To clip or not to clip

Dozer217

Almost A Member
Aug 12, 2010
LBC
Recently saw someone i respect saying they use clips on their rigs to change out baits, swimbaits, jigs and even spinner baits. I've also heard if the lure maker thought a clip/swivel would make the lure work better it would come with the lure. What do you guys do?

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    I still use a clip for most methods but learned from Slow jigging that jigs work best tied to the leader via a solid ring, which is attached to a split ring, attached to the jig. Research jigging setups and you'll see a lot of different methods, important stuff to learn.

I've also had to brush up on my knots (SD Jam, PR) to employ the right technique, also important.

Reactions: Explorer1
    Upvote 0

Explorer1

Almost A Member
    Jan 6, 2019
    Toronto
    Name
    San
    Boat
    None
    Used to use one of this YoYo for bottom fishing and honestly it’s very convenient and fast...... but later I noticed I retie often enough to somewhat make this redundant. I still use it once in a while because of the ball bearing swivel (if jig is twisting my braid-line too much)....now I tie direct mostly
    Just saying
    AF939ED2-F05E-4C53-A2DC-EAED727703F5.jpeg

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

yessokk

Luck favors the well prepared.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Costa Mesa, Cailf
    Name
    Walt
    Boat
    11 ft Sears W/Duel 5.2hp
    Have used 3 types of clip type attachments to jigs and they all invite disaster. Sooner or later the clip mechanism will hook itself to your standing line and that is a not a desirable situation. Agree strongly with Mr. EXplorer above especially for the jigging application where a lot of motion is involved in your presentation. Yes it is convent but it ultimately ends in disaster.

My .37 cents worth for your consideration.
    Walt

Last edited:
    Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0

lazyfisherman

Nov 28, 2006
    Garden Grove
    Name
    Bobby
    Boat
    Cattle Boats
    The tactical clip always ended up getting caught up with the spectra on my assist hooks. Swivel and a split ring. Always bring along some split ring pliers to swap out jigs.

Upvote 0