on the kite rod? How far do I put it?

How far do I skip the flyer?

How far do I put the kite out?

What kite to use?

How far up the line do I put the flag above the Yummy Flyer?

Some questions I almost felt dumb to ask. . .. What colour flag do I use?

What kind of kite for a balloon?

Where the hell do I buy dead flying fish for and WTF do I do with it?

But I am pretty sure these are some of the same questions that run through a lot of your minds.

Even some of the captain’s and crew on the larger charter boats do not even know some of these techniques. Yesterday, I saw one of the local boats fishing a Boston Kite, with a dead flying fish on the rig. Sorry, but.. “wrong rig for the dead flyer”.

We spend thousands of dollars on fuel and everything that goes along with boat ownership and fishing. I am not a rich dude by any means and most of the time I only get to fish weekends. The thing which was killing me during that time last year was I WAS WASTING MY TIME! I spent almost 2 months trying to figure things out. At that time there was little to no info on Kite Flying on the Web. Seem like the only consistent ones were “THE GROUP IN THE KNOW” who was extremely tight-lipped about the “HOW TO DO’s and WHAT TO DO’s?”. I do understand their thought process “We spent the time to figure it out, let the rest do the same.” And they did figure it out, so they are entitled to do as they wish.

“Don’t Hate the Captain and Crew Hate the Game”

I feel blessed that there are Pay Sites like Fish Dope, Dave Hansen’s Site, Billy k’s site, Marine Traffic. It does cost a few hundred dollars to get with the program, but it is relatively cheap if you and your fishing buddies each sign up for 1 site and share the info. If your buddies are not willing to… time to find new fishing buddies.LOL

One thing I do not understand is the guys bashing these sites on here and social media for helping every day Joe’s like myself who cannot be on the water daily like the commercial guys and charter boats. We are all fisherman some of us great fisherman and some of us horrible fisherman. We all have one thing in common the love for the chase, being on the water, getting away from life’s troubles, and a having a couple cold ones with the boys. In hopes to come home with something to brag about to our family and friends. In this day and age we are in the era of technology. I do almost all my homework and have my route and coordinates mapped out before I ever hit the water. By doing my research from all the sites above, I gather all the intel and info needed to answer the bulk of my questions. What I get in return is I gain back my most valuable asset “TIME”.

“Party Like a Rockstar, Cuss Like a Sailor, fight like Leonidas”

As a superstitious Angler to succeed, I make sure I take every step and precaution for our team to succeed. The tradition is to party the night before making sure I get trashed. The best part is my buddies encourage me to do this each time we fish. I wake up in the morning to my buddies banging at my door dragging me out of bed. Rest Assured, I made sure to keep the traditions going for the past 3 trips.

Well enough of my rant, I am going to let the pictures do the talking for our past three trips.

This is the Result of our efforts:

Bait: Yummy Flyer and Fresh Dead Flying Fish

Water Temp: 72.5 degrees

Line: 130 braid to 400lb leader

These Bluefin don’t give a F about blue water they are now like a home guard yellowtail.

Moral of the story – Do your homework? Find your zones, make sure you have a game plan before you leave the dock.

Till Next Time

Go Big Or Go Home

ToadsToadsOnly

Follow me on IG Grindmentality1

IMG_20180823_172242_045.jpg 1.jpg IMG_20180823_172242_049.jpg IMG_20180823_172242_036.jpg IMG_20180818_143801_485.jpg IMG_20180823_172242_031.jpg IMG_20180823_172242_051.jpg IMG_20180823_172242_040.jpg Resized_IMG_20180817_104418_641.jpeg IMG_20180823_172242_050.jpg IMG_8393.jpg IMG-20180828-WA0005.jpg 20180828_115815.jpg 20180828_120006.jpg IMG_20180828_083047_076.jpg 20180827_111422.jpg 20180820_002230.jpg 20180827_112015.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    locvetter, D.Day, Jigslinger and 33 others like this.
  2. Hollis Harris

Hollis Harris Member

Name:
    Randy
    Boat:
    Sea hunt
    Great report, I agree that preparation is the key to success. The more information we can get all adds to a great experience on the water. Great read.

rick Jackson likes this.
  3. bdubs73

bdubs73 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    none
    Pictures won't come up. But for what it's worth I love the open, flexible perspective on learning to be a better angler and thinking of our sport in terms of community. Too many people on here want to thin about it as if it's cut throat and thats a shame. Well stated and thanks for sharing. What better reward is there than learning from others, increasing your skill and knowledge, catching fish and then passing that on to others?

4. rick Jackson

rick Jackson "Carpe diem"

Name:
    RIP Jim Peterson
    Boat:
    Glasspar Avalon/SeaQuest
  5. toadstoadsonly

Name:
    Boat:
    Trophy

They are up now. Enjoy

rick Jackson likes this.
  6. KMonkHD

KMonkHD Not pro/Not am

Name:
    Ken
    Boat:
    Ask the Ex-wife
    The haters are always going to hate. You did your homework, you caught outstanding fish. Congrats.

locvetter likes this.
  7. Lubina

Lubina Member

Name:
    RA
    Boat:
    None
    Great stuff.....just curious, how to you catch flying fish. Seems like they are being used more frequently this season.

locvetter likes this.
  8. 998R

998R Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    M
    Boat:
    Outrage
    Some of the best SoCal slayers in the game right there! Great content like always.

9. Dan Ferialdi

Dan Ferialdi Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    190 outrage
    IDK? Just go out and fish. I battled with this my whole life and my dad always had the patience to sit with a bait out on a paddy or even on twin towers for a halibut in the spring and winter months. To truly love the time on the water is the pursuit and not so much as catching. We will skip a yummy all day and watch it like it's a jackpot on a slot machine or troll Marlin lures and burn 100 gallons of fuel just to see blue water and maybe a few terns working. I have a childhood romance with being on the water and for the rest of my life I will Chase the great day where I see a big bluefin blow up on a yummi or find a kelp loaded with Dorado that will bite. We just go out and fish.

pechere, b-reel and GarytheCPA like this.
  10. Dan Ferialdi

Dan Ferialdi Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    190 outrage
    Socal bluefin moments. This was the rth of 4 toads landed on 7/27 weighing in at 327. We stabbed a 343 the next weekend

11. Dan Ferialdi

Dan Ferialdi Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    190 outrage
  12. Dan Ferialdi

Dan Ferialdi Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    190 outrage
  13. Dan Ferialdi

Dan Ferialdi Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    190 outrage
    230#

12573.jpeg

rick rouland likes this.
  14. 92107beach

92107beach Newbie

Good job guys! You deserve it. Hard work and persistence pays off.

toadstoadsonly likes this.
  15. apogee

apogee My name is Apogee and I am a Squidaholic

Name:
    Apogee..
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler Outrage 28 (End Game)
    Nice Bait tank

16. mrkrabs

mrkrabs I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Marty
    Boat:
    Lard ass

toadstoadsonly and rick Jackson like this.
  17. Dan Ferialdi

Dan Ferialdi Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    190 outrage
    As far as how far back to skip the yummy: as close as you can with it still skipping. A 3oz slider or 4 depending on how big your bird is makes skipping a lot easier. Forget about hollow braid as it creates too much wind drag to fly the kite at least makes it more difficult. The key is finding the fish usually in the afternoon wind and chop where smaller boats are getting the shit kicked out of them . You don't want to be too far back as it's harder to wind up slack release the kite and set the hook on them with a bunch of line out. Lately I heard of the big bluefin eating slid back makes Wich makes it a lot easier for small boats like ours to get them to play. Especially 4 Mile's behind Farnsworth

toadstoadsonly and rick rouland like this.
  18. Dan Ferialdi

Dan Ferialdi Newbie

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    190 outrage
    Rigging dead flying fish??? I DFK? Ask a east coat guy . From what I've heard you hold the wings open with tie wire. I would like to see a video of rigging followed by a video of how to catch those things other than running in the dark and waiting for one to hit yo in the chest

19. toadstoadsonly

Name:
    Boat:
    Trophy
    Thanks Dan, appreciate your info and nice fish. We got all the screws tightened up and most of it figured out since then. Nice fish and tight lines bud.

20. toadstoadsonly

Name:
    Boat:
    Trophy
    You just buy frozen ones, spending all night catching would be quite the chore I would assume.