I've posted enough I should edit this section
Dec 5, 2007
Santa Barbara
Name
Gary
Boat
Vagabond
Question...
Does it make a difference if you store titanium wire leader in the original "coil" or if you store in in "pre-cut lengths"?
Thanks

I made up some 3/4" PVC tubes with threaded caps that I drilled a hole in the top and knotted some 150# mono on the end and slid the tag end through and crimped it to the tube so I wouldn't lose it. 22" long tubes and I pre tie swivels or rings ( your choice) to cut lengths of Knot2Kinkey in the off season. The size of hook will change based on bait size and can be easily adjusted while on the water. Super fast and can get back in the game super quick.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
Don't know if I've ever met RideHPD in person, but I guarantee you he gets his share of surface iron fish, thanks! That wire demonstration was bitchen.
One important thing to note: the wire in the video is steel, not nickle-titanium. I've never seen that method before; looks very sano! But it wouldn't work (as shown) with Knot-2-Kinky or any other titanium leader wire. It is an alternative to the haywire twist for traditional steel wire.

This is a long-running thread, with a lot of useful information. That video is a perfect example. Unfortunately, I have stopped using single strand steel wire. I typically only use wire fishing live bait for wahoo, and I use Knot-2-Kinky for that. If I ever get a chance to fish surface iron extensively, I would like to try wire in that application too, but in relative terms I am not at all a skilled iron thrower, and these days I can't predict when I'll next get that chance.

Reactions: Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
Feb 20, 2010
Long Beach Ca.
Name
Jeff Bruner
Boat
14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
One important thing to note: the wire in the video is steel, not nickle-titanium. I've never seen that method before; looks very sano! But it wouldn't work (as shown) with Knot-2-Kinky or any other titanium leader wire. It is an alternative to the haywire twist for traditional steel wire.

This is a long-running thread, with a lot of useful information. That video is a perfect example. Unfortunately, I have stopped using single strand steel wire. I typically only use wire fishing live bait for wahoo, and I use Knot-2-Kinky for that. If I ever get a chance to fish surface iron extensively, I would like to try wire in that application too, but in relative terms I am not at all a skilled iron thrower, and these days I can't predict when I'll next get that chance.
That is a clean wire method, much cleaner than I used to use in the 70's to primarily get the jig to swim better. Mono in the 50's and 60's used to be very stiff and have an effect on how the surface iron would swim. The best wire back in the day was made by a guy named George Beachum (sp). And if you have any of that in say 40lb. it will make a decent plug great.

Big time advantage back in the day, have to see it to believe it.

FishRock

Still trying to figure it all out
Mar 27, 2013
Alaska
Name
JAM
Boat
Thunnus - 22' Koffler BayBee (1990)
I made up some 3/4" PVC tubes with threaded caps that I drilled a hole in the top and knotted some 150# mono on the end and slid the tag end through and crimped it to the tube so I wouldn't lose it. 22" long tubes and I pre tie swivels or rings ( your choice) to cut lengths of Knot2Kinkey in the off season. The size of hook will change based on bait size and can be easily adjusted while on the water. Super fast and can get back in the game super quick.
Gary,

So are you using knots? If so, what knots?

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
I'm by no means an expert, this is purely interrogative; how does Ti wire fail from those knots? I wasn't aware of that and we used them trolling (granted smaller) wahoo and yellowfin, and more importantly, boiler rock fishing. Pulled very hard on them not knowing that they weren't supposed to be tied and never had issues, but never had to hold up to sustained runs.

Rodless_Jim

Apr 3, 2008
Mexico, DF, Mexico
Name
Jim
Boat
Strictly a Rider
I'm by no means an expert, this is purely interrogative; how does Ti wire fail from those knots? I wasn't aware of that and we used them trolling (granted smaller) wahoo and yellowfin, and more importantly, boiler rock fishing. Pulled very hard on them not knowing that they weren't supposed to be tied and never had issues, but never had to hold up to sustained runs.
The titanium wire flexes and rebounds. There's no reason why those knots would fail...you just can't tie those knots in titanium wire.

CAVEAT: Not in any titanium wire I've ever seen or heard of.

The knots shown in the video are tied in wire that will hold its shape when you bend it. That is steel wire. And in point of fact you can see the packages of wire he is using at the beginning of the video:

1587680636828.png

This isn't a criticism. I think it's a very cool video and it looks like an awesome knot. I just don't think you can apply it to nickle-titanium wires like Knot-2-Kinky:

1587680784578.png

Titanium wire will bend however you want it to...it just won't stay bent.

Reactions: DLU04 and RideHPD

Squid Sammich

Aug 23, 2015
Texas
Name
Matt
Boat
To be determined
I brought the knot 2 kinky a few years back when it was very new at the advice of the charter Master. "You won't need sleeves, I'm going to show you a couple of really good knots that the developer taught me" he said. So the first day on the ride down "hey teach us those knots for the K2K wire". Oh I don't use them they don't tie or hold very well. I strictly crimp." I wanted to choke the shit out of him.

RideHPD

Enthusiastic Idiot Rookie
Aug 14, 2016
Del Mar/Marina Del Rey, CA
Name
Eric Marin
Boat
10' Model T
The titanium wire flexes and rebounds. There's no reason why those knots would fail...you just can't tie those knots in titanium wire.

CAVEAT: Not in any titanium wire I've ever seen or heard of.

The knots shown in the video are tied in wire that will hold its shape when you bend it. That is steel wire. And in point of fact you can see the packages of wire he is using at the beginning of the video:

View attachment 1137290

This isn't a criticism. I think it's a very cool video and it looks like an awesome knot. I just don't think you can apply it to nickle-titanium wires like Knot-2-Kinky:

View attachment 1137292

Titanium wire will bend however you want it to...it just won't stay bent.
Huh, I may be misremembering then but I could've sworn we were using Ti. Huh, my bad then, didn't mean to mislead anyone on that. And no criticism taken, all here to learn something each day.

Reactions: Rodless_Jim

JohnTFT

Insomniac
Feb 11, 2007
The "718"
Name
John
Boat
A big Steel One
This was another old thread where crimping Titanium wire was discussed.

Tom Honaker

Sep 27, 2015
Hotchkiss Colorado
Name
Tom Honaker
Boat
Royal Star
I know the packaging says you can tie the titanium leader wire.
Since Iam new at this is tieing fine or should I crimp ?
For 50lb wire what size single sleeve ?
Thanks,Guy
Me personally, I'd crimp it! I think it's much cleaner than tying it. I normally use single strand wire, and probably have enough in every pound test from 27# -95# , to last 5 trips! Plus every size hook combination possible! And have backup titanium wire crimped wire leaders, in every pound test imaginable combination of hook sizes too! And I very rarely fish bait for wahoo!!! I'm almost always a jig first guy, bombs second! Those fish drive me crazy!!! I should be charging them by the hour! For all years I've spent obsessing about catching them! AAAAARRRGGGHHH!

DLU04

Rail fighter
Nov 10, 2005
San Fernando Valley, CA
Name
Dennis
Boat
Intrepid
I use Knot-2-Kinky titanium wire, which comes in 25lb, 35lb, 45lb, etc. I typically use 35lb or 45lb, and I have had great success using AFW 1L sleeves and size 12 Sea Striker Krok swivels. I too use the Nicopress 17-BA swager.

I have also found this to be true. My experience has been that if I go too high on the drag, the wire overstretches, and curls up after the fish hits the deck. The crimps don't fail. I've caught tuna up to 90lbs+ on mine.
The only way to go

Calico1965

Apr 12, 2014
Name
Jeffrey Stokes
Boat
NA
Sorry for not replying earlier, been crazy busy these days! Thanks for all of the input, much appreciated!

Montaukmaniac

Thats my son, not me.
Feb 8, 2011
Westchester NY
Name
Steve
Boat
miss ion/fish on, "Wish on"
Crimp!

Triple insert, in, out & finish back into the sleeve. (as in photos above)
Crimp 2X on each sleeve with a NicoPress.

Tight lines.

Reactions: Rodless_Jim

vipertom1970

Oct 26, 2015
Inland Empire
Name
tom
Boat
2018 Parker 2320 SL