To Much Stuff! How do you cut it down?

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
Great thread! It's so much fun to read about the mental wrestling that almost everyone goes through when preparing to go after big fish, for whatever length of time.

The main problem is that just like highest-rank military officers, we are essentially preparing to re-fight the last war we were in. We learned what we desperately needed then, and now have plenty of it. But when the time comes to go into action, somehow it doesn't go the way we expected . . .

Paring down the available tonnage of tackle options to something that fits into the vehicle and then onto the boat requires scores of hours of imaginative planning. If a certain color of lure EVER worked on a past trip, how can you go out again without at least three of it? And since it seems that every trip historically provides a new surprise beyond what you were expecting, just like a new war, the quantity of tackle keeps increasing.

The main thing that turned my own tackle-monster mania into something more manageable was starting to go on more fly-in trips rather than long boat rides. If you have to board a small boat with only three or four outfits in total and a small tackle pack to face whatever the day presents to you, you learn quickly that like Choate pictured, a deck-cart full of options isn't really necessary.
A sage assessment and analogy.

The fact that I am driving (because there is no way to fit an adequate arsenal on an airplane) I have shifted my focus to organization rather that curtailed acquisition and culling.

I have promised to limit myself to:
  • 10 rods: 30, 50, 60, 80, 80, 100, 100, 100, 130, 130
  • One reel bag
  • One deck box
  • Three bags that hold multiple 3700 sized boxes and other tackle items, for stateroom
  • One big duffel for clothes, personals, camera
  • A short ladder so I can get into the bunk safely.
  • A Yeti cooler that will stay in the SUV.
We shall see.
P.S. Debating on whether to bring my break-it machine.

No Cal Lou

No Cal Lou
Oct 1, 2009
Green Valley, Az
Name
Lou Salatich
Boat
none
A sage assessment and analogy.

The fact that I am driving (because there is no way to fit an adequate arsenal on an airplane) I have shifted my focus to organization rather that curtailed acquisition and culling.

I have promised to limit myself to:

• 10 rods: 30, 50, 60, 80, 80, 100, 100, 100, 130, 130
  • One reel bag
  • One deck box
  • Three bags that hold multiple 3700 sized boxes and other tackle items, for stateroom
  • One big duffel for clothes, personals, camera
  • A short ladder so I can get into the bunk safely.
  • A Yeti cooler that will stay in the SUV.
We shall see.
P.S. Debating on whether to bring my break-it machine.
The short ladder. This is really a sore point with me. At 71 years old the top bunk is really tough to get into. On a trip three years ago I suffered a minor fractor of the foot getting out of a bunk. All the boats should have stools or short ladders.

Last edited:
Reactions: surfgoose

Bill W

tunaholic
Jan 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Ca.
Name
Bill Walsh
Boat
Red Rooster
If you find something missing, do not work with what you have. Buy it on the boat.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
I guess a phone call would work. Asking:

#1 Is there a step stool in the stateroom?

#2 What’s my stateroom assignment? I’m thinking with the ultra limited load of 18, many of you will have a room all to yourself.

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
I'm with No Cal Lou and Steve K -- At 72 I no longer take my chances on what the bunk will be. I only ride boats which allow me to reserve a particular bunk in advance. There are quite a few excellent boats in the fleet with outstanding captains and crews that don't have this option, and that is OK with me, they will do fine without my money. But fortunately there are also some enlightened operations that make provision for older and oversize fishermen like me.

P.S. -- Older and oversize fishermen are also among the better tippers. Just sayin' for consideration by any owners and captains reading this thread.

locvetter

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 24, 2015
Name
Loc Vetter
Boat
Loc Vetter Casting
The short ladder. This is really a sore point with me. At 71 years old the top bunk is really tough to get into. On a trip three years ago I suffered a minor tractor of the foot getting out of a bunk. All the boats should have stools or short ladders.
I'm only 68, last time on the RP I was a youthful 63. They do have stools in each room. I still felt challenged, concerned that the stool would overturn.

I know what stateroom I am in for the upcoming trip, and remember the gentleman who was in it on my last trip. A pleasant lawyer. I noticed he had a ladder as he disembarked. Clearly makes life easier. I will have that assigned stateroom. I am OK with bringing my own ladder, just to make it a bit a safer for my decrepit old body.

One of the VERY experienced anglers on BD actually sent me a link to the ladder he recommended. Got it. Taking it.

If you find something missing, do not work with what you have. Buy it on the boat.
That is the plan, but they don't sell ladders.

One spectrum on which people can be in different positions is how easy it is to become upset. I have changed my position on that spectrum. Pretty tough to upset me, particularly if problems are solvable. Ladder - problem solved.

Fishybuzz

fishybuzz
Apr 4, 2003
Tucson
Visit site
Name
David Tang
Boat
Intrepid
I'm with No Cal Lou and Steve K -- At 72 I no longer take my chances on what the bunk will be. I only ride boats which allow me to reserve a particular bunk in advance. There are quite a few excellent boats in the fleet with outstanding captains and crews that don't have this option, and that is OK with me, they will do fine without my money. But fortunately there are also some enlightened operations that make provision for older and oversize fishermen like me.

P.S. -- Older and oversize fishermen are also among the better tippers. Just sayin' for consideration by any owners and captains reading this thread.

Only problem is there are only so many lower bunks and the average age of long rangers continues to climb......a ladder sounds like a solution.

Steve K

Hey, I'm gettin' bit...
Jan 2, 2005
Bishop
Name
Steve
Boat
18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
Only problem is there are only so many lower bunks and the average age of long rangers continues to climb......a ladder sounds like a solution.
Yes, at our age, and I'm 70 in May, we stand a good chance of being the younger of two anglers in a stateroom. Younger guys push the carts, too. ;)