To much water in bilge

Bcrancher

Jan 17, 2022
Oregon
Name
Greg
Boat
Osprey
Have a 2004 osprey 26 long cabin with a kad43 Volvo penta,I am taking on what seems to me too much water in the bilge but can’t find the problem,heard of some problems with getting water from the fish tanks in the deck,any suggestions

Upvote 0

MYNomad

Heading South
Dec 12, 2007
Pacific Northwest / West Coast Mexico
Name
Rick
Boat
Yes
There should be no water, unless your boat drains into the bilge. If it does, you are probably stuck with that design. If it doesn't, you owe it to yourself to figure out where the water is coming from. Large quantities are usually easy to find. Once it is down to a cup or less, it gets tougher. Some rod holders will drain into the bilge (the good ones don't). AC condensers can drain into the bilge. Some deck hatches allow small quantities of water in (but the better design, with a vented-lip, do not). Dripping hose fittings are often a problem.

Reactions: salty nuts
Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
La Mesa
Name
Dan
Boat
Aquasport 215DC
Water always seems to find its way in somehow, but I am adamant about figuring out where it is coming from. My most recent boat was a leaking bait tank lid when we were in rough seas. It was almost impossible to see. I've had bilge discharge holes that are too low and take water in at certain angles, through hulls leak, hose fittings leak... take a day, flashlights, and tools, Then have a friend drive while you look. I never took on a drip in the bay, but like I said I took on alot when in rough seas from the bait tank. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Bend Session

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    wash down pump, bait tank, engine water pump, fresh water sink or toilet, possibly a thru hull fitting, out drive leak - best to wash down boat and check to see if water in bulge (this would rull out top side entry) the put your boat in the slip, turn on each pump for 5 minutes and check bilge, last resort get into the bulge with flash light..

Upvote 0

LTBOLTMAN

Team Tail Chasers
    Oct 15, 2006
    Alpine
    Name
    Leoman
    Boat
    Davis Bahia 25 Pilot House
    Have you checked outdrive bellows for cracks etc? If you can figure the general area in the bilge the water is sourcing you could narrow it down. Starting out with a completely dry bilge, tape or secure some medium, like pieces of carboard in different area's in the bilge; after short duration of running on water see whats getting wet - keep checking bilge until first signs of water start showing; or secure a gopro camera in bilge. Good Luck, keep us posted.

Upvote 0

Rhett121

Jan 25, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Name
    Rhett
    Boat
    20’ Shamrock Pilothouse
    Check your exhaust y pipe for rust holes. I had a friend who developed a dime sized hole just above the resting water level and it would leak into the bilge when you stepped onboard. You couldn’t see it until we removed the exhaust (and obviously the engine) but you could see water run down the inside of the transom, we thought it was the transom shield originally. I’m not familiar with your exact setup but it’s a hidden area on IO’s.

Upvote 0

Charts

Nothing demonstrates hope better than fishing.
  • Aug 22, 2015
    San Diego
    Name
    Charts
    Boat
    arima sea explorer 16
    ...My most recent boat was a leaking bait tank lid when we were in rough seas. ....

Mine has one of those square lids you slide in and out, and in rough seas it sloshes out some even with the lid on. How did you fix that?

Upvote 0

Danthefishman

Oct 30, 2006
    La Mesa
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Aquasport 215DC
    Mine has one of those square lids you slide in and out, and in rough seas it sloshes out some even with the lid on. How did you fix that?
    I added door insulation from home depot and covered it in silicone. It still compresses like it should, but it doesn't hold water. There are all types of thickness available. Gotta get creative sometimes!

Reactions: Charts
    Upvote 0

Islandrat

Wish I was new
    Aug 15, 2007
    Camarillo
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Davis 22 to Radon 26 to Crystaliner 33
    Run the engine a while and see if it is adding to the water. Eliminate everything one at a time, wash down, bait pump…. Good luck

Reactions: Spoons
    Upvote 0

iclypso

Sep 6, 2006
    Bay Area
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    23' Blackman Billfisher, Bimini Twist
    As mentioned above, the impeller cover is on the list of likely culprits. Do you notice any part of the engine being wet?

Upvote 0

downtime

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Sep 12, 2006
    San Diego
    Name
    Ronson
    Boat
    26 Skipjack "Reel Hard"
    Depending on where your thruhull for your bilge pump is you could be getting water pushed back thru the pump into the bilge.

Upvote 0

Carpy1

Apr 16, 2021
    SoCal
    Name
    Andrew
    Boat
    Carolina Classic 28
    notice if there is more water after washing boat down, the fish boxes and anchor rope storage could drain to bilge. Also check exhaust for drips anywhere.

Upvote 0

whitecap72

Mar 3, 2009
    rohnert park, ca, usa
    Name
    austin
    Boat
    24' skipjack
    No matter what, my skippy always has water in the bilge. I put rubber expansion plugs in the scupper holes to reduce bilge water, but always have at least a gallon by the end of the day. Wash down pump, etc will always put water in the bilge. My deck hatches aren't sealed nor is the engine box. I have 2 rule 1100's on an auto switch that are in place and can also turn on manually if needed.

Upvote 0

Bend Session

• Jan 3, 2017
    COSTA MESA
    Name
    SEAWOLF
    Boat
    JACK COLE SPECIAL
    No matter what, my skippy always has water in the bilge. I put rubber expansion plugs in the scupper holes to reduce bilge water, but always have at least a gallon by the end of the day. Wash down pump, etc will always put water in the bilge. My deck hatches aren't sealed nor is the engine box. I have 2 rule 1100's on an auto switch that are in place and can also turn on manually if needed.
    which skippy do you have 24 fly bridge

Upvote 0

Latest posts